New Doctorwhat do you think?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Ruby1523, Jun 5, 2008.

1. Ruby1523

Ruby1523 New Member

I have not been able to find an FMS doctor until just recently. I had my first appt. with him yesterday and was impressed. He also has fibro. He took a look at what I am taking now (Mirapex for RLS) and clonazepam (for sleeping). First he said the clonazepam would make me sleepy but that it also interrupts sleep patterns and that we would eventually wean off of it.

Then he prescribed Celebrex with Ultram ER to start in three days. I go back in 1 week to see how I am tolerating these drugs. He also put me on a no caffeine, wheat or pasta restriction. Walking exercise to start out at 5 minutes a day (upped heartbeat) to eventually level out at 20 minutes per day.

He spent an hour with me and explained everything then wrote it down (he understands fibro-fog!) Any medication I am not tolerating or just don't want to take, he will work around. Suggested talking about another med (can't remember what) and Lyrica at the next appt.

Since this is all new to me, I would appreciate it if those with some experience could tell me if this sounds in line. I know that everyone is different and meds that work for some, don't for others. Guess I'm just asking for validation; does this sound like a good thing or not?
  2. woofmom

woofmom New Member

I hope you read the black box warning concerning Celebrex.
  3. marti_zavala

marti_zavala Member

Not too keen on the exercise thing - start at minute and work up to 5 perhaps.

Great on the diet.

Not too keen on the Lyrica - this was not developed for us and it (even though they are marketing it as such) was developed for diabetic neuropathy and it didn't work for that population so they are trying to recoup their money by switching populations. Can cause weight gain, edema, worsen cataracts, but it does seem to stop nerve pain.

Read the real labels on Lyrica and Celebrex and use your better judgement.

I think he should check your thyroid, Vit D, homocysteine.

I take tramadol which is generic Ultram so I would think that is okay for pain. I take very little per day as there are some issues with that too.

Basically, our bodies don't handle most pharmaceuticals and it take much less to work without side effects.

He probably has many more tricks up his sleeve so it would be good to be open to his ideas.

The best parts are that he is willing to work with you and that he writes everything down. That he listens makes him worth his weight in gold.

4. annade

annade New Member

I have been seeing a new rheumy for about six months and I really like him. He is the one who dx'd me with FM. He also listens and accepts my reluctance to take some of the meds he has suggested (Lyrica, neurontin). He has suggested gentle yoga/meditation to reduce the levels of Substance P that contribute to our feelings of pain. The yoga is helping me a little bit and that's about all the exercise I can do right now but it feels good to ove and stretch my body.

As far as meds go he did also prescribe Ultram ER and I tried it for a few days but it made me too sleepy and didn't really help the pain much more than maybe a 5-10% improvement. He recently prescribed Provigil for energy and I also tried that but it made me feel like I was on speed and very spacey so I stopped that after the first day. I do not tolerate meds very well but I listen to him and am willing to try things I think are reasonable.

It sounds to me like you have a good doctor. Listen to your body. You'll know pretty quickly whether a med is working for you or not. Good luck and keep us posted.

5. gapsych

gapsych New Member

Wow,I was so impressed I looked up where you live. I am in Illinois. Probably would not take my insurance, even if I could drive that far.

Did he keep you on the mirapix? I also have RLS but is taken care of with sleep meds. but did go on it when I became very anemic for a short while.

Has it helped with the FM pain.

Thanks for posting this. Very interesting that your doctor has this.

Keep us posted.
  6. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

Good for you! Having a doctor who understands and is part of your team is critical to your well being.
    I totally understand your doctor recommending exercise. I wouldn't expect any less. Every doctor should. Don't get me wrong, I don't exercise. Except for my normal routine, I don't do any extra, but I know that exercise does a lot for not only your body but your mind as well. Even 5 minutes.
    Now if I could just do it myself!
    Isn't Celebrex an anti-inflammatory? I'm allergic, but remember a doc prescribing for me years ago for my knees (before I was diagnosed)

I see my regular PCP and then a rheumy who sees many FM patients every 4-6 months. He said that the people who do some sort of exercise, work a flexible part time schedule, and are in a healthy relationship do best with FM. Now of course "they" are doing best, because they CAN do all of that or have that. Some people aren't so fortunate.
    I hope that you develop a long and wonderful relationship with this new doctor.
    It sounds like he is willing to try different things until you both find something that works for you. That's what's important.
    Good Luck to you!