new foster dog in profile ot

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by smiffy79, Jul 10, 2006.

1. smiffy79

smiffy79 New Member

his name is hugo and he is a right sweety :) i've had him a week now and have been working with him on his fears.

he is doing sooo well now. one of his fears was traffic - in a week we can now sit by the side of a road - the road we have been practising on has speed humps so its easier for hugo to deal with as the cars arent so fast and its not as busy as a main road but its not quiet either.

we sat out for about half an hour just watching the vehicles go by - he was sooo good :) no barking no stress and no trying to run and hide - he just sat there calmly by my side :) proud foster mummy :) lol

i've taught him 'cuddle' i shouldnt really but i like to send my fosters out with at least one cute trick as it helps their rehomability. when i throw open my arms and say cuddle he will spring up onto my lap and rest his chin on my shoulder - how cute is that :)

i'm taking him to the river as soon as i get my car back (hubby has taken it this week for truck driving lessons) but he loves the countryside and his forest walks :) i know he will make a family complete - a lovely boy :)

so far i've taught dogs 'dancing dog' up on hind legs and turn in a circle 'dead dog' lie motionless on the side from standing 'vet check' lie still on back with all four paws in the air for inspection any ideas for future foster dogs??

i taught my last one 'left' and 'right' and he got on really well and i couldnt catch him out - i said left and turned right without thinking and he knew he shouldnt go that way and stood his ground :) a clever clever boy :)

love smiffy x
  2. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

Hugo is beautiful and a lucky little chap to have you teach him. I know a cat named Hugo.

Hope he finds a lovely home where he can show off his little trick.

keep up the good work.

love Rosie
  3. pawprints

pawprints New Member

That put a smile on my face this morning. He's a handsome boy who can cuddle...maybe worth trading in a husband for him. Just joking...you are doing great work.
  4. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

And what wonderful work you're doing Smiffy!!

Those are lovely tricks and sure to please someone looking for a family friend.

Hugs,

Nancy B.
  5. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

Thank you for being a foster mom! He is so cute! I would have trouble letting go of them.

One thing I've taught my golden, Rey, is to help with the laundry.

I always drop at least one sock and tell him to "take it". Then I tell him "bring it" and "give it" and I put it in the washer. I have a front loader and my next goal is to get him to put it in the washer. (It helps that I keep Zukes, his favorite treat, on the washer!)

Take it also works great for picking up things from the floor. Pill bottles, keys, socks (even when we're not doing laundry).

Rey loves it, helps make him feel useful.

Hugzz
    Greenbean
  6. smiffy79

smiffy79 New Member

always drop at least one sock and tell him to "take it". Then I tell him "bring it" and "give it" and I put it in the washer. I have a front loader and my next goal is to get him to put it in the washer. (It helps that I keep Zukes, his favorite treat, on the washer!)

green bean thats a great idea thankyou x

thankyou all for your comments, isnt he a sweety :) he has been diving into the kids pool today everytime i turned my back lol i know he will love the river

even my husband has fallen in love with hugo (he doesnt have a lot to do with the dogs except to walk the well trained ones - funny how that goes!!)
  7. SPR30

SPR30 New Member

He is great!
    I love animals!
    Wish I could work with foster animals.
    Maybe when I move I could see if I could help in some way.
    I will have a nice fenced back yard.
  8. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

Me again!

I was showing Rey in Rally Obedience for a short time. We enjoyed the training, but only did one show. To hard on me!!

One of the things that was fun to teach them was to come sit in front of you ("front") and then kind of wave your right hand around from in front of you to your right and behind you and tell them "come around".

I use two hands at chest level and palm to palm to tell Rey "front", then drop the right and swing it around towards my back while saying "come around". We used a leash at first and I had to kind of drag him around, now he just does it and comes back to my side in a sit position.

What always impresses people with Rey is that he does everything with hand signals. It isn't because we want to show off, it's because he doesn't listen and responds better if he sees the signals. I've never met a 2 year old who listened!

My DH says, sit, sit, SIT, SIT!!!! I hold up my index finger and Rey sits. Sometimes I will be behind my DH when he tries to get Rey to sit and I hold up the signal. DH thinks he's getting him trained to do it on command! I'm not telling and neither is Rey!

