New Drug for Fibro actually talked about in local newspaper

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Empower, Mar 16, 2009.

1. Empower

Empower New Member

New Drug Offers Fibromyalgia Patients Hope
    Click to enlarge

Millions of Americans suffer from fibromyalgia, an illness that often leaves patients unable to function because of intense pain.

Despite the severity of this condition, there are limited treatments available. Suffers are often misdiagnosed because there is no obvious cause for the pain.

But a new drug, Savella, recently approved by the FDA, is offering patients new hope. Doctors say the new drug can help patients take the steps they need to feel better.

"Savella is a medication that impacts on the chemistry of the brain and helps
    with the chemicals that make the pain felt," Dr. Alan Manevitz, a clinical psychiatrist with Weill Cornell Medical Center said.

The drug's maker says Savella should be available with a prescription later this year.
  2. painfreesoon

painfreesoon New Member

It's actually not really "new", it's just newly approved for FM. It goes by the generic name Milnacipran. It's a norepinephrine-serotonin reuptake inhibitor.

I think you can get it now under that name. I'm going to try it, but I have not had success with these types of drugs in the past.

All the side effect's(vertigo,constipation,anxiety,sweating,headaches,etc.) I already have!

But I will try it, maybe this dose will be the right one for me. I hope it is for you.:)

best wishes,
  3. luckyman

luckyman New Member

This medication may very well be the one that may help many people. The only downside is that it tends to raise blood pressure. I have had HBP since I was 20. I am hoping that I will be able to try this med if I can lower my BP. Do I inderstand that theis drug does not try to raise the level of serotonin? I don't seem to tolerate AD meds. We'll see when it is released. Hope it works for others.
  4. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

It will raise the level of serotonin AND norepinepherine. It's basically another Cymbalta.

I wonder why they haven't tried to make anything to influence the levels of dopamine, since research is suggesting that it may also be affected in ME....actually there are drugs out that work on dopamine, but they are not marketed for ME or FM.....I wonder if that will be next.
  5. nixon

nixon New Member

I could definetely see that article being in a big city newspaper, but a town like mine we have about 40,000 people...but are still just a small dot on the map, in the middle of the desert- I'm sure I'd never see this in my newspaper.
    I'm wondering why they've pushed back the release date?????? It was supposed to be available in March/ April, now they are saying later this yr........Makes a person wonder
    I had thought GREAT when I 1st heard about it, but then I realized it's JUST ANOTHER ANTIDEPRESSANT......uugghhhh.....the only thing ADs do for me is cause my TMJD to go ALL out of whack, which in turn leads to Horrible Headaches, which leads to more pain, which leads to ETC.ETC....basically MISERY for me. I'm glad they seem to help some of you people out there!!
  6. my rheum. dr. said there is 2 or 3 drugs for fibro coming out towards the end of the yr.
  7. Empower

Empower New Member

I am totally opposed to taking meds because I have too many side effects, but this one sounds promising and I may have to try it.

I know this is not new news, I am just surprised that my local radio statio covered it

Must have been a slow news day (Sarcasim) :)
  8. TeaBisqit

TeaBisqit Member

I don't like that it has antidepressant effects. Those work the opposite on me and make me think of nothing but ways to kill myself. I'm not doing that. If I want to off myself, it will be by my choice, not a drug's.

Let's see how many people this thing really helps.

I want them to come out with an immune booster, not more Cymbalta clones.
  9. vivian53

vivian53 Member

Hi TeaBisquit and everyone else. I am taking the same wait and see stance. I want to take Cymbalta or like meds but can't due to side effects. Until I got this DD I never even had med side effects. So Sad and too bad for me. I am hoping for a brand new med that will help me feel like a brand new person (que in the song "I want A New Drug" by Huey Lewis).....but I am not holding my breath.

10. nixon

nixon New Member

Your right something to help our immunity would be a GREAT way to go!! The ADs also make me feel as if Life Isn't Worth Living......I don't need a pill to make those feelings come on STRONGER......

Vivian: I too NEVER had bad side effects/ except from a B/C drug -(which was an injection) I'm breaking out in rashes from pills, ETC!, ETC! Even tylenol & other OTC meds seem to bother's CRAZY!

I'm not gonna hold my breath either......we end up dead LOL!!
  11. Empower

Empower New Member

If it is like Cymbalta, I mind as well forget it - that drug made me feel really really anxious.

I never had side effects b4 this DD either - now I react to EVERYTHING!

I wonder why that is.....
  12. justmestephd

justmestephd New Member

Health reporter on ABC news today told of this new drug for Fibro. The lady can now go roller skating and play with her kids. I guess anything that gets the news out but they did say that Fibromyalgia caused deliberating pain.