New Englander's, are you worse in the summer?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by WendyC, Jul 11, 2006.

1. WendyC

WendyC New Member

I have noticed that I have the roughest time in the summer. I had been doing pretty well lately and was looking forward to painting in my studio, but have been in a major flare for 11 days and counting. I stopped taking the immuplex which I started to take regularly 11 days ago, but no improvement. What the heck? Is it the humidity? I live in Connecticut and when I was in New Hampshire (low humidity) two weeks ago I was much better. Any suggestions?

wendyc
  2. Jessa34

Jessa34 New Member

I live in CT also and I think it's the humidity. Hot weather isn't great for me but there is a very noticable difference in how I feel when the air gets drier.

I've just been trying to stay in the air conditioning - sorry I don't have a better suggestion.
  3. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

I think the humidty and air pressure can cause problems and this is worse in summer. I live in Upstate NY and all these storms recently play havoc with the air pressure, though the ozone after is great!!!
    love
    Anne Cromwell
  4. kimj1215

kimj1215 New Member

My husband as well is suffering from the increase in humidity. We are in central Jersey and it has been terrible here for two weeks. He is in a major flare and the poor guy can hardly get out of bed. He basically stays inside with the air conditioner running 24/7. It seems to help some, but is hard to do when he is the primary care giver for 3 children. I would move in a heartbeat if we could find somewhere that he could be more comfortable, but you know men - they hate change! Take care and I think a break is coming at least for one day on Friday.

kimj
  5. WendyC

WendyC New Member

and it was my worse day yet, in bed all day. I took a shower and had to rest afterward. I think unbalanced pressure systems do affect us. I also had my B12 levels checked, just in case I've tanked again. Hope its the B12, easy to fix with a shot at the docs.

wendyc
  6. cherylsue

cherylsue Member

I live in the Midwest, but my CFS comes out in the summer months. Presently, I'm suffering from a relapse. I'm beginning to think it may be too much sunshine/sunburn which lowers the immunity.

CherylSue
  7. CanBrit

CanBrit Member

I find that whether it's cold and damp or hot and humid, its the damp/humidity that gets me everytime. I can take it really cold, or really hot as long as the weather is dry.

These systems we've been having the last couple of months have been brutal. I live in Eastern Ontario and the humidity has been awful.

I think I've been in a flare since April!

Regards,

Eileen
  8. Aberlaine

Aberlaine Member

I, too, live in upstate New York and have been having flares for a month now. We had a wonderful spring, but a little over a month ago, the pressure started changing rapidly and the humidity started to climb.

I just can't think or concentrate in this kind of weather. I've been dizzy and disoriented for weeks now. I finally started thinking that my depression has returned so I made an appointment with my therapist for Saturday.

I've also been eating more salt, figuring that my low blood pressure had something to do with my brain drain.

Feeling this way scares me. I become anti-social and subject to panic attacks. I'm afraid I'm going to get lost and not be able to find my way home.

And we have several more months of this!!?
  9. barbinindiana

barbinindiana New Member

With CFS most people have a orthostatic intolerance problem, and the heat and humidity makes it worse. You get to feeling breathless easier, lightheaded or dizzy, and are unable to stand as long as you would be able to in cooler weather. Also my sister's fibro is so much worse when it rains, although it doesn't seen to affect mine. Hope this helps.
    Barb
  10. onlythestrong

onlythestrong New Member

But have the same problem,I thought if I made it through the winter I would be fine but now that it's summer I'm 10 times worse.
    It's all so strange,so even though I don't like winter,Bring it on!!!!
    Good luck to you hon,
    Mary
  11. pammy52

pammy52 New Member

Hi Wendy,

Between all the rain and now the humidity I too am struggling big time.
    AC is only a relief if it is not set too low and where I work it has been so cold so I just can't find a comfort zone any where lately.

I too am looking foward to winter at this point. I used to dread the cold but it seems now that despite the cold of winter..the dryer air brings relief from the pain and fatigue.

I live in East Canaan so we are not too far apart.
    Heard about the tornado out your way but hadn't read any particulars. Any big damage to anyone or anything?

Pam
  12. dragon06

dragon06 New Member

Most of the people I know who have this are worse in the summer. My doctor says the same for most of her patients as well. It has something to do with humidity and barometric pressure that affects us.

I am definitly MUCH worse in the humidity. I need a stable temperature with no extremes to feel good, which unfortunately never happens.

Oh btw I am originally from Ottawa, Canada and now in New Jersey, USA and had the same problem in both places.[This Message was Edited on 07/14/2006]
  13. suzetal

suzetal New Member

I went to GA for a few weeks and felt pretty good.It was hot and humid there but not the same as here in RI.

I am home and feel awful .My pain is bad again and my sleep does not exist.