Hugzz
    Greenbean

9. smiffy79

smiffy79 New Member

green bean do you mean like a 'finish'?

your right about hand signals - all my deaf dogs learn faster than my hearing dogs do. i'm not working in hand signals with hugo but my last foster i did as he too was 'all go' and needed that something extra.

goodwork with your hubby too ;) made me smile lol

i should add before i go --- i met a lady the other day with fibro and lupus -- she trains her dog but also has a handler - the handler comes along for training sessions and works the dog but its the handler who works the dog in the ring. maybe thats an idea for you??[This Message was Edited on 07/12/2006]
  10. smiffy79

smiffy79 New Member

i'm gald we made your day - i will post up a new pic for you xxx

keep on smiling x
  11. fifthofanickel

fifthofanickel New Member

taking in & training foster dogs.They look soooooo happy.. Perhaps you're the one to ask a question then. We just adopted a rescue Bichon/poodle mix male. (neutered, etc) He's a real sweety..Obeys commands. Hand & voice.

Evidently was abused by the husband of the previous family, loud voice, & I don't know what else went on, & goes to women more then men. But did take to hubby after a couple days. I think, because he has a soft voice and calm demeanor..

Anyway, my question is how to handle him from quaking & panting whenever we take him out in our van? He's eager to go, dances around when we say we're going "bye bye" runs to the van & eagerly jumps in, but the minute the van starts up, the quaking & panting start.

Any suggestions would be helpful. We just love him as he is such a sweet boy, but for this one thing. We are taking him on short trips, hoping this will stop, but so far, no go. We're planning a 2hr.trip to visit family in about 3wks., so I'm getting desparate..

Hope you can help us w/this problem. I have another problem I want to ask you, but I think this is enough for now. Lots of pain for me w/this heat & humidity...

Hugs & Blessings;
    Fifth
  12. smiffy79

smiffy79 New Member

as to the panting fifth. as i'm sure you know panting is a sign of stress and to do the little journeys as you are is good.

where does he sit in the van? i ask this as one of my girls needed work with stress in the car to the point that she would be sick.

i stopped travelling with her in the boot (estate) and tried her in the foot well, although she still showed signs of stress it was considerably better than she had been.

do some very close trips - as your dog is happy to get in the van dont make a fuss about him getting in just say good boy and start your journey. when you get out of the van say good boy and give him soom fuss but dont go over board. keep everything low key.

it will also help to just take him out and have him sit in the van and maybe start the engine then say good boy and get back out again.

for his long journey allow plenty of 'pit stops' so he can have a drink and stretch his legs. i've found using the childrens travel sickness remedy 'joy rides' helps to calm doggy tums in the car.

if your into homeopathic remedies a lady i know will hang parsley up side down (i think the dogs are free to nibble)

dont make a fuss of his stress or give him extra hugs as this will under line his feeling that there is something to fear. big smiles and chat freely. i would also suggest you put a nylabone in the footwell or a squeaky bear (depending on the sort of toy he prefers). i dont expect him to even look at the toy for the first few trips but as long as its always there i think he will take interest sooner rather than later which will help keep his mind busy.

if you find he is the sort of dog who really rather would like to see where he is going then again just keep it low key and light.

please bear in mind i have not met you or your dog and i cant see exactly what point he begins to show his stress but over the net at least there are a few tips and ideas here xx
  13. fifthofanickel

fifthofanickel New Member

hints. And I will surely try them. His stress starts as soon as the motor is turned on..I think he's afraid of the noise. When we stop to wherever we are going, the quaking/panting stops. I think he was more or less a house dog, & didn't go for rides much.

Thank you so much for the tips. I know consistancy is the "rule of thumb".

Hugs & Blessings;
    Fifth...
  14. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

He reminds me of these heartbreaking ads we have locally presently. Mom took off collars to wash them and the dogs got out that day!!! There are two of them, both labs.

They have posters and ads all over.

This is an animal loving community with a no kill shelter so I keep hoping someone will find them.

