NEW CDC head director

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by denis321, May 15, 2009.

1. denis321

denis321 New Member

Dr. Thomas Frieden, announced today, appointed by Obama. This is the overall head of CDC, not just the CFS division. He replaces Julie Gerberding. It would be good if there was some way to get him to re-focus the CFS research program at CDC.

2. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

if we flood him with the type of info that was brought up at the recent 5 year plan thing that would help.....although I know nothing about him, so he could be as bad as the rest or a ton better
  3. mezombie

mezombie Member

Thanks for posting this, Denis321.

He sounds feisty. Let's hope he's in our corner!
  4. outofstep

outofstep Member

The dept of health (Frieden was still the commissioner) was told about a new flu outbreak in NYC schools on 5/8 but they (dept. of health) refused to close the schools b/c they said that the flu was no longer a threat. Well now 11 schools will be closed on Monday, and an assistant principal has died from flu.
    This is getting really scary, and I don't have a whole heck of a lot of hope for Frieden if this is how he deals w/ epidemics.
  5. jasminetee

jasminetee Member

In all fairness, this flu epidemic is new territory for us. I think they're handling it as best they can. Flus always have killed people, even nowadays too. This is a scary one though.

6. outofstep

outofstep Member

Sorry but I disagree-I think that if the head of the teachers union calls the dept. of health to tell them that a large # of faculty members and students are sick with the flu then they should investigate it-not ignore it for a week until a teacher is hospitalized. IMO the mayor/dept. of health did not want any more bad publicity b/c of the negative impact on tourism-in fact the mayor said that people should not be wearing surgical masks in public.

It seems like the govt's MO is always "ignore it and it will go away"-same as with CFS. It's incredibly frustrating.