New game: Where and when was this picture taken?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by kholmes, Apr 9, 2007.

1. kholmes

kholmes New Member

Hello, all. It rained all morning and snowed on Saturday here in Albuquerque. Very unusual for New Mexico. But we're all moved in. Feeling a bit disoriented and wiped out from the move, but happy to be in the new house.

But it's time for a new game: identify where in the world this picture was taken and when, as in what year, it was taken. Lastly, what was going on in the picture?

2. kholmes

kholmes New Member

Wrong on both counts, but I like your guesses! The first one is a little closer...

[This Message was Edited on 04/09/2007]
  3. kholmes

kholmes New Member

Will have to check on guesses in a little while.

4. paulmack

paulmack New Member

Glad to hear you're settled in your new home.

As for the pic I've no idea,but I'll take a guess at some gold prospectors somewhere in the US.

Going out for a few hours so I'll do some searching later unless someone gets it in the meantime.
  5. elliespad

elliespad Member

That's the rope the Grinch used to rob all the Who's in Whoville.
  6. wwiggins

wwiggins New Member

Hint for picture