New Game: Songs That Have Food in The Title or Song

Discussion in 'Homebound/Bedbound' started by gb66, Apr 24, 2014.

1. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

Here's a game idea that was suggested by Judy (Windblade) and her creative husband.

Name a song that has some Food mentioned in the title or in the song.

Here's one: "The Turkey Trot" (In honor of Rock's allergy) :)
    Soul* likes this.
  2. hangininthere

hangininthere Well-Known Member

'Day-O (The Banana Boat Song)' sang by Harry Belafonte.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2014
  3. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

Good one Hangininthere!

Another: "You Are the Sunshine of my Life" You are the APPLE of my eye.
  4. hangininthere

'Apples, Peaches, Pumpkin Pie' by Jay and the Techniques.

5. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

This thread is making me HUNGRY!
  6. hangininthere

Hahaha, GB.

Guess what I just had a piece of?

Pumpkin pie I made this afternoon and it just now cooled enough to have some.

Believe it or not, I forgot it was there, even after posting that song and video (talk about brain fog).

Was happily surprised when I discovered it when I went in to kitchen just now.

Patti
  7. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

Patti, I wanted to order a slice of pumpkin pie from the cafeteria for Easter but they didn't have any! Guess they only have it at the winter holidays.

I never make or buy whole pies/cakes anymore since I developed diabetes but do get a slice on occasion. I can eat about half of it at a time without having a problem with the sugar.

I love pumpkin. It's my favorite. We ended up with coconut cream, my husbands favorite. It's good too.

I do have a few Hershey's kisses every day. Don't want to feel too deprived. :) I know that feeling of joy when you discover a treat you've forgotten about. I put the candies in my lap, and sometimes I think I've eaten them all ): and then discover one or two more. :) Oh joy!

P.S. Love the videos. GB
  8. hangininthere

Wow, speaking of pumpkin pie, your favorite!

Hahahaha, oh joy indeed!

Patti
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2014
  9. hangininthere

'Yes, We Have No Bananas' sang here by the Pied Pipers.

10. windblade

windblade Active Member

"When the moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's amore." Sung by Dean Martin

Lol - this is a fun game. And making me hungry too. I love pumpkin pie - what a treat to have it at this time of the year, Patti. "The turkey trot" - good one, GB.

I'm determined to learn how to bring pics and videos here.
  11. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Hi Kids

Oh, good! A new game. And one that has some substance to it. Or do I mean sustenance?
    Good idea, Windblade and spouse.

I saw the Kingston Trio in the 60s. The guys in the video are doppelgangers; not the originals.

In 1893 Katharine Lee Bates, a college professor, ascended Pike's Peak and was inspired to write a poem we all know. Included in the lyrics of the song are "amber waves of grain and fruited plain".

And then there's the folk song from the days of the gold rush: Sweet Betsy from Pike.

"The Shanghai ran off, and the cattle all died,
    That morning the last piece of bacon was fried.
    Ike got discouraged, Betsy got mad,
    The dog drooped his tail and looked wonderfully sad."
    A Shanghai is a breed of chicken. Our old friend Stephen Foster wrote a comic song called
    "Don't Bet Your Money on the Shanghai". The lyrics mention chickens, pigeons, geese,
    wheat, potatoes, and corn.

And Sweet Betsy from Pike is the only song I can think of that has "divorce" in the lyrics aside
    from Tammy Wynette's number one hit: D-I-V-O-R-C-E. Very popular the year I lived in Las Vegas.

Rock
  12. windblade

windblade Active Member

Rock - I'm always learning something new from you. The only song I knew there was the amber waves of grain.

My contribution to this pot-luck is:

"Parsley, sage , rosemary and thyme" by Simon and Garfunkle. I think Paul Simon adapted it from an English ballad.
  13. bct

bct Active Member

My contribution is "Tea for the Tillerman" if you will allow drinks in the game! Album of this name by Cat Stevens. The song is also in the album. Long time no hear.....

Love and good eating,
    Barry --- drinking a cup of lemongrass green tea right NOW!!
  14. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

Here's another: "Candy Kisses" wrapped in paper......
    Was written in 1947.

