Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Rosiebud, Oct 7, 2008.

1. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

I've copied Rock's message which is the last one on the previous book club report post.

Hi Kids 10/07/08 05:02 AM

You just never know where a book will take you. I was reading about Bonnie and Clyde, and got taken back to MN.

The book is called Running w/ Bonnie and Clyde: the ten fast years of Ralph Fults. Fults and Clyde Barrow met in prison. Later started the gang that would come to be known by the more colorful name of the Bonnie and Clyde gang.

The gang operated strictly in the Mid-west. Was surprised to see a map showing a "site" in Minnesota. The books says a trip to Okabena, MN during the winter convinced the gang that a fast escape over icy roads was not a good idea. But other sites say Bonnie and Clyde robbed the bank and shot up the town while driving away.

Checked out the site for Okabena. The name sounds like the town should be near a swamp in Florida, doncha think? Turns out it means "place of the herons". Anyhoo, the town history shows a bank robbery in 1933, one year before Bonnie and Clyde were gunned down. But the names of Bonnie and Clyde are not mentioned.

Various sites list the amount taken as $1500, $2,500 and $25,000. And some sites say Bonnie and Clyde were not the robbers.

So the mystery is still waiting to be solved.

Fults got out of prison during WWII and went straight for half a century. He worked to help delinquent kids and to stop the prison brutality that had made Clyde and others so bent on revenge.

Illustrating where beauty lies, I found a site w/ a long verse in tribute to Bonnie.

Her headstone says, "As the world is made sweeter by the sunshine and the dew, so the world is made sweeter by the lives of folks like you."

Clyde's says, "Gone, but not forgotten." Well, I suppose it was less of a cliche 70 years ago.

2. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

sounds like you had fun researching the Bonnie & Clyde story.

I remember seeing a photo of the two of them and they were a far cry from the beautiful Warren Beatty and Faye Dunaway in
    the film. It's nice that they had people who loved them.

I'm ploughing my way through a book by Salamin Rushdie - he's the English (East Indian) guy who had a fatwa taken out on him many years back and is heavily guarded still wherever he goes. He insulted Mohammed by writing about him and has cost the British taxpayer a fortune since, to protect him.

The book is called 'Midnight's Children' and is the story of an Indian family from before the partition of India into India and Pakistan right through the partition where millions were killed. Some of it is really excellent and some of it a real chore but I have nothing else to read so I continue.

It was called the Booker of the Booker Prize.

3. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Thanks for moving my post.

Yes, the real Bonnie and Clyde were less glamorous than their Hollywood counterparts. They were sociopaths. Committed lots of robberies and murdered 12 to 14 people. (Different statistics on different sites.)

Bonnie never married Clyde. She already had a husband in prison. Some girls just find bad boys fascinating. Still do. Prisoners, even serial killers, get letters from women; some offering marriage.

Remember a few years ago in this country a female deputy helped a prisoner escape?

I tried reading Rushdie's Satanic Verses a couple decades ago. I doubt it would have sold a dozen copies if such a fuss hadn't been made over it.

It opened up w/ a guy falling thru the air. Some chapters later he was still falling. I quit reading at that point.

As illustrated by the Rushie case and the liberation of India from England and the resulting war, an awful lot of religious people are extremely violent. But, of course, that is evident in the history of the UK too.

Be a nice world if people would leave each other alone, but history teaches that they can't. Look at all the churches that preach hatred against gay people. It's all around us.

At least Bonnie and Clyde didn't pretend to be something they weren't.

4. rockgor

Welcome to the book club. We usually have a book of the month to discuss, but we didn't have one for Sept. But even when we have a designated book, people talk about whatever book they feel like discussing.

And sometimes people can't get the book of the month at their library, or they don't like it, or they dropped it in the bathtub. We are not very rigid about rules here. In fact, we don't have any rules.

I never heard of the town of Lindstrom altho I am familiar with it as a surname. Went to the site. Love the coffee pot water tower.

Looks like a nice place. I have been in CA 40 years now. Survey says: CA has nicer weather. MN has nicer people.

I went to school in St. Paul and worked for Hennepin County
  5. rockgor

do ya like them apples? The computer/site/whatever wouldn't let me type any more on the previous post.

Anyway I worked for Hennepin County as a social worker. If only it weren't for those terrible winters I'd move back.

Vilkommen and come back often.

6. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

nice to meet you Cate, we don't have many members in our book club.

Rock I am what many would term a heathen, having been raised as a christian and grown up to see the hypocricy everywhere and like you said, so many wars because of religion. And yes, the non-acceptance and indeed, condemnation of those of us who don't conform.

I know there are decent religious people but there are also decent heathens.

7. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

yes simplicity without discrimination - well said Cate.

Jean love these new words - especially 'conpassion'.

I've given up on midnights children - I need to get some books from library.

