NEW DOCTOR

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by CATS2, Apr 25, 2006.

1. CATS2

CATS2 New Member

HELLO,
    ALTHOUGH I WAS DIAGNOSED WITH FIBRO SIXTEEN YEARS AGO,I HAVE NEVER POSTED A MESSAGE (A BIT SHY). I RECENTLY HAD TO CHANGE MY MEDICAL PLAN AND NOW I HAVE A NEW DOCTOR. HE IS INSISTING THAT I HAVE TO SEE A RHUMATOLIGST AND A PSYCHIATRIST. THIS IS ALL DUE TO HIS HAVING NO EXPERIENCE WITH FIBRO, AND HE REFUSED TO PRESCRIBE TRANXENE. I HAVE TAKEN THIS MEDICATION FOR YEARS, ONE TABLET DAILY, 7.5 MG. AND NEVER ABUSED IT. FINDING MEDS THAT DON'T HAVE SIDE EFFECTS IS ESPECIALLY A CONCERN. THIS NEW DOCTOR INSISTS THAT I NEED AN ANTIDEPRESSANT AND IS ACTUALLY VERY DISRESPECTFUL AND BULLYING. THESE DOCTORS HE WANTS ME TO SEE ARE 60 MILES AWAY. HAVE ANY OF YOU HAD ANY EXPERIENCE WITH DIFFICULT DOCTORS? I APPRECIATE YOUR INPUT.
    TWOCATS
  2. mme_curie68

mme_curie68 New Member

Unfortunately, bad docs are everywhere.

He's not wrong in referring you to a rheumatologist (who can properly diagnose you according to American College of Rheumatology criteria for FM) and rule out other musculoskeletal and autoimmune diseases and a psychiatrist, who is typically expert in medications used in the Central Nervous System for anxiety disorder/depression.

BUT, he didn't need to be an @ss about it! For that reason alone I would leave him and go see another doc.

Bully should have left that garbage on the playground 30 years ago. No reason you should have to put up with it at all. You need to find docs you can work with not fight with. So fire his butt.

Just curious - is he older or younger? I have found that, in general, the docs in their 30's and early 40's seem to be much more responsive of working with you as a patient to find the best treatments, etc. for you.

Hugs,
    Madame Curie

[This Message was Edited on 04/26/2006]
  3. Adl123

Adl123 New Member

Dear Cats2,
    Unfortunately, I have had experience with "difficult" doctors. I'm so sorry you are experiencing this now. But have hope. It will only make you stronger. Just don't let yourself be at his mercy. It might help, if you remember that he is in your employ, and, as an employee, must live up to your standards.

This doctor shows that he has no insight into your illnesses, by the very fact that he insists that you drive 60 miles to go see other doctors. Has he offered to take you, or to provide transportation? Has he arranged for help at home to cover the things you will not be able to do, maybe for as long as 2 weeks? Oh, yes, and how about the pain? Is he willing to experience the pain you will have after such a trip?

I hate to say this, but you seem to have a loser. I would start again. There are some knoledgable and compassionate doctors out there. He has no right to "isist" that you do anything.

Many of us have gone through this. One must look, and look
    until one finds a doctor that is not ignorant. It's not easy, but it's worth the fight.

God bless you and give you strength.
    Peace and hugs,
    Terry,
  4. CATS2

CATS2 New Member

THANK YOU FOR REPLYING. THIS DOCTOR IS OLDER. I SAW A RHEUMATOLOGIST YEARS AGO AND GOT MY FIBRO DIAGNOSIS, I DIDN'T KNOW THAT WE MIGHT NEED ANOTHER VISIT. SINCE I HAVE BEEN STABLIZED ON MY MEDICATIONS FOR YEARS I DREAD HAVING IT CHANGED AROUND. I THOUGHT "IF IT ISN'T BROKEN DON'T FIX IT".