New Game: What Where?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by sisland, Jun 29, 2007.

1. sisland

sisland New Member

Hi Everyone
    Time for a new Game! Check out the photo in my Bio and Tell me Where this is located and what it is,,,,All guess Welcome,,,,Goodluck! it's Foriegn and religious,,,

[This Message was Edited on 06/29/2007]
  2. kholmes

kholmes New Member

I'm terrible at identifying architecture, but it kind of looks like a building you'd see in Italy or maybe in central Europe. .
    It's function is religious, you say?

Maybe in Rome? Doesn't look as colossal or crowded as something in the Vatican, though.
  3. sisland

sisland New Member

There is a ST,,,in it's name,, think of the "Zar"
  4. paulmack

paulmack New Member

Great pic but no idea at the moment.I'm thinking Italy as well maybe?
    But only guessing.Will have to do some searching.
  5. sisland

sisland New Member

Glad your in on the game! Not in Italy tho! It's in a country that starts with a R,,,Sis
  6. paulmack

paulmack New Member

Think I've found it,that clue was a dead giveaway.But I won't reveal it just yet,but it is in Russia,right,lol.
  7. sisland

sisland New Member

As Rock would say,,,Hoots Man! your a Quick one! Thanks for letting it go longer!,,,,,Sis,,,P.s. or is that what you say?
  8. kholmes

kholmes New Member

a religious building in Russia? It doesn't have the famous gold "onion" domes of churches in Moscow and Saint Petersburg. Paul will have to clue me in on this one.
  9. paulmack

paulmack New Member

I think this cathedral is in St Petersburg.
  10. sisland

sisland New Member

The Catherdral of the Kazan, Mother of God,,,, it took 10 years to build and the origional Plan was to biuld it to look like a Latin Cross,,,as you can see that got changed!,,,,,,,,But it's still Breathtaking!

On one friday the 13th someone poured 2 bottles of Dish Soap inthe fountian and it swelled up with alot of Bubbles everywhere! needless to say it got alot of Tourist attention that day!,,,,,,,,,Thanks for playing Paul and Ken!
  11. kholmes

kholmes New Member

What made you choose the Cathedral of Kazan?

It's an interesting and beautiful place. And I guess it does have a small, gold onion dome on the very top. Here's what I found out about it online:

Kazan Cathedral encircles a small square with a striking double row of beautiful columns. The architect Andrei Voronikhin, who built the church in 1801-1811, was inspired by St. Peter's Basilica in Rome. After the War of 1812, the church became a monument to the Russian victory over Napoleon. Captured enemy banners were put in the cathedral and the famous Russian field marshal Mikhail Kutuzov, who won the most important campaign of 1812, was buried inside the church. The cathedral was named after a "miracle-making" icon of Our Lady of Kazan, which the church housed till the early 1930s. The Bolsheviks closed the cathedral for services in 1929, and from 1932 it housed the collections of the Museum of History of Religion and Atheism.

12. sisland

sisland New Member

I was checking out Famous Architecture on line and came across this Catheradral! Thanks for adding the Historical info on it!!

Also i Found a Museum in St. Petersburg that has Preserved Human and Non Human Oddities in Jars,,,It's called Kuntz-Kamera if you want to check it out ,,,,,,,It also has Ancient Torture Devices,,,,,Very interesting! But kinda weird,,,,S
  13. kholmes

kholmes New Member

Ancient torture devices? Sounds like just the thing for a Friday night!

Sounds interesting, though. I'll check it out.
  14. sisland

sisland New Member

For your prize,,,,,,,All i can afford to give you is a bottle of Dishsoap,,,lolol Sorry! Glad your doin Good!,,,,,,Sis
  15. paulmack

paulmack New Member

A bottle of dishsoap sounds great.
    But hey,here's me thinkin' I'm getting a trip to Russia,lol.
    Thanks for the game.