New care giver who is scared.

Discussion in 'Caregivers' started by Bar, Aug 21, 2004.

1. Bar

Bar New Member

My husband was diagnosed with parkinsons about 6 weeks ago. His symptoms are not really bad. One foot drops and he stumbles sometimes. He is always tired and has a very slight tremor in his hand but only once in a while. I have been trying to read everything I can on the net about parkinson but it is so depressing. It is really terrible to read about how much some of the PWP are suffering. I worry so much about the possibility of dementia because we have no resources to provide nursing home care. I have never been a person that worried about things that hadn't happened yet but suddenly that has changed. I think all the time about how I can provide care for him. I have a great many health problems myself. Diabetes with many complications. I am not allowed to lift anything over 10 pounds because of retinopathy. He is also diabetic and has just started insulin. How do we cope with all this when the future looks so dark. He is 72 and has had some symptons for 2 or 3 years. Sorry to be so negative. Guess its the rainy morning bothering me. I usually see the better side of things but right now I can't find it.
  2. Yesh

Yesh New Member

going to the parkinson's board they have here, I am sure the people there will be albe to give you the information and support you are looking for.

God Bless

3. PVLady

PVLady New Member

First, I am so sorry your husband has Parkinsons.

I don't know which state you are in, but I am pretty sure you can get state assistance to help with your husband.

Eventually he might need to be in a residential care facility. We went through this with my dad and he was much better off in a facility. My mother was not able to care for him. She just could not do it - no matter how bad she wanted to. We had a hospital bed at home, and a caregiver came in to help, that really did not work either.

I know it is sad, these things seem to happen overnight. Just do the best you can. I would do an internet search for social services in your state. If you do not have "resources" you will need to have your husband qualified for state aid -

Another alternative is, if you own your home, to take a reverse mortgage, and use the money to pay for someone to come in and help with him. You can hire a live in person as a caregiver.

There is no question you will need help with this.

I know this is all terrible to face, but I also went through that with my dad. I believe if he is disabled from Parkinsons he will qualify for assistance.

[This Message was Edited on 08/31/2004]
  4. WakeMeUp

WakeMeUp New Member

They had a special on one of the morning shows that told about how many people are misdiagnosed with Parkinson's or Alzheimers disease.

Has your Mom had an MRI of her head??? Usually they don't waste their time doing tests on older people and just say they have Parkinson's or Alzheimer's when in fact they have something else altogether.

It is called NORMAL PRESSURE HYDROCEPHLY" or NPH. This means that the person has fluid on the brain and can cause Parkson's like symptoms.

The man they showed on the program had all the symptoms of Parkinson's, but after they did an MRI it turned out he had MPH. They did a surgery by implanting a shunt in his head (which he cannot feel) which causes the fluid to go to the stomach and not stay on the brain.

Amazingly, the minute the operation was over, all of his symptoms disappeared!! He did not have Parkinson's after all.

They said that you must demand an MRI test from your doctor. So, please do that. This is wonderful news to those that are suffering so badly.
  5. rrrjtl

rrrjtl New Member

I am so sorry to hear that you are having to go through all of this at one time.

My only suggestions are first of all, cherish each day you have with him. Try to stay positive as best as you can. The only other suggestion I have is to try and find help from family, friends or if need be find him a good residential care home. That is a hard decision to make but at some point it may be the best one, for the both of you.

My prayers are with you and your family.
  6. smilingFace

smilingFace New Member

I just joined this message board, and I would like to know how things look to you after these many months since you posted your message.

How is your diabetes? I have been insulin dependent for 35 years, and lately I've had great trouble resisting sweets. My husband has dementia - early stages. And I guess I'm more upset about it than I'd realized....for me that leads to overeating!
    take heart - smilingFace