New Drug to try......

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by uatraveler, Feb 1, 2006.

1. uatraveler

uatraveler New Member

I have been fighting this Fibro for over 10 years. In the last 2 1/2 years the pain has become unbearable. Our daughter (34) was in a bad car accident 9-9-03 which left her paralyzeed from her chest down (Quad) and we are full time caregiver for her and her 11 and 4 yr. old. Her two teenagers are with their other Grandparents. It is so true how stress is an absolute demon for this disease. How many different medications come along, we try, they work for a short time, then relapse. Dr. trys to put me on Morphine Patches, Oxycotin, Vicodin.. He tries so hard to give me a few pain free days, but I really don't need to take those drugs and try to raise grandkids, and see my Miracle daughter laugh - if I am medicated all the time! If the hubby is home to help, I will knock myself out with those drugs for a couple of days to get out of the pain and rejuventate myself.. I am in one of those cycles now, but to lift my spirits, my sister called from Texas last night to tell me of a new drug Mirapex (mainly used for Parkinson's) but great results for Fibro all symptoms even decreased pain, concentration, sleep, fatigue, depression, etc. I am so excited...My Dr is calling it in as I type. I was lucky to find this drug as the hubby works out of town and this caregiving job is full time - twice as hard if you have Fibro. I try not to let the pain show, but, my daughter knew about it before the wreck, she took care of me! So she obviously sees some days, I can't even lift my arms, and she hears me upstairs all night walking around the house. Anyhow, I will follow-up with you after I have tried it for a few weeks. There is an article about it on the newsletters we receive by e-mail, Take care and know that you are not alone, Deborah
    [This Message was Edited on 02/01/2006]
  2. WoodstocksMusic

WoodstocksMusic New Member

I hope you have success on this new for FM med. I will be watching for an update in a few weeks.
  3. debfee11

debfee11 New Member

I am so sorry to see your hardship. Just when I'm feeling bad about myself. I see that someone else, YOU, are dealing with such an over abundance of PAIN. God bless you for all that you are doing. I hope and pray that your life improves inevery way possible. Love Debness XXX
  4. Dee50

Dee50 New Member

Please before you start this drug run a web search on it. It is linked to compulsive gambling ect.. with lawyers helping folks ect...sounds like bad news to me, you don't need more problems :)
    Dee 50
    [This Message was Edited on 02/01/2006]
  5. sarahann61

sarahann61 New Member

The new med sounds like a miracle drug. I really hope, and pray it is. Does it have any potential side affects, most meds do.. I can't take a lot of meds, but would love to get that kind of relief. I have RA, OA, Fms, Asthma, osteoporosis, I don't see how I could do ,what you do.

You are a very special person, to take it all on, and your daughter is very blessed, to have such a loving, caring Mother.. May God Bless You In A Very Special Way, and your family......
  6. ksc

ksc New Member

please make sure you are taking it correctly!You only take it at night-it makes you sleepy. and you slowly build up your dose. Dr. David Dryland in Medford, Oregon is my rhumy and he has been studying it for a number of years. Your doc can call him or email him and get the right proceedure for it. It has worked wonders for me. like you i've been fighting it for over 10 yrs. i also have had lupus for over 20. if taken with care and correctly mirapex can help you.
    kathy
  7. vp

vp New Member

I've tried it, but am unable to take it. I was hoping it would reduce my tremors, but the constipation was so bad, I couldn't go for days. It is one of the possible side effects of it. I can't take percocet or other similar pain meds for the same reason. Just something to watch out for, hope you have good luck with it.

Valerie
  8. Rainshadow

Rainshadow New Member

I tried it for a month and didn't notice any decrease in pain at all. I was really disappointed because I had high hopes for it, too. Maybe someday I'll find the silver bullet.