New Doctor Consultation next week

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by momof471, Apr 5, 2007.

1. momof471

momof471 New Member

I've psted here about the 'brain zaps' I get. They have had me a little nervous. My psychologist wanted me to see a neurologist, my rheumatologist that treats my fibro has been ill and its been hard to reach him, so I went to my primary for a referal, he also thinks I need to go. Had conversation wiht Rheumy today on phone and he thinks I'm wasting my time, he said its more than likely fibro. I don't know if he just does not want me to go because he doesn't want another doctor dealing with my fibro? This neurologist is knowledgeable about fibro and that is what I wanted because I am hoping this is fibro and he should be able to tell. I also get tingling and numbness when lying on back or side and that is also when I have these 'zaps'. After talking to my Rheumy, I've lost my confidence about going and am scared to go. I went through a nightmare with worker's comp doctor's the past few years and now am distrustful of doctor's except for my primary and my Rheumy. Am I doing the right thing by going or am I blowing this out of proportion? He also tried to link this to my anxiety issues. Funny thing is these"zaps' happen when I am going to sleep or wake me from sleep, I'm not stressing right then! Any advice appreciated!
  2. momof471

momof471 New Member

words of wisdom anyone?
    Bump
  3. obrnlc

obrnlc New Member

hi mom of 471
    my 2 cents--get it checked out by a neuro, since we tend to blame everything on "a fibro thing" there is a possibility of other stuff too.
    fibro mimics so many other illnesses, and the fact that your problem is so consistently positional makes one think of a pressure of a nerve or something (foggy moment) that occurs in a certain position.
    maybe it is crazy to keep searching, but you would hate to find out later that there is a bigger problem that could have been fixed with a simple dr. check and mri.

when you see a new doc or neuro, try to not mention fibro/cfs and maybe you will get a little more respect and thorough exam.

good luck--L
  4. momof471

momof471 New Member

He will know about the fibro as he has all of my records, however this neuro knows about fm/cfs, so I don't expect any negative response due to this. It threw me when my rheumy tried to link this up with the anxiety. I love my rheumy, but he does not like other doctor's to 'treat' his patients. I've gotten where I don't bring things up because I know it will be FMS, but I have always felt I have something going on in my neck or upper back, like you said maybe a pinched nerve or something and it is positional. I hate it when I feel I have to second guess or justify my actions, it drives me nuts! Thank you for responding.

God Bless