Or: "Shoo Fly Pie and Apple Pan Dowdy" makes your eyes light up and your tummy say "Howdy". " Recorded by Doris Day.

Way back when: "The Good Ship Lollipop" On the good ship lollipop life's a sweet trip to a candy shop, where bon bons play on the sunny shores of peppermint bay........
  15. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

With Judy's pizza and Barry's tea we have a good meal going. Followed by all my candies and Patti's pumpkin pie. Rock brought the chickens, wheat, corn and potatoes. We'll have to save some of this for anther meal. :)

Also some apples, bananas, and apple pan dowdy, whatever that is. We can also use those spices, maybe make some stuffing for the chicken. We have a regular Thanksgiving dinner here!
  16. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

Which reminds me of another song. "On a Picnic We Will Go" (or something like that.)

The song lists all the things they're bringing to the picnic. I'll have to look it up.
  17. windblade

windblade Active Member

"I want some sea-food Mama
    I want some sea-food Mama
    Shrimpers and rice, and everything nice"

By - Fats Waller. A wonderful jazz pianist and singer.

Barry - going to look up Cat Stevens on youtube. Loved his singing!
  18. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Hi Kids

Windblade, good for you. I never would have thought of "Parsley, Sage, etc."

GB, "Good Ship Lollipop" was written by Richard Whiting who wrote other well known
    songs like Beyond the Blue Horizon and Hooray for Hollywood. Some of his songs were
    recorded by his daughter Margaret Whiting who had a TV show when I was a kid.

She also sang with the Paul Weston band. Conductor Paul was married to Jo Stafford
    (once a member of the Pied Pipers, Hanginthere). I met both Paul and Jo in the 80s.
    Jo had a wonderful, sultry voice. My uncle loved her. I loved her voice too, but thought
    she sang everything too slow. Don't know if she or Paul set the tempo. Isn't it
    amazing how these show biz folks get linked together?!

You guys ever eat schnitzel? It's a breaded veal cutlet. Anyway "schnitzel with noodles"
    appears in a song from a Broadway musical. Can you name that tune?

Never heard of "Going on a Picnic" before. Yes, lists lots of picnic items including
    sandwiches, salads, lemonade and cookies.

And then there's our old friend "On Top of Spaghetti" and a novelty song called "One
    Meat Ball" that the Andrews sisters recorded in the 40s. My uncle and mother loved
    those goofy songs. Used to play those 78s (78 rpm) whenever he came to visit and
    laugh like loons.

There are lots of birds listed in the "Twelve Days of Christmas" song plus 5 golden
    rings. Rings are sometimes a food as in "onion rings".

Barry, do you grow your own lemon grass? Gordon has been growing it for the
    last few years. Mostly he gives it to friends. He put some in a sort of Asian stew
    last year. He cooks a lot of stuff I don't eat. Too spicy for my Midwest palate.
    My people don't like anything spicier than whipped cream.

Rock
  19. bct

bct Active Member

Hungry? Eat this: Jambalaya and a crawfish pie and fillet gumbo,
    Cause tonight I'm gonna see ma cher amio,
    Pick guitar fill fruit jar and be gay-o,
    Son of a gun we'll have big fun on the bayou.

Hi Rock, no I don't grow lemon grass. They do have it in the shops though. Mine is already incorporated into the tea I get. I am truly sorry for your sorry palate! You don't know what you are missing, dude. (Are we too old for "dude"?) :cool:

Oh, the lyrics above are from Hank Williams. And I can see that Rock isn't going to eat any of it.....:rolleyes:

GB: I share your passwion for chocolate and eat some nearly every day. I only like very dark chocolate, like Theo salt chocolate. Another one I like is dark choc. with cherries and chiles. My mother always preferred milk chocolate. Never could get into it. I don't know Hershey's kisses...o_O

Love to all,
    Barry
  20. Soul*

Soul* Well-Known Member

At first I could only think of Dutch songs but then I remembered the Candyman, that counts as one doesn't it :p Though I can't remember if it has actual food in the lyrics except the Candy in Candyman.
    The Candyman can and he mixes it with love and makes the world taste good.

Oh and seeing strawberry in one of the posts reminded me of strawberry fields forever. And that's probably the only part I remember of the song.
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2014