New Doctor (Rant/Vent)

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by TeaBisqit, Sep 25, 2002.

1. TeaBisqit

TeaBisqit Member

My doctor moved out of state, so the clinic gave me someone new. The new doctor said: Exercise and take a happy pill. She listed tons of anti-depressants that she thought would be "good" for me. Oh, yeah, like that's my problem, I'm fat and depressed. Great. I am just so sick of this same litany from doctors. I can't believe their opinions of this illness still haven't changed in all these years. It's just so frustrating. I'm moving in about six months, so I'll seek a new doctor then. But for now, I'm stuck with this. It totally sux.

TeaBisqit
  2. TeaBisqit

TeaBisqit Member

My doctor moved out of state, so the clinic gave me someone new. The new doctor said: Exercise and take a happy pill. She listed tons of anti-depressants that she thought would be "good" for me. Oh, yeah, like that's my problem, I'm fat and depressed. Great. I am just so sick of this same litany from doctors. I can't believe their opinions of this illness still haven't changed in all these years. It's just so frustrating. I'm moving in about six months, so I'll seek a new doctor then. But for now, I'm stuck with this. It totally sux.

TeaBisqit
  3. LisaMay

LisaMay New Member

to hear about your newly appointed doctor. I went to see a second rheumy and didn't like him any better than the first. I travelled over 60 miles with high hopes, only to be shot down by Woody Allen (that's is who he reminded me of). I am going back to the first doctor next month with the demand that my Q's are answered and I feel satisfied with the visit. Unfortunately, there aren't that many doctors in my reasonable travelling distance to help me. I did go back to my PCP and vented to her - at least she cares and offers me positive feedback.

I hope when you move, you find a great doctor who is fully understanding and very helpful. Keep wishing! Lisa
  4. klutzo

klutzo New Member

Unfortunately, conventional doctors are trained to do two things: 1) cut you open and take something out, and 2)write prescriptions. That is really all they have to offer, so if that's not what you want, why go to them? Us "oldtimers" can tell you that most of what can be done for FMS you will have to do for yourself anyway, so why invest so much power in the doctor, only to be shot down again and again? Try to be like a duck and let it roll off your back. You know your illness is real and that's what matters. There's a lot you can do for yourself and plenty of research in the library here to help you start doing it, so please don't let the b**tards with "M.D." after their names get you down!
    Hugs,
    Klutzo