New Doc Was Mean to Me

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by TeaBisqit, Aug 23, 2006.

1. TeaBisqit

TeaBisqit Member

I went to a new doc today. I really went because my lower back and hip arthritis are getting worse and some of the other more treatable symptoms. I have a yeast skin infection as well. So, I go, and the intern was very nice to me, but he isn't allowed to make any decisions, so after he took all my info and did the exam, he had to refer me to the real doc at the practice. The real doc was mean to me. First, he was like, how do you know you have CFIDS? And I was just like, basically too out of it and kind of surprised to say, "cause like twenty to thirty docs over the last fifteen years all agree that I have CFIDS. Duh." So I just basically said, cause that's how I was diagnosed. How did I get it? "From someone I was dating." "CFIDS is not a contagious disease, it is a disease of exclusion." "No, what I have definitely came from an infectious agent." So basically, he turned the whole visit into an argument of if I really have CFIDS and what CFIDS is. He doesn't know anything about the disease, or much else from what I gathered. I told him I have severe acid reflux and I cannot take NSAIDS anymore. So he still prescribed some coated Naproxen, which I'm leary of with my stomach problems, but I took it anyway. Like if I bleed out and die, my family can sue him. Needless to say, I wasn't thrilled with the visit, and because he made me so uncomfortable, I was not able to ask for the blood tests I wanted run or the back xray I would like to have to see what's up with the arthritis. I am getting some blood work, but it's not really all I wanted.

I am just so sick of these doctors treating us like crap because of the name of the illness. If I'd come in there with any other name, I believe he would not have been half as hostile to me. He was acting like I'm just a whiner. And these docs never get that I would rather be dead than be in their office. I hadn't gone to a doc in like two years because I'd had it with this treatment. And finally, I just went only because I cannot manage the pain on my own any longer and some of the other symptoms do need attention.

He did see the skin yeast infection. Obviously, I am not making up the symptoms. But he was still acting like I was just a professional whiner or something. I am mad and upset. I think there should be a law that doctors have to treat all patients with respect and kindness no matter what ailment they come in with.

He told me to get an over the counter cream for my skin, but I can't afford it. Not a dime at the moment. I do better with yogurt and cutting my sugar down anyway. It's not like creaming it is going to stop me from getting it back since I seem to get them at the drop of a hat lately. My immune system is kind of down and there was no point in even trying to talk to this doc about that.

I'm upset that I finally took the time to go to the doctor after a long while to get some help and I feel like I didn't get the help I needed. Of course they cannot cure this disease, but they can help with some of the symptoms if they want to. But most of these docs don't seem to want to help at all.
  2. jake123

jake123 New Member

Have you tried the powder Lotrimil (for athletes foot)? It works pretty good. Also, Caldesene powder (for the baby's bottom) works pretty well. I always run some deodorant under each boob so it is not always damp there.
    I loathe going to my PCP. He is a pompous you know what and I loathe him more each time I go. Fortunately, I have a fabulous neurologist for my migraines and a rheumatologist.
  3. jeduanboneis

jeduanboneis New Member

Yep, sounds like some things never change.

This guy is not someone I would go back to. Well maybe just to get the results. But I wouldn't want to pay anyone that treats our condition that way. I think there are more Drs. that are not informed and they don't know what to do with us. It is a shame that perhaps we know more about us than they do.

I went to a Rheumy that said there are two schools of thought and he was from the school that says that CFS does not exist. OK, but I still feel this way.

My last resort is to go to the FFC, but I am leary as I think that is the last resort and if nothing good happens I will be really depressed again.

But I am trying to be positive and think that every little bit helps. A better diet would most likely help somewhat.

Sorry you had to go through this again.

I am learning to go with my intuition and what works for me. So if it is no sugar and yogurt, then go for it.

I can't take Naproxen of any sort, so don't make yourself sick either. It would have been better if he had not given you anything than to have given you something that will still make you sick. Maybe the coating will help, but I would be careful.

Jeanne
  4. findmind

findmind New Member

In my experience, the drs that do this to you DO NOT want you as their patient: that's why they do it!

After you get test results, find another dr, ok?

For acid reflux in people with CFS? Dr. David Bell has said we actually have too LITTLE acid, which causes slow gastric emptying because the lower sphincter into the small intestine will not open unless there is enough acid. this causes the food to back up into the esophagus.

This is a very dangerous thing: it can cause erosive esophagitis, Barretts esophagus, and lead to cancer.

He said pineapple extracts (betaine?) is the solution.

Maybe someone else knows more about this?

There's always hope!
    findmind
  5. Thistledown

Thistledown New Member

buy some Tea Tree oil and mix it 1 part Tea Tree oil to 2 or 3 parts mineral oil or vegetable oil. Generously swab this on the yeast. Tea Tree is an herbal antifungal/antimicrobial.

Once the infection clears up, you can use a Witch Hazel cleanser with Tea Tree in it or make a dilute solution of Tea Tree oil (1 part Tea Tree oil to 10 or 20 parts mineral oil) and rub it into your skin after you bathe.

Hope this helps...
  6. srollins

srollins New Member

i went to rhuemy several yrs ago(felt i needed another opinion) boy, was that a mistake! this guy spent 25 minutes with me and never even checked my bp. he spent the entire time telling me that my problem was between me and god and that i needed to give my heart over to jesus.

all he did was talk, he never touched me.

there are some real dooozzzzzzzzzzies out there, huh!

shirl
  7. findmind

findmind New Member

Boy, this makes me want a voice activated recorder to take with me to the drs! I cannot believe the story of the dr. trying to convert someone to christianity.

What if the person was Muslim, or Jewish, Hindu, etc? How arrogant that dr. is!

I also believe it is criminal in some way; your doctor badgering you in a religious way.

I would report this dr to someone!! the state AMA or something.

findmind
  8. TeaBisqit

TeaBisqit Member

I canceled all the tests he ordered for me. I'm not going back there and all the tests were the wrong tests. I went in there for certain things. I wanted a lower back and hip xray for my arthritis, and instead he ordered a mammogram. And I wanted certain blood work run and he ordered like everything but. And then he forgot to give me my asthma inhaler prescription when I did ask for it and the intern that came in before him even wrote it down. He's completely incompetent. So I'm not going back there. But I'm very upset that I will have to pay a copay on this visit. And all they symptoms I went in to get help for are not being treated and I'm still in pain. The coated Naproxen made me worse. I only took one and really believed I would die from it that night. I can't take NSAIDS at all.

The yeast infection is better. I tend to get them if I overdo sweet things. Like I can't sit and eat alot of cookies or something. In a way, that's a good thing. I doubt I'll end up with blood sugar problems because I have to watch it.

For the other symptoms, I'm going to go back on herbs. My mother swears by Beswalia for the arthritis. I might as well try it. And there's Vitex for the irregular periods. Anything is better to me than doctor hopping and seeing incompetent jerks.

I wonder if I'd gone in there with cancer, lupus or AIDS, would he still have asked me, "How do you know you have it?" Total jerk.
  9. risinforce

risinforce New Member

I've been to a jerk doc before. I think I went 4 or 5 times and finally never returned. Wrote a nasty letter to him and the head of the practice. This guy was supposed to be a pain management doc too. total jerk did not believe I had FM or that it existed. Should not be in the business of pain in my opinion.

I suggest you never return and save yourself the misery and pain. Find someone who is compationate. it may take awhile but it's worth it.

Hugs and don't you dare question your illness

Shawn