8. bct

bct Active Member

One of Stephen Booth's novels: Blind to the Bones; a mystery that takes place in England in Derbyshire. This is in a series, the Diane Fry/Ben Cooper detectives or coppers or whatever. Quite good, very atmospheric.

On a lighter note I have begun to read IN SEQUENCE M.V.Beaton's Agatha Raisin series (many volumes) of light, humourous mystery stories. Rockgor has recommended her before, I do think.

A book site I recommend is This is a very useful site covering comprehensive biblios. and bios., listings of books in ALL fiction categories, and where they can be found. Check this site out; I think you will like it!

On the non-fiction side I am reading a book called Everyday Life in Ancient Rome. I have also been reading the fiction series by Lindsey Davis set in the Roman Empire, a series that follows the trials and tribulations of an ordinary "detective" in ancient Rome -- a very well done, multi-volume series starting with SIVER PIGS.

Regards to all you Readers,

9. bct

bct Active Member

INTERESTING words. But bustard is a REAL word -- a bird. I know this from experience -- when I was a child I asked my mom if she had ever seen a bustard and she freaked on me; I guess she had not!!!! LOL.

10. rockgor

and clever, newly-coined words. Must admit I never heard any of them at Mensa meetings tho.

I posted more about the Bonnie and Clyde-Okabena bank robbery on Ken's post titled: Read anything good lately?

Looked through the latest Daedalus Book catalog. Put three books on hold. There was a 4th one I decided I didn't want, but I can't remember why I didn't want it. Like so many topics in life, I will have to stew about it some more.

There was a recommendation of writer Richard Russo in the catalog. On checking the library site I discovered he is the Pulizer-Prize winning author of a book I had home from the library a couple weeks ago.

I didn't care much for the first 20 pages. When he started talking about garage sales during the l940s I decided he didn't know what he was talking about and quit reading.

So hard to find a good author. No wonder we keep re-reading old favorites.

11. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

I'm fed up with choosing books that turn out to be complete rubbish or just not very well written.

My latest is short stories by Jeffrey Archer based on stories he heard in jail (he's a very rich author, ex-member of commons) - he was jailed for perjury and for perverting course of justice in 2001, for 4 years- out in 2003. Even murderers and rapists serve only around half their sentences here in UK, even less.

Anyway I read his books many years back - Kane and Able - and really enjoyed him but not enjoying his short stories much.

I need a good book that keeps me wanting to pick it up and I haven't had one for awhile now.

12. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

Jeffrey Archer's short stories are very entertaining

Cat O'Nine Tails

all based on true stories he heard while in prison.

I'm glad I gave it another chance.

13. rockgor

Yes, Cate, I've been puny. For decades! When I woke up from my nap today, the first thing that came to mind was "Zombie". I just kinda drag myself around the house year after year. Too bad Mezombie is already using the name.

What's really sad is 1) I'm actually a little better than I was the last couple ah years, and 2) I'm probably in better shape than most of the gang here.

Well, at least I can still read. Just finished a biography of Grant Wood: Artist in Iowa. The book came out during WWII, shortly after Wood died at the age of 51.

He fit the classic image of an artist. Only interested in what interested him. Impractical. Not interested in making money. Idealistic. Nothing too much trouble if it would improve his current project.

He was unknown until American Gothic won a prize in 1930, and then he was suddenly famous. I wondered why the photos in the book didn't show his most famous painting. Inspection revealed it had been removed from the book.

Am currently reading bios of Ingrid Bergman and Leslie Jordan (actor) and a true crime book.

Wasn't there a character in the Jan Karon series named Puny?
    Think she was a cook/housekeeper or some such.

Gordon just started the first book of her new series on Father Tim. Sounds a little too religious for me.

In spite of the down-to-Earth, home-spun, small-town nature of her books, Jan Karon is real glamor girl in her photos. She looks like a movie star.

Good to see you, Barry. I remember the kori bustards show up in documentaries of Africa sometimes.

"Books and gardens and friends; as necessary as food and drink and shelter. And even more delightful."
    Lady Sylvia Wentworth

Rosie, I posted here a year or two ago about Jeffrey Archer's prison books. Think there were three of them. What surprised me was that he said almost nothing about the events that got him imprisoned.

Jean, is it hard to get a computer at the library? Our closest branch has roughly 30 computers. If you want one, you have to go when the kids are in school.

14. bct

bct Active Member

a Ruth Rendell novel, 'Not in the Flesh', one of her Inspector Wexford novels (mystery). I've read a lot of her books in the past and have enjoyed most of them. The Wexford novels aren't too gloomy or dark, which is what I want.

And I am continuing the Marcus Didius Falco ancient Roman mystery series by Lindsey Davis, the first of which is'The Silver Pigs', followed by 'Shadows in Bronze'. Many more follow, and are very well written; if you like fictional history 'lite' you might try these. Falco has a most curious streak of humor in his character, also just what I want. Nothing too grim for me these days. I gave up on Patricia Cornwell years ago.....

Regards, and happy reading,