New cleaner diet causing bad wind and burping (sorry). Why? rop

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by shelbo, Sep 25, 2008.

1. shelbo

shelbo New Member

The last few days I've been eating lots of fruit, veg, lean protein like free-range chicken, salmon, white fish and some wholemeal bread with soya spread and 100% pure rye crackers, oh and oats with oat milk for breakfast. I've also been nibbling on raw carrots for snacks with a little houmous and have been eating a few nuts each day, mainly walnuts and brazil nuts. I've also been taking a green food drink, flax seed caps, cal/mag caps and grapeseed extract (between 200mg and 300mg per day).

I have totally avoided unatural foods and have had no junk food, choc or milk. I have been cut out tea and coffee (though I barely drank the latter anyway) and have been drinking fruit teas, green tea and some lemn in hot water to alkalise. I have been drinking regular water (bottled mineral) also and some Badoit and San Pellegrino water too. I often drink all the above drinks's just that I've cut out tea with milk and coffee completely. I do not drink alcohol. My aim has been to minimise yeast and grains and to completely cut out milk and things made from it. I am not going to cut out the natural yest which I know will occur in fruit and nuts. I honestly believe, unless we know we have problems with so many foods, that cutting out so many is more detrimental...don't know if I'm wrong?

I have been doing very gentle exercise (stretches mostly which I do anyway).

I have been feeling fairly awful and since this healthy eating kick started I've been plagued even more by my sinus pain (which I have all the time and has become much worse lately - as has my rosacea - if I try to go outside!
    :( The last few days the sinus pain and eye pain has been intolerable but I don't want to take meds as I am highly sensitive to them and my anti-histamine has lactose which I'm strictly avoiding.

I thought maybe this worsening is a herxheimer's (sp??) reaction ... but if I am eating so healthily, I don't know why my tummy is grumbling (not with hunger) and I am passing wind (*goes red with shame)and burping a LOT more than usual. Also (*more shame!) my toilet deposits (LOL...looking for a nice description) have been very torn fabric at the edges and lots of it...Yuk! Sorry! I've been going less but there's more... :(

Any insights would be greatly appreciated... :) If this is some kind of herx?? reaction, how long till it passes?

Thanks, Shell :)

2. Catseye

Catseye Member

Maybe you are low on stomach acid and digestive enzymes?

Rich posted a simple test for stomach acid, I haven't done it - I already knew mine was low:

If you want to test to see if your stomach acid is low, you can try this simple test at home: On an empty stomach, such as first thing in the morning, drink an 8-ounce glass of water into which you have mixed one-quarter teaspoon of baking soda (sodium bicarbonate). Using a clock or watch, measure how long it is before you burp. If you have enough stomach acid, you should burp within two minutes. If you haven't burped within 5 minutes, you can stop timing.

If it's low, then you aren't breaking down fats and proteins properly. And undigested food can cause gas.

If you find it low, consider trying betaine hcl (not to be confused with betaine, which is an amino acid) and digestive enzymes. I take three 700 mg betaine hcl pills with my meals AND digestive enzymes. That's with meals containing meats or eggs. If I just have a snack of nuts, then I just take one. You need the digestive enzymes with every meal, but the betaine hcl only with meals containing fats and proteins, like meats, eggs, fish and nuts.
  3. goofgirl

goofgirl New Member

I know switching to a drastically high fiber diet will cause the gas and other intestinal problems. I've heard it reccomended that you add more fiber rich foods in slowly to prevent this from happening. I've definitely been there at times where I've done a lot more fruits and veggies suddenly. It should pass (no pun intended!)

4. celeste1226

celeste1226 New Member

You are cleaning out your system. with all the good foods now. It is breaking up the fat and you are passing it when you go poo. You may also notice your urine maybe darker or smell. Even your breath may have an odd odor. This is all part of breaking up the fat in your body. Now this is according to the adkins diet. which I was on for a while.
  5. xchocoholic

xchocoholic New Member

Food intolerances are common for anyone with CFS/ME/FM. The best way to determine if a food bothers you is to eliminate it for awhile and then add it back.

The time frame given for eliminating foods varies. For digestive issues, I'd remove it for a couple of weeks and then try it again. But for nuero problems you'll need to eliminate it for at least one year.

More than likely when you went on this diet, you added more of a food that you're intolerant too and that's why your digestive symptoms are worse.

I'd start by eating just those foods that typically don't cause digestive issues for about 2 weeks ... plain organic baked chicken or fish, peas, asparagus, pears (no skin) and applesauce.

Then try one new food at a time to see how you react.

Be sure to eliminate all foods you know bother you now. No need wasting time with those ...

Fresh papaya, mango and pineapple are natural digestive enzymes and will give you some additional calories ...

Probiotics are good right now too ...

HTH .. Marcia

6. shelbo

shelbo New Member

only cause....that I'm eating more of stuff I'm intolerant to? I mean, I'm practically not eating wheat or dairy...just mostly veg, fruit, chicken, fish, rice, quinoa, oats, fresh nuts, fruit teas, water etc

There seem to be so many different opinions here re the increased wind etc... not sure which to go with...I thought I might just be herxing esp as I have totally cut out sugar, choc, sweets, white carbs literally overnight and have added different supplement...

I expected to feel worse before I felt better but didn't expect the tummy noises and wind. My mum seems to think a high veg and fruit intake will create lots of wind and a change in bowel movements at first??

Thanks everyone and Xchocoholic but not sure who's right.

I was food intolerance tested 5 years back and the only thing I showed a reaction to was milk, hazelnut and sunflower seeds. I was on the cusp of reacting to yeast, maize and millet and egg white. I have totally cut out dairy and am limiting yeast intake vastly...I need to do that one gradually...I was found not to be intolerant of any meat, veg or fruit but I do suspect I don't get on well with cooked tomatoes since I always feel my rosacea pain is worse the next day..

Thanks everyone...any further ideas or input welomed! :) Shell