NEW FIBROMYALGIA DRUG APPROVED BY FDA!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by CarolK, Jan 24, 2009.

1. CarolK

CarolK New Member

"SAVELLA" is the marketing name and "minalcipran" is the generic for a new FDA approved drug for FM.

An article in the SanDiego Union-Tribune dated January 18th, 2009, sent to me by a relative, discusses the data and trials of the drug which works on both serotonin and norepinephrine.

To read the article I think you could google the San Diego Union-Tribune...article written by Terri Somers, on Jan. 18, 2009.

CarolK
    [This Message was Edited on 01/24/2009]
  2. CarolK

CarolK New Member

SORRY BUT I DID NOT SEE ANY OTHER POSTS ON THIS PARTICULAR DRUG. I DID A WORD SEARCH ON BOTH NAMES AND IT TURNED UP NOTHING.

BUT THANKS ANYWAY FOR THE HEADS-UP.

I HAVE TO AGREE WITH YOU... ANOTHER DRUG IS JUST ANOTHER DRUG. HOWEVER, IF THAT PARTICULAR ONE GIVES ANYONE RELIEF... WELL THEN IT'S WORTH THE READ.

CAROLK

PS... SORRY ABOUT ALL CAPS... I FORGOT TO TURN OFF THE CAP LOCK.
  3. divatifflyn

divatifflyn New Member

Hope its cheaper then Lyrica. :)
  4. ironspine

ironspine New Member

Look up the Fibromyalgia Network site. I get their newsletters. It discusses this drug. It sounds like a new anti-depressant, that works better on certain areas of serotonin. It comes with all the usual side-affects of anti-depressants, but it thought to be a better pain-reliever. It is supposed to be used effectively with Lyrica with success.
    I am already on Lexapro, and deal with my FM with a combination of this, Lryica, Hydrocodone, and Trazodone. If there is a better combination for me I will try it.
    Something new on the market is always worth a try, in my opinion-you never know if it will be your "magic" pill!!!
    Take care, all!
    Donna
  5. dani78xo

dani78xo New Member

I've heard about Savella--my new rheumatologist is one of the doctors that assisted in the trials for it--and might have even tried it, if not for one major concern. The most common side effect reported with Savella? Nausea and/or vomiting.

I'd like to keep food down, thanks. I really wish they'd find something that didn't come with drastic side effects.