New Game: Songs That Have Food in The Title or Song Volume 2

Discussion in 'Homebound/Bedbound' started by rockgor, Apr 27, 2014.

1. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Hi Kids

Took me a long time to find the "Create Thread" button. I wonder why it's so illusive at times.

Ok, songs with food in the title or lyrics. We already had the Banana Boat song. There's also the old novelty tune from the Roaring 20s: Yes, We Have No Bananas.

And speaking of fruit, "Valencia" was recorded by two great American tenors: Mario Lanza and Jan Peerce. It talks about the orange trees in Spain.

"Shoo Fly Pie and Apple Pan Dowdy" was recorded by Dinah Shore. I looked up shoo fly pie once, but can't remember what I read. I think it's something the Amish or Pennsylvania Dutch make. Diane could probably tell us.

I was thinking Desi Arnez sang a song called "Pineapple Pete" on I Love Lucy. Turns out
    the song was titled "Cuban Pete". But I did find a "The Pineapple Song" on YouTube. It's
    a kids' song. Same tune as "London Bridge is you know what".

Rock
  2. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

Rock, Yes, Shoo Fly Pie and an apple pan dowdy! Makes your eyes light up and your tummy say, Howdy!

How about "Cherry Pink and Apple Blossom White".

I remember one sung by Rosemary Clooney called "Come On a My House". It mentions food but I can't remember what!

also, "Kisses Sweeter Than Wine" a '50's song.
    Last edited: May 3, 2014
  3. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

I looked up the Rosemary Clooney song. "Come On A My House", she's gonna give a you everything. She mentions figs, dates, grapes, pomegranates, apricots, plums, candy. and Easter eggs! The lady is throwing some dinner party!

(I have an idea for another song game thread. Is it time or should I wait?)
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2014
  4. rockgor

Hi Jam, I always liked Dean Martin's version of That's Amore. Hard to say who was more
    laid back. Dean or Perry Como. Too bad those music/variety shows are gone.

Hi GB, Rosemary had several big hits including "Come On-a My House" and "This Ole House." I always figured if she had recorded "Bless this House" she would have had another.

Oh, sure. "Cherry Pink and Apple etc." Big hit when I was a teen. Sung by Marty Robbins
    who had a beautiful voice. His "El Paso" was a huge hit when I was in college. You
    could walk down the hall in the men's dorm and hear that song coming from every radio.

In those primitive times a dorm room did not contain a TV, phone, or computer. The
    radio may have been an old fashioned one with vacuum tubes (like mine) or one of new ones
    with transistors.

Life is full of decisions. I will leave the one on the timing of the new game to you. Either
    is fine with me. (But my curiosity is you know what.)

Rock
  5. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

Transistor radios! Haven't thought of those in years Rock. :)

A few years ago my then teen-aged granddaughter wanted to find a vintage red transistor radio on EBay to give to her mom for her birthday. Her mom had one when she was growing up.

State of the art no doubt. I remember our first hi fi, stereo, quad speakers, color tv, and our huge Amana microwave oven.
    Ah, memories.

I also remember Desi singing another version of Cuban Pete. They did a rodeo show and he changed the lyrics to Texas Pete, I believe. He could rumba!

Jam, That's Amore was popular when I was 12 years old. It played on the radio all the time.
  6. rockgor

Tea for Two. A great song if you want to tap dance.

'Take Me Out to the Ballgame. Buy me some peanuts and crackerjacks. "Eating Goober Peas"
    was a popular song during the Civil War. (Goober peas are peanuts.) Youtube has several versions.

Food, Glorious Food from "Oliver".

Yes, GB, memories. Here's a song that includes both food and celestial aspects. "Memories
    Are Made of This". Refers to wine and to moonbeams.

The latest memory I have of a technological breakthrough was about 15 years ago. A
    coworker showed up with a phone that took vidoes. Had ten seconds of his new puppy
    romping in the backyard.

Rock
  7. Soul*

Soul* Well-Known Member

Oooooh just thought of another one :D

C is for cookie
    thats good enough for me
    C is for cookie
    thats good enough for me

C is for cookie
    thats good enough for me
    Oh Cookie cookie cookie starts with C

By the world famous bluesinger .....

Cookie monster!!!!!!
  8. rockgor

Cookie Monster a blues singer! Oh, Soul, you are so droll. Sesame Street was new about the
    same time my son was. We used to have Sesame Street records, etc. I was very shocked about
    20 years later to hear someone say something negative about Sesame Street.

It was a teacher. He said Sesame Street has contributed to the short attention span of modern
    children. They find it very difficult to sit still and pay attention. They think school should be
    entertainment. Well, it's always interesting to hear a different viewpoint.

Little Jack Horner is both a nursery rhyme and a song.

Little Jack Horner
    Sat in the corner,
    Eating a Christmas pie;
    He put in his thumb,
    And pulled out a plum,
    And said 'What a good boy am I!'

In Rodgers and Hammerstein's "Carousel" there's a song titled "We Had a Real Nice
    Clambake" which mentions codfish chowder, onions, salted pork, lobsters, butter
    and clams.

Rock
  9. Soul*

Soul* Well-Known Member

Today was brought to you by the letter S since there was one to many in rocks blues singer :p

I remember little jack horner, we used that one as a warmup in the choir in winter.
  10. tgeewiz

tgeewiz Member

How about the hymn that Johnny Cash used to sing:

In the sweet pie and pie
    We shall eat on that beautiful shore!

Ok, maybe my brain fog caused me to mix up some words!

Tim
  11. rockgor

Hi Tim

What a kawinkydink! You mentioned pie. Gordon and I are making a pie tomorrow.
    It won't be sweet though. It will be a chicken pie.

Speaking of Johnny Cash, I saw him in a concert in Minneapolis 47 years ago. June and the
    Statler Brothers were there. Johnny wasn't the Man in Black then. He was the man in denim.

Rock
  12. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

Rock, We had several record albums by the Statler Brothers, I think they were called The Statler Brothers Quartet back then. They sang some great Gospel songs in the '60s. I remember some of the people from our church going to a concert one year. Wish I had gone. GB
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2015
  13. I just joined and this is my first post so forgive my newbie fumblings.

How about:

"put the lime in the coconut" (Harry Nilsson 1971)

"Burgers and fries and cherry pies, it was simple and good back then....." (Charley Pride)
  14. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

Welcome LauraElizabeth! It's so good to see you on the board. Join in on any of the games. Those are good "food" songs. :)

Look over all the other threads. There may be some that will give you a laugh. I love your avatar. GB66
  15. rockgor

Hi Laura, Welcome to the Board.

GB, there's an old song called "We Make a Peach of a Pair" which is one or two foods depending on how you spell pair. And I think there are some margarita songs/dances although I don't know any personally. I have, however, drunk a few margaritas personally.

I remember when I was about to leave Minnesota to move to California. A co worker who had
    lived in the golden state told me, "It's a great place. Can't beat the margaritas and you can
    buy avocados for a dime apiece." I had never heard of either one.

Peter, Paul and Mary recorded "Lemon Tree" about half a century ago. Did we already
    list that one? Got too many for my Pooh sized brain to recall anymore.

Rock