You are so great taking the dogs. When I feel better I plan to walk dogs and groom them at the shelter-with this shelter because it is no kill(unless animal is beyond vet help-and we have a major vet school here so they help)I don't mind doing this. They do a lot of foster/adopt too.

The man who set it up is now elsewhere setting up another shelter, once it is established he will go elsewhere.

NO KILL is possible.

Love Anne Cromwell
  15. smiffy79

smiffy79 New Member

i agree whole heartedly both the rescues i work for are no kill. neither use kennels either prefering to use home to home methods as kenneling brings on another level of stress.

it happens all too often did you know in ireland alone 44 000 were pts last year? hugo came from ireland - retriever rescue bring over as many as they can so at least some are given the chance of a great life instead of the needle.

as i type he is sprawled out under my feet :) we just got back from our walk :) i have to recover then take the dalmatians out!! phew - but then i'm crazy enough to take on 4 dogs lol

i do hope the labs are returned soon - are they insured? under most policys there is a reward the comapny will put up to ensure the safe return of dogs.
  16. Hootie1

Hootie1 New Member

Good job!! I love animals! I have a very shy and scared dog - almost 3 years old. He is the sweetest dog.

The idea about sitting near the traffic is a good one. I need to think about other things to do for him because he is very scared of anyone or anything. I work at home on Tuesdays and have off on Thursdays (just started this schedule) so I think that I might try it. :)

You are a very good person

I noticed that Hugo is a dalmation - so is my dog (mixed) and I understand that it is common in this breed to be skidish? My dog is very cuddly and will put his head between 2 sofa pillows just for a hug. :)[This Message was Edited on 07/13/2006]
  17. smiffy79

smiffy79 New Member

the dalmatian is mine :) hugo is the lab x who is looking for his forever home :)

so is your dog a dal then? at 3 yrs old its a shame he is uncertain around ppl, do you know why or how this happened?
  18. Hootie1

Hootie1 New Member

I can only assume that he was abused as a very small puppy. I have babied him ever since and now I am thinking that by babying him, it only made it worse.

We only have one son and our house is quiet- that doesn't help.
  19. smiffy79

smiffy79 New Member

as he is scared you need to approach his introduction very carefully as his problem could take a few steps back.

remember to go slow but sure with him. if his reaction to meeting ppl or traffic is huge you need to see just how close he will get before his reactions start.

ie you need a safe zone where your dog feels comfortable and for now do not cross that safe zone - even if it is to sit on your door step. you need to be completly calm and relaxed and just gently reassure him. you will need to be a good judge of when enough is enough for him and come away from the event that might upset him before that happens.

everytime you take a step closer use distraction techniques for example hugo is scared of traffic and i've been working him closer and closer to main roads. yesterday we went for a walk down one of our heavier roads and a large truck came by. i got hugo past it by not allowing him to respond to his fear. i used my voice as a distraction by (shouting as the truck was huge) using yip yip yip in a high pitched tone and distracting him by using his nose (very smelly home made garlic and liver cake) and running back wards.

when a fear is extreme your reaction needs to be quick and more extreme than the fear or behaviour. so obviously a dog wouldnt usually see a grown woman running backwards shouting yip yip yip lol i employed the same method for taking up close to a road cleaner.

by not allowing to react to the fear or his behaviour he can associate it with having fun with you instead of barking his head off and trying to run away.

just remember to stay calm and light hearted and please keep it fun - use noise and food as a distraction and when meeting ppl always have him sit - even if it just to watch them walk by.

is it a dalmatian you have?
  20. Hootie1

Hootie1 New Member

Thank you for the advise. I've been working on most of what you said except for the distraction by 'craziness'. (a little humor here). Because he had a tinkling problem with the fear, I have always had him sit.

Bless his heart, he is so obedient! I think because he is afraid of not pleasing me. I never raise my voice with him because of his fear. The only real time that I get too concerned about him is when we have to go away and I need to take him to the kennel. I give him natural medicine to calm his fears and they have a twin bed in separate rooms, but he is still nervous.

Truthfully, I try to limit my vacations - I feel so bad for him. :)