new depression ads on tv

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by bapakay, Dec 16, 2005.

1. bapakay

bapakay New Member

What do you all think of the ads on television that have started regarding the pain one experiences with depression? Do you think is is helping or hindering all of us who have fibromyalgia??

I do agree with the ads.but i am afraid that it is going to start all over again, we are all just depressed. I feel my depression is a result of my decline in health and years of trying to get a diagnossis,unrelenting pain, and being told "you are just fine". would love to hear others opinion!!!
  2. libra55

libra55 New Member

I think the ads themselves are depressing. If I am thinking of the ones you're talking about, they are new and just come on the TV. I find them very bleak.

I have suffered from dysthsmia (Low grade depression) all of my life. I have great sympathy for those that are depressed, but these new ads are the pits.. I want to cry when I see them. IMHO.

I've always liked the little Zoloft guy.

Michelle
    [This Message was Edited on 12/16/2005]
  3. fibrohugslife

fibrohugslife New Member

I have been seeing those as well and went to their website to check it out. I know that my fibro is waaaay past depression pain. I have been on anti-depressants and all they do is help my mood and not my pain. So I know that my fibro is way past the depression, and the depression is not causing the pain.

Nicole
  4. fibrohugslife

fibrohugslife New Member

Michelle I liked to Zoloft guy too and felt sad for him and totally I identified with him, and I think I cried a few times in seeing that commercial but I loved that commercial though.I think that commercial was most effective in describing depression.

Nicole
  5. jakeg

jakeg New Member

I think it is an injustice to the people that have this xxx diagnosis to put it lightly and these manufactures should be told about it. Alot of doctors also need to be told about it and I am sure you know, (oh it's all in your head!!!)yeah right. I would never really wish this on anyone but when I see things like this and know how most doctors look at it may be a month or 12 would convince them that chronic pain IS NOT ALWAYS RELATED TO DEPRESION, and that it usually is the other way around.

Sorry if I sound angry but I am and it's not becuase of everything that I no longer can do, but how people in general look at you and say what's wrong, you look just fine. You did this yesterday why can't you do it today?

Just because I can do something today does't mean I can do it tomorrow.

I've learned to live with this by not expecting of myself of what I used to and now do WHAT I CAN WHEN I CAN. I used to be able to multitask with the best of them and now I can't even compete with the worst of them.

It's so frustrating not to be able to do this any more, I have so many things started I don't know where to start anymore.

Sorry this post is so long but I needed to express this even if only the people here read this it's OK

Jake

6. nanna4550

nanna4550 New Member

I think that depression and FM are 2 different problems. People with depression usually have a chemical imbalance. People with FM in constant pain. If taking an antidepressant helps us to deal with a chronic illness, that's good, if it reduces the amount of pain we feel I'm all for it. I'm on Cymbalta, it helps with the pain and the mood (I have tried effexor and lexapro and neither of them helped with the pain at all). I have felt depression at times in my life (i.e. in an abusive marriage) but I have not considered myself clinically depressed. Nonetheless, I take an antidepressant and it is helping me. There is nothing I can do about people thinking that the depression caused the FM and I'm not going to not take care of myself because of a stupid stigma. If this attitude adds to the stigma, I'm sorry.
  7. lin-z

lin-z New Member

take a pill and there goes your pain.......NOT i hate the ads that say..."did you know depression causes pain?" well with fm it is definitely vice versa.. all of a sudden it is "cool" to be depressed and need pharmaceuticals but dont link us fm sufferers with that way of thinking def annoys the heck out of me