Sue
  14. Tigger57

Tigger57 New Member

I find the humidity is awful. Also, the rapid changes in weather. I hate it.
    Tigger
  15. Jasmine

Jasmine New Member

Hi all!
    I live in the northestern quiet corner of Connecticut and today I'm feeling awful. I woke up with a headache and am sweating with this heatwave. Humidity does make me feel awful and I drink a lot of water and take seasalt for my neurally mediated hypotension.

When I lived in Palo Alto, California for 3 months a few years ago, I felt better there because it's dry. I also have mold allergy so on humid days I don't feel too great because of mold. I did feel better in California but not better enough to move there or anything!

Love, Jasmine
  16. shelby319

shelby319 New Member

This summer I think is one of the worst one's we have had in a long time, and even with the air conditioner running constantly...it doesn't help much!! Then my husband turns the air off at night while we sleep and uses only the ceiling fans which causes more pain for me!! I think all that air blowing around and the temperature from that changes constantly up and down, makes it more uncomfortable for my shoulder and neck. He doesn't want to leave the air on at night since we had that increase of 14 % on the electric bill!!

I've also been in a flair because of it as my Dr. explained it to me. It would be the same as too much moisture is getting into our soft tissues and causing an inflammation of sorts. It would be like people with arthritis where they feel more pain with changing weather conditions!!

On top of that, this weekend its suppose to get really severe hot and very humid!!!! Just what we need!!! Another heatwave!!

I also have no answers to how we can control it, except stay indoors, but I have too much to do and can't just lay around and hope someone else will do it for me!! LOL!!

I hope you can get some relief though, as alot of us are suffering...my lord...what did we do before air conditioners and fans? I sure couldn't manage without them now!!!!
    Shelby
  17. WendyC

WendyC New Member

I live in North Granby and the tornados were in Mass and in the south but boy did I feel rotten, sounds like you did too. Sorry for the late reply, I don't go to the message boards every day, more like a couple of times a week now. Anyway see my post on barometric pressure, I learned a lot. Have you heard about the fibromyalgia study somewhere in ct?

wendyc
  18. pammy52

pammy52 New Member

Just read your post on bar.pressure..
    It is always good to read any confirmation of what our bodies are telling us.

I know I am not enjoying this stretch of heat and humidity we are presently dealing with.

Glad to know you were not affected by the tornado.

I get emails from centerwatch for clinical studies on fms/cfs.
    The last notice I got was for a drug trial in Danbury and New Milford.
    Other than that I am not familiar with any studies in Ct..
    I have no interest in participatin in drug studies at this point in my life.

If you have any info, it would be great if you would pass it along.

I know someone on this thread mentioned we CT folks getting together.
    I think it would be fun to see if we could make that happen.
    If we figured out a mid point meeting place for those interested maybe we could set a date to get together.
    Any takers?

Pammy
  19. IntuneJune

IntuneJune New Member

I find heat unbearable, humidity also. We have insufficient air conditioning at home due to the structure of the house. We are presently using a portable airconditioner that vents to the outside, we used a strip of plywood to block the opening of the sliding glass door.

We have a boat, but the sun bothers me also..... have not used it much this year as the boat needed repairs. The boat yard DROPPED it. I prefer to go out at night when there is no sun and the sunscreen does not drip into my eyes.

If you live in New England, you probably already have read the quotes below but thought I would post anyway:

(1) If your local Dairy Queen is closed from September through May, you live in New England .

(2) If someone in a Home Depot store offers you assistance and they don't work there, you live in New England .

(3) If you've worn shorts and a parka at the same time, you live in New England.

(4) If you've had a lengthy telephone conversation with someone who dialed a wrong number, you live in New England .

(5) If "Vacation" means going anywhere south of New York City for the weekend, you live in New England .

(6) If you measure distance in hours, you live in New England.

(7) If you know several people who have hit a deer more than once, you live in New England.

(8) If you have switched from "heat" to "A/C" in the same day and back again, you live in New England .

(9) If you can drive 75 mph through 2 feet of snow during a raging blizzard without flinching, you live in New England .

(10) If you install security lights on your house and garage, but leave both unlocked, you live in New England .

(11) If you carry jumpers in your car and your wife knows how to use them, you live in New England.

(12) If the speed limit on the highway is 55 mph -- you're going 80 and everybody is passing you, you live in New England .

(13) If driving is better in the winter because the potholes are filled with snow, you live in New England .

(14) If you know all 4 seasons: almost winter, winter, still winter and road construction, you live in New England .

(15) If you have more miles on your snow blower than your car, you live in New England.

(16) If you find 10 degrees "a little chilly", you live in New England.

Love, June
  20. TraderTif

TraderTif New Member

Gee, I've always lived in New England (first RI and now VT), and I usually have the opposite effect. I'm terrible in the winter and much better in the summers. (The doctors all thought I just hated school since I usually got better in the summer.)

Although I do find the humidity hard to deal with. I much prefer lots of DRY sunny days!

Tif =:cool: