New dr again( yay blah ) but can only see his phys. assistant

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by lin-z, Jan 30, 2006.

1. lin-z

lin-z New Member

I had yet another referall for a rheumy who is a fair distance from my home but not undoable. I can only see his p.a. unless I want to wait til after March. What is anyones experience with seeing a p.a. instead of the rheumy.?

I am actually ok with it because she is female and sounds like she may be knowledgeable( I am not prejudice but I really think I am more comf. with a female.

Can P.A.s prescribe things or is this just an appt that I am going to have to repeat to the real rheumy when I get to see him? Have no idea what the capabilities of a P.A. are.

Any help or experience with this???

thanks Lindsey

2. kjfms

kjfms Member

...I like and respect the PA I am seeing, she is very caring and knowledgeable. I have seen a few PA's and have always found them to be very competent. The amount of prescribing depends on the state you are located in. In my state PA's are not authorized to prescribe narcotics. You can find the information for you state on its medical licensing board site or call the physician's office for more information.

I hope you have a good experience with the PA you will be seeing, keep in mind that they do discuss you case with their supervising physician-and that is a good thing.

Good luck,

Karen
  3. lolee

lolee New Member

Other then the Doc I'm seeing now who is HEAVEN SENT, I have always preferred the P.A.'s.

They are not so rushed, not such know-it-alls. I've always had good experiences with them, more of a dialogue as opposed to someone who thinks he's the end all be all telling me what he thinks is wrong without even talking to me.

Most Doc's though that have P.A's follow what they say, they count on them, so that a mark in the Doc's favor.

Also, I'm more comfortable with a female too, but like I said this new doc at the pain center is just awesome I wouldn't care if he was half man half woman with an elbow coming out of his forehead! LOL

anyway, try her and see, at least you'll get to see someone and if it doesn't work out you'll know right away and can make an appointment for the doc, right?

GOOD LUCK!!

Lolee
  4. ellikers

ellikers New Member

I have never seen a PA, but the person I'm currently seeing that is helping me a lot is a nurse practitioner, kinda similar to a PA, and she's helped me TONS more than any doctors over the last year ... so my vote would be to go and check her out.

I'm honestly beginning to believe that how much a medical person is helpful has very little to do with their education or credentials and EVERYTHING to do with their attitude and what they learn in their practice.
  5. lin-z

lin-z New Member

for the replies . My sister who has battled (AND WON!!!) lung and brain cancer found her p.a.s to be much more compassionate than her big wig experts. Yes its nice to have the expertise but sometimes a kind heart can heal even better.

Now I am looking forward to my trip to see her on the 7th and I will let you know how it went. No offense to the men on this board but I really am more comfortable with a woman phys and even male physicians have told me they prefer female doctors as well!!! Ha..go figure!!!

6. ellikers

ellikers New Member

How did it go?