New Drug for those who want to Quit Smoking

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by gidgetsmom, Oct 15, 2006.

1. gidgetsmom

gidgetsmom New Member

Our family doc has always been concerned about mine and hubby's smoking.

Anyway, when I went in for a checkup last Friday, he wrote me a script for Chantix. New stop smoking med that FDA just released.

After I got home, started doing a little research on it and found that it's chemically related to the Mirapex. Could it be possible to quit smoking and have some pain relief at the same time??? LOL Would almost be too good to be true!!!

I'm going to fill the script this week and start on it next weekend. Will keep ya'll informed how it goes!!

Shelley
  2. Jeanne-in-Canada

Jeanne-in-Canada New Member

if the new drug is related to Mirapex then it probably boosts dopamine like Mirapex does. Which would also make it like Wellbutrin.

Jeanne
  3. tandy

tandy New Member

Good Luck!!
    and yes,..please,please keep us posted on your progress, OK? I'm extremely interested in knowing.

I'd like to quit but KNOW I need help.
    be it a patch or med.
    Not enough will power I guess :)

update a few days into your 'quit'
    Thanks for lettin us know

Hugs
    Tandy
  4. 1975jet

1975jet New Member

Yes, Shelley please let us know- I really need to BUT the will power is NOT great going cold turkey...
    Janet
  5. gidgetsmom

gidgetsmom New Member

Sorry couldn't get back sooner, minor computer glitch!!

Donnaeil: thanks, I did look it up on the arthritis board like you suggested. It was VERY helpful!!

Jeanne: from all I gathered it is a partial agonist with the dopamine. I hope it's NOT like Wellbutrin. Tried that once and made me so hyper couldn't keep taking it!!

Tandy: this will be a last ditch effort for me, 'cause I have no willpower either. I'm really more interested in it's pain reduction properties....but I can quit smoking as a side effect!! LOL

Janet: no way I could do it cold turkey either!!!

Thank you all so much for your replies!!! I am going to fill the script and start on it Saturday (because of the nausea thing being the major side effect). Can't have that at work!!
    I'll keep ya'll updated!!!!

Shelley

6. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

There's also one more option to help you quit smoking. Nicocure patches worked amazingly well for me when I quit back in late April.

Unfortunately, I fell off my wagon on an extremely difficult day recently. Hubby was supposed to be home from a business trip on a Friday night and didn't come home until late Saturday morning.

I lit up, took one drag and he walked in the door. Oh if I had only waited!!!

So now I'm back on Wellbutrin (worked well for me before) and the Nicocure all Natural patches.

These cause no withdrawal side effects whatsoever. No witchiness, no ranting, no anxiety, nothing. It also has the least weight gain than any other OTC stop smoking system.

Hugs and good luck,

Nancy B