New Depression Treatment Using an Implanted Device

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Jgavi, Apr 4, 2006.

1. Jgavi

Jgavi New Member

For people like me who cant take meds for depression----dig deep for another way for a way out of the dark hell we live in..jgavi

New Depression Treatment Using an Implanted Device:

The U.S. FDA has approved a device called the Vagus Nerve Stimulator for patients where other treatment has failed (roughly 20% of major depression sufferers fail to respond to anti-depressants, psychotherapy and electroconvulsive therapy). The device is implanted in the chest and delivers a small charge along a thin wire that wraps around the vagus nerve in the neck for 30 seconds at a time. However, there is still some debate as to the true effectiveness of the device which costs up to $20,000 to implant.

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/236089_hcenter11.html
  2. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

i am not ready to get wired up yet....maybe if they do some open heart surgery...

but i feel like i am in that 20% right now...and i so under stand the darkness and all...

i am coming down from another antidepressant and i am quickly falling in again...i just need to get out my shake list and try that...

i know i have watched on the depression side about a few people checking it out....i think maybe one person did get it put in...and was pleased with it...

hey i am not saying this is overboard but i do feel for those of us who are not getting the results with trying everything possible then let's do it...

sorta of like a comparison of losing weight and get liposuction or gastric bypass...if it helps i say go for it if it is affordable to one...

jodie