New Crochet

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by PVLady, May 22, 2008.

1. PVLady

PVLady New Member

I recently started a new pattern which looks nice and old fashioned. It is very easy. It is called the "Paris Stitch" This is very easy once you get through the first row, you just keep repeating.

I am using a size G hook but you can use J and it still looks great. Also, the new "Clover" crochet hooks are so neat- all your stitches look so uniform, like a machine.

I am using "Vanna White" pink yarn. It is a soft peachy pink. She has so many beautiful colors and this yarn looks great.

First - Make chain as wide as you want - I usually do 150 chain stitches for a "throw" - (do multiples of 3 stitches and add 1 for foundation chain).

DC - Double Crochet
    SC - Single Crochet
    Ch- Chain

ROW 1.

1 DC in 4th CH from hook

2 CH and 1 SC in same chain stitch as last DC

* Skip 2 CH, (2DC, 2CH, 1SC) in next chain stitch.

Repeat from * to end and turn.

(In other words, in the "same" 4th chain space, put one DC, then do 2 chain stitches, and 1 SC.

Then skip 2 chain spaces and do 2 DC, 2 chain stitches and 1 SC in that chain space - keep doing this to the end of the chain and turn to start row 2. At the end of the first chain row, when turning, do three chain stitches as per the instructions below for beginning of row 2.

ROW 2.

3 Chain stitches, skip first SC, (1DC, 2 CH, 1 SC) in the first chain 2 space.

*Skip (2 DC and 1 SC, (2 DC, 2 CH, 1 SC) in next 2 chain space.

Repeat from * to the end, turn

Repeat row 2

*Note, each time you start a new row, the very first "Paris Stitch" has just one DC, 2 CH and 1 SC. The remainder of "Paris Stitches" across the row have 2 DC, 2 CH and 1 Sc in the chain 2 spaces.

(to explain again, on the second row, you begin with 3 chain stitches. Then skip the first SC and in the first chain 2 space, do one DC,2 CH and 1 Sc.

Skip 2DC and 1 SC - and all across to the end put 2 DC, 2 CH and 1 SC in the chain 2 spaces. You can easily see the chain 2 space and will quickly get used to it.

I know instructions seem complicated at first but it is really easy.

This pattern is from "The Crochet Bible" by Betty Barnden.

*** I made a correction on row 2 from yesterday. You skip the first SC and make your first Paris stitch in the first chain 2 space.
    [This Message was Edited on 05/23/2008]
  2. chutzpaw

chutzpaw Member

I just bought instructions to crochet a teddy bear. My grandma crocheted so many of my toys I thought I might like it. The instructions are confusing but I'm going to try. Maybe I'll end up with a bear or maybe just a blob of yarn for the cat to unravel! lol I've never made anything but a potholder before, and that was years ago. Wish me luck!
  3. Denamay

Denamay New Member

I tried your other crochet pattern and it worked great. I made a cushion cover, 2 baby blankets and am working on a throw for my daughter. So, if you recomend this pattern I will give it a try. Thanks for the good hints! Love Denamay
  4. PVLady

PVLady New Member

denamay, I am glad the pattern worked for you. I never recommend a pattern unless I have actually done it and feel it is easy and good looking.

Sometime you should check out the new line of yarn by Vanna White. It is the most lovely colors I have seen and if you look at some of her books she has many examples of color mixing.

I have ADD in a major way and reading crochet patterns is very hard for me, also following the instructions.

On the other hand, it is soooo relaxing...

chutzpaw, when you start doing crochet, you will have many messes, but the ones you can do make up for it. I have been crocheting for 30 plus years and am "average". I am trying to become great if possible, ha ha. It is always a challenge.

[This Message was Edited on 05/23/2008]
  5. Denamay

Denamay New Member

I live in Canada and am not sure if I can get the Vanna White line here, but will check it out. Thanks again for the neat tips! Denamay
  6. bevy2most

bevy2most New Member

I am about half way done with an afghan, It is fairly simple. It is called Sweet Dreams. I am doing it in pastels, I hope one day to be a Grandmother...not yet, but one day. It is the first time that I have crocheted using 2 pieces of yarn.

I will be starting your pattern as soon as I finish this one.

I wanted to try your last one also I will have to look it up. I am all about the easy stitches....

You should post a pic of your throw when you are done.

[This Message was Edited on 05/26/2008]
  7. PVLady

PVLady New Member

Yes, I will take a picture when it is done. I have a book that has so many stitches and I am experimenting with many.

The one I am sharing here I like because it just looks so old fashioned and cozy. I haven't decided on a trim yet.

Is the afghan you are doing now complicated? How big is it and what colors are you using? I am so bad about deciding on colors.

I am doing the above throw with a dusty pink using just one color. I may do the trim in a cream color.
  8. bevy2most

bevy2most New Member

The finished afghan will be 40"x49" at least that is what the instructions say lol.

I am not very good at picking colors either. So just picked baby colors. All pastels pink, blue, green, purple, yellow, and white. The white is always used as the base color and you crochet with alternating colors with it. This is the first time that I have used such a big needle (size p) it was a little ackward getting used to it but it has gotten easier.

The stitch is not that complex, the most time was getting used to the needle, and using 2 pieces of yarn. I am very impressed with the stitch.

I will take a pic and post soon. If you are interested I will send you the instructions.

How big is your throw? I have not seen the Vanna yarn here. I will keep looking for it.

9. PVLady

PVLady New Member

You can find Vanna White yard online and they have pretty good pictures of the colors. It is a very nice quality, I love it.

Yes, I would love to have your pattern. As for my "throw" I don't really measure. I do a chain stitch kind of estimating the width I want, then make the length I like. I will measure it when done and let you know.

I also started another easy, fun stitch called "Ripple Stitch"

You many the base chain in multiples of 3 plus add 2 for foundation chain.

Row 1

DC in 3rd chain from hook

*Skip 2 chain, (1 SC, 2 DC) in next chain.

Repeat from * to last chain 3.

Skip 2 chains, 1 SC in last chain and turn.

Row 2

2 chain, 2 DC in first SC

* skip 2 DC, (1 SC, 2 DC) in next SC

1 SC in 2nd chain, turn

Repeat row 2

I am using three colors - white, pink and dusty green. This one is a baby blanket.

This looks neat and feels great.