New Ferritin Levels

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by TigerLilea, Oct 4, 2011.

1. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

Yesterday I asked my doctor about taking iron supplements as I have read that people with CFS should not have ferritin levels below 50. Mine usually goes anywhere from 27 to 32. My doctor advised me that they have rethought ferritin levels and now consider lower levels to be a deficiency which in the past they didn't. It used to be that anything over 15 was considered "normal" and not a problem to be corrected.

I received my lab results this afternoon with a ferritin level of 48, along with a message that I am Iron Deficient. So now I need to increase my ferritin to around 100. Anything below 100 is considered "possible deficiency".

Wouldn't it be something if all along my problem was iron, not CFS. I'm not getting my hopes up because they have been dashed too many times. But, d*mn it feels good to finally get a test result that shows that something isn't "normal" for a change!!! Even if I could get a 25% improvement in energy I would be so incredibly happy.

I go back in three months for a recheck so I'll let you all know how that turns out and if I notice any improvement at all.
  2. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

Jamin, it is just in the last few months I believe that the labs here have changed their ranges. The ranges used to be <14 anemia, >15 - 200 "normal". Now <15 is anemia, <50 is iron deficiency, <100 is possible deficiency, numbers consistently >100 considered "normal" and >1,000 you should be checked for iron overload.

Doctors are taught to go by lab results. Also in the past they didn't recognize an iron deficiency; they were taught to recognize anemia only on the low end of the scale. Just a few months ago my doctor never would have agreed that my ferritin levels were low. It wasn't until she started noticing that the lab had changed their method of interpreting ferritin results that she became aware of the new views on ferritin levels.[This Message was Edited on 10/04/2011]