new de meirleir study-hhv6/7, EBV, parvo

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by outofstep, May 6, 2009.

1. outofstep

outofstep Member

reposted from prohealth

Detection of herpesviruses and parvovirus b19 in gastric and intestinal mucosa of chronic fatigue syndrome patients – Source: In Vivo, Mar-Apr 2009

by M Fremont, K De Meirleir, et al.
    May 6, 2009

Background: Human herpesvirus-6 (HHV-6), Epstein-Barr virus and parvovirus B19 have been suggested as etiological agents of chronic fatigue syndrome, but none of these viruses is consistently detected in all patients.

However, active viral infections may be localized in specific tissues, and, therefore, are not easily detectable.

The aim of this study was to investigate the presence of HHV-6, HHV-7, EBV and parvovirus B19 in the gastro-intestinal tract of CFS patients.

Patients and Methods: Using real-time PCR, viral DNA loads were quantified in gastro-intestinal biopsies of 48 CFS patients and 35 controls.

• High loads of HHV-7 DNA were detected in most CFS and control biopsies. EBV and HHV-6 were detected in 15%-30% of all biopsies.

• Parvovirus B19 DNA was detected in 40% of the patients versus less than 15% of the controls.

Parvovirus B19 may be involved in the pathogenesis of CFS, at least for a subset of patients.

The gastro-intestinal tract appears as an important reservoir of infection for several potentially pathogenic viruses.

Source: In Vivo, Mar-Apr 2009;23(2):209-13. PMID: 19414405, by Frémont M, Metzger K, Rady H, Hulstaert J, De Meirleir K. Protea Biopharma, Zellik, Belgium. [E-mail:]
  2. Forebearance

Forebearance Member

Yikes. What is HHV7?

3. ulala

ulala New Member

Does anyone know how these viruses can be treated that are in the stomach?
  4. ladybugmandy

ladybugmandy Member

great post! i didn't know demeirleir was doing a study!

if i remember correctly, dr. ablashi told me that HHV7 is carried by almost everyone - it is even more common that HHV6. it's common for people with CFS to have high antibody titres to HHV7.

you treat herpes viruses in the stomach the same way you treat them anywhere else, with antiherpetic drugs.

parvo must be treated with IV gammaglobulin i think...
  5. outofstep

outofstep Member

Forebearance here's some info from the emerging worlds website:

Human Herpes Virus 7 (HHV7)

Four years after the isolation of HHV-6, another herpesvirus was discovered. Because of the similarities in genes and gene products between HHV-6 and HHV-7 some cross-reactivity have been noted. It is not known whether it causes any disease.

HHV-7 is most closely related to HHV-6 at the genetic level, among all known herpesviruses, and its next closest sibling is human cytomegalovirus (HCMV). HHV-7 has not, as yet, been classified, although its genetic and biological properties would seem to be consistent with a similar classification proposed for HHV-6, which is in the genus Roseolovirus, within the beta herpesvirus subfamily.

Human herpesvirus 7 (HHV-7) is a recently described T-lymphotropic herpesvirus, which infects almost all children by the age of three years and persists lifelong, with the shedding of infectious virus in saliva. HHV-7 is similar to human herpesvirus 6 (HHV-6) in its genetic content and in many of its biological properties, which include the ability to cause at least some cases of exanthem subitum (roseola). Despite these similarities, important differences between HHV-7 and HHV-6 exist, including the fact that HHV-7 binds to the cellular CD4 molecule and uses this protein as a necessary component of its receptor, while HHV-6 binds to a different (and unknown) receptor. Furthermore, the pathogenesis and sequelae of HHV-7 infection remain very poorly understood.

In initial studies, it was established that HHV-7 infection was widespread among populations in the USA, Europe and Japan. It was observed that it was acquired later in life than HHV-6 (older than 3 years). The source of the virus appears to be saliva, because HHV-7 can be easily found in oral secretions or seroimmune adults.

No apparent disease occurs in late childhood that could be associated with an acute HHV-7 infection. It might be responsible for a syndrome mimicking roseola associated with acute HHV-6 infection, since seroconversions to HHV-7 antigens has been documented. Acute HHV-7 infection has also been associated with hepatitis in an 18-month old girl. Pending the results of further investigations, the most likely conclusion is that primary HHV-7 infection is not associated with a definable syndrome in the majority of children who acquire HHV-7 infection after 2 years of age.

[This Message was Edited on 05/07/2009]
  6. outofstep

outofstep Member

ulala here's the study for general treatment of HHV-6

J Clin Virol. 2006 Dec;37 Suppl 1:S33-8.

Use of valganciclovir in patients with elevated antibody titers against Human Herpesvirus-6 (HHV-6) and Epstein-Barr Virus (EBV) who were experiencing central nervous system dysfunction including long-standing fatigue.

Kogelnik AM, Loomis K, Hoegh-Petersen M, Rosso F, Hischier C, Montoya JG.
    Stanford University School of Medicine, Stanford, CA, USA.
    BACKGROUND: Twelve patients with long-standing symptoms of central nervous system (CNS) dysfunction were found to have elevated antibody titres to human herpesvirus-6 (HHV-6) and Epstein-Barr virus (EBV). All patients had four or more of the following neurocognitive symptoms: impaired cognitive functioning, slowed processing speed, sleep disturbance, short-term memory deficit, fatigue and symptoms consistent with depression. OBJECTIVES: We sought to determine whether elevated antibodies to EBV and HHV-6 indicated chronic viral activation in patients with CNS dysfunction and if their symptoms could be improved by suppressing viral activity with oral valganciclovir. STUDY DESIGN: Patients with high IgG antibody titers against HHV-6 and EBV who were suffering from central nervous system dysfunction and debilitating fatigue for more than one year (median 3 years, range 1-8 years) were treated with 6 months of valganciclovir in an open label study. RESULTS: Nine out of 12 (75%) patients experienced near resolution of their symptoms, allowing them all to return to the workforce or full time activites. In the nine patients with a symptomatic response to treatment, EBV VCA IgG titers dropped from 1:2560 to 1:640 (p = 0.008) and HHV-6 IgG titers dropped from a median value of 1:1280 to 1:320 (p = 0.271). Clinically significant hematological toxicity or serious adverse events were not observed among the 12 patients. CONCLUSION: These preliminary clinical and laboratory observations merit additional studies to establish whether this clinical response is mediated by an antiviral effect of the drug, indirectly via immunomodulation or by placebo effect.

[This Message was Edited on 05/07/2009]
  7. outofstep

outofstep Member

I didn't think that he was doing a study either but after I read about it remembered this from the IACFS/ME conference summary-so this must have been what he was up to:

Kenny de Meirleir (Brussels, Belgium) opened this session with an overview of his research looking at herpes virus and parvovirus B19 DNA in the gastric and intestinal mucosa of patients with CFS. HHV7 was frequently found in both patients and controls. EBV and HHV6 were also detected in patients and controls, and HHV6 was detected significantly in a small subset of patients in duodenum and stomach. However, parvovirus B19-DNA was detected significantly more frequently in the stomach of patients more frequently than controls, and B19 DNA was found in the peripheral blood of those biopsy-positive patients. One case study of a 20 year old female (+ve B19) was treated for 4 months with ? globulin and there was no residual load of B19.

8. acer2000

acer2000 New Member

Do you have a link to the actual study in pubmed?

9. outofstep

outofstep Member

It looks like they only have the abstract that I posted though-if you want the study you'll have to get access to the journal[This Message was Edited on 05/07/2009]
  10. Forebearance

Forebearance Member

Thanks, outofstep!

11. ulala

ulala New Member

I'm going to re-start valcyte and cut back on the antibiotics.

ladybugmandy-I thought Dr. Chia was using oxymatrine and interferon to treat the entervirus in the stomach. I'm not sure if the treatment is the same for systemic involvement as for the stomach/enterovirus?

I didn't know that IVIG treats Parvo B19. I've been getting IVIG once a month and it is helping me, but my progress seems slow.

Thanks again!
  12. ladybugmandy

ladybugmandy Member

ulala...yes dr chia uses interferon and oxymatrine for enterovirus...i was referring only to herpes and parvo viruses in my post above...sorry for the mixup.

have you been tested for parvob19?

13. SpiroSpero

SpiroSpero New Member

Hi all,

the great problem I see is the following:

"High loads of HHV-7 DNA were detected in most CFS and control biopsies. EBV and HHV-6 were detected in 15%-30% of all biopsies."

This means that the viruses were not only found in PWCs but also in controls! So healthy people seem to have these viruses too.

I'm a laymen but in my eyes we all have an immune deficiency or some other central cause that is repsonsible for the co-infections. I don't think that these viruses are the root cause for CFS but much more a symptom inducer.
    I don't know why Valcyte only helps some of us even when we have high titres against HHV6, HHV-7 and EBV.

Please science move forward! We need more funding, more research and more trials with different drugs.
  14. ladybugmandy

ladybugmandy Member

antivirals only help some people (with viral-related CFS) because most do not take them long enough. very few doctors give them long enough or at high enough doses

i have scoured the internet and found a quite a few posts from people who have improved after several years of antiviral treatment.

some of us cannot control the infections for some genetic reason, i assume....