new blood tests....raised white cell count and some damage

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by sybil, Feb 4, 2003.

1. sybil

sybil New Member

to platelets.[red blood cells].oh,and my cholresterol level has gone from 5.4 to 5.7..despite joining 'weight watchers' and sticking to a low fat diet.i have only been doing the programme for 2 weeks,but i have lost 7llbs already and i really like the programme and i know i will stick to it.

but the white cell count aand the platelet damage,i have no idea what is causing that,any ideas?
    i have FMS/CFS but i haven't had a cold/infection or anything like that for over 12 months now.but my white cell count has been raised for a while now and i am getting bruises for no apparent reason.

could any of the supplements i am taking cause this?

i take 15mgs zinc,600mgs of calcium with vitamin D,1000mgs cod liver oil,1000mgs glucosamine sulphate...daily.
    but apart from the calcium and zinc,which i have only been taking for about 3/4 months,i have been taking the other stuff for about 2/3 years now,with no effect on my blood at all and yes,i have had quite a few blood tests over the last few years,so it would have been spotted by now.

i am seeing my useless doctor tomorrow,the practise nurse gave me the results today,but she wouldn't suggest any causes.

sybilxxx
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

It's not fat which causes cholesterol and lipids to be unhealthy. It's the carbs. Being on low-fat diets has caused more obesity and insulin resistance than anything ever since the medical community mistakenly advised us to cut fat from our diets. We should be cutting only the bad fats and carbs.

I know that people on the WW diet can have some orange juice at breakfast. Nothing will spike one's insulin faster than drinking orange juice. Many of us are reactive hypoglycemics and shouldn't have things which are allowed on the WW diet. You may lose weight on the diet, and that fact may eventually help with blood pressure and lipids, but a low-carb diet is much better at controlling insulin.

I don't know about the white blood count.

Love, Mikie
  3. PEACH

PEACH New Member

DEAR SIBIL: I TOO HAVE BEEN HAVING HIGH WHITE BLOOD COUNT AND HAVE NOT HAD ANY INFECTIONS THAT I KNOW ABOUT EITHER. I HAVEN'T GOTTEN ANY ANSWERS REGUARDING THIS SO IF YOU DO FIND OUT WHY YOU MAY BE HAVING THIS PROBLEM PLEASE LET ME KNOW.
    SINCERELY PEACH
  4. sybil

sybil New Member

i never drink fruit juice at all,they usually contain too much sugar.i would rather eat fruit and i don't eat citrus fruit at all,it isn't supposed to be good for people with osteoarthritis and i haven't had any citrus fruit for over 4 years now.
    i am not hypoglycemic either,i have had tests for that.
    neither do i eat a high carb diet now.

peach...i will keep you posted on the blood problems,

sybilxxx
    [This Message was Edited on 02/05/2003]
  5. sybil

sybil New Member

for my blood problems.
    he was reluctant to speculate on what may be wrong,so i will have to wait for about 4/6 weeks for an appointment.
    Peach......i will let you know what happens

sybilxxx
  6. PEACH

PEACH New Member

Dear Sibil: I am thankful that you will let me know how you make out with the blood work as I am very curious as to what could be causing this. I see my doctor on Monday and I am going to ask him if he will test me for the to see if my sugar is ok I was hypo... before but that was several years ago.
    Can't wait to hear from you again.
    Sincerely Peach
    p.s Have a wonderful Valentines Day
  7. sybil

sybil New Member

things have taken a turn for the worse.

i have plebitis,an infection in my veins.i'm taking erithromycin for that.
    yesterday,i got small bruises and tiny pinprick red dots on my legs.
    so i had to go to accident and emergency at my local hospital.
    they took a blood and urine test.
    when the needle was removed from my arm,it wouldn't stop bleeding.the blood literally poured from my arm,it took 15 minutes of applied pressure to stop the bleeding!
    the tests revealed a low platelet count,but no damage,so my doctor was wrong about the damage thing!
    i also had blood in the urine.
    my doc had already made an appointment for me to see a haematologist,so the hospital have told me to wait for that!

thanks :) i will try and have a nice valentines and the same for you,

sybilxxx

sybilxxx
  8. sybil

sybil New Member

the latest update!

sybilxxx
  9. sybil

sybil New Member

bump......

i still seem to have plebitis,even after a week of antibiotics,another week to go!

sybilxxx
  10. PEACH

PEACH New Member

DEAR SYBIL: I AM SO SORRY THAT I HAVEN'T BEEN IN FOR SO LONG I SEE NOW THAT I SHOULD CHECK THESE BOARDS MORE OFTEN. I AM SO SORRY THAT YOU ARE HAVING MORE TROUBLE AS I AM SURE YOU ALREADY HAD ENOUGH. I TOO HAVE THOSE TINY LITTLE RED DOTS DOWN IN MY WAIST AREA AND MOST RESENTLY I HAVE BEEN HAVING A TERRIBLE TIME WITH MY LEGS THE MUSCLE GET HARD AND THEY JUST WON'T RELAX. BUT OF COURSE ALL I GET FROM MY DOCTOR IS SHRUGGED SHOULDERS AND I AM GETTING SO SICK OF GETTING NO ANSWERS OR SOLUTIONS. I AM AT THIS TIME OFF MY POOL THERAPHY DUE TO THE PROBLEMS WITH MY LEGS AND I AM NOW TRY TO USE A TENS UNIT. HAVE YOU EVER TRIED ONE OF THEM AND DID IT HELP YOU. I AM NOT SURE IF I LIKE IT OR NOT THE SENSATION IS NOT THE MOST WONDERFUL. THE ONE I AM USING NOW IS HIGH FREQUENCIE AND THE NEXT WILL BE LOW. I AM SO TIRED OF WINTER IT HAS BEEN QUITE A COLD ONE HERE IN CANADA AND I CAN HARDLY WIAT TO GET THE FIRST BLAST OF SPRING. I THOUGHT THAT LAST WEEK I SMELLED SPRING IN THE AIR AND THE BIRDS WHERE SINGING LIKE IT WAS COMING BUT WE HAVE HAD TWO SNOW STORMS SINCE THEN SO MY SNIFFER MUST BE OFF LIKE THE REST OF ME.
    TAKE CARE AND I PROMISE TO LOOK HERE MORE OFTEN.
    LOVE PEACHXXXX
  11. PEACH

PEACH New Member

HEY SYBIL: JUST WANTED TO TELL YOU TO CHECK MY PROFILE SO YOU CAN GET MAY ADDY SO WE COULD WRITE TO EACH OTHER.
    TAKE CARE
    LOVE CANADIAN PEACH XXX
    [This Message was Edited on 03/14/2003]

[ advertisement ]