New book out: Chronic Fatigue Syndrome for Dummies

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kholmes, Feb 5, 2009.

1. kholmes

kholmes New Member

Just got my copy from Amazon, but haven't read it yet.

Has anyone else read this? At least if CFS is now in the "For Dummies" book series, it seems
    to further legitimize our the illness. Hope it's accurate, on track, and helpful.
  2. Andrew111

Andrew111 Member

I have the book. I think it could be the best "starter" book for people who have been hit with CFS. It can also be helpful for people who already know a lot, because it covers more topics than other books do. For example, topics like how to to an elimination diet, helping children with CFS, how to discuss CFS at work, and more.

My one objection to it is the coverage of exercise. They only touch briefly on post exertion malaise, and then fail to explain in the different exercise sections how to chart reactions and avoid problems. My recommendation is to ignore the exercise advice until after they have read Bruce Campbell's stuff about exercise.
    [This Message was Edited on 02/06/2009]
  3. kholmes

kholmes New Member

I just noticed that, too. I am totally unable to exercise, and a lot of us have to be extremely careful about post-exertional malaise.
  4. Andrew111

Andrew111 Member

Yes, the important thing to do is be very careful. They do say this, but they don't explain enough about how to manage this.

But I think the range of topics they cover is very impressive. And now that you reminded me of this book, I got it off the shelf and I'm going to reread some of it.
  5. springrose22

springrose22 New Member

Post exertional malaise is THE hallmark symptom of ME/CFS. A book that only barely touches on this is just not worth the time and money. How could anyone write a book about ME/CFS and not deal with this in depth??? That is mind boggling to say the least. Marie
  6. Andrew111

Andrew111 Member

In fairness to the book, they do mentioned "push and crash," they do have a brief paragraph about post exertion malaise, and they do include some mentions in bullet lists.

And despite my disappointment, I can't think of any books that have better general coverage. So I have to put it on my top three most-helpful book list. The the other two books being Osler's Web, and Recovery from Chronic Fatigue Syndrome.