New FMS dx.Can I get a hug?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Sheila1366, Aug 31, 2005.

1. Sheila1366

Sheila1366 New Member

Well, back from reheumy.Bloodwork is normal.Said I have fms.Actually she said she told me this 3 years ago when I went to see her.I don't remember.
    I have a list of vitamins,a perscription for lidocan patches and was told to get back in the gym.Bloodwork again in 3 weeks and back to see her in Dec.

My daughter has this.I know all about it but for some reason I didn't think I met the criteria of fms.Today I did have more pain in those pressure points.

I am now onboard with the rest of you all along with my daughter.

And you know the one thing that I don't understand is this.She said the exercising probably brought on the flare(I was doing 60 mins. cardio and weight training 4 to 5 times a week).So, if I go back in the gym and I get sick do I just keep going?Someone help me understand how am I gonna get back in the gym feeling this way and then set myself up for a flare that just bought drove me mad.

Ok, that's all for now.Still letting it all set in right now.Just got home and numb.

Sheila
  2. TheAurynn

TheAurynn New Member

Hi Sheila,
    I am so sorry you were diagnosed with FM and are now suffering as your daughter has. I'm sending you a great big hug with lots of prayers.

About the gym, maybe the doc meant you were doing too much, if you slow down a lot you could still get the benefit of exercise without the flare. I usually do about 20 mins of cardio on a stationary bike followed by some stretching and very light weight lifting. I worked up to doing this over a number of weeks. FM people are very sensitive to overdoing it with exercise, and even though it can be so helpful with our pain when we do it right, you REALLY have to be careful not to overdo.

Hope this helps you some.

Hugs,
    Jessica
  3. lvjesus

lvjesus Member

Sorry you are in our boat. Pick up and oar and we will help you row.

I had to quit aerobics. I had been going twice a week for 3 years and now if I go, my muscles feel like I have been working out for hours the next day. And no, it is not because I am out of shape. It just hit me one day in my normal cycle of going.

One week I was fine, then next, WHAM, I was hobbling around so sore I could barely walk. I try to walk around my office each day (you know, take the long way to the bathroom and back) and I do some leg exercises and squats in the morning as I am getting ready to try and lose some of the weight I have gained and tone up some.

If I don't overdo, that is usually fine.

Sonya R
  4. msthang

msthang New Member

sorry to hear u have fm. and in such great pain. its good that u are able to exercise though. that is great! good luck with everything and heres a huge hug. best wishes and be blessed
  5. tngirl

tngirl New Member

Sorry that you are in the same boat as we are. I agree that the doctor probably thought you overdid the exercising and brought on a flare.

Exercise makes you release more endorphins which are pain fighting. Its hard to find the right amount and kind of exercise.

Most people benefit from stretching and some aerobic exercise if they are able to.

I started out doing 10 minuetes of walking and 10 of stretches at a time. After 5 months, I can usually do 30 to 45 of walking and 15-20 of stretches. I try to do them at least every other day but aim for some exercise daily.

You will have to find the right amount for you.

When I was first diagnosed, I figured a little exercise was good then more would be better. I exercised myself right into a flare and backed off again.

Plus, I have never liked to exercise, so I have to make myself.

Keep on Keepin' on

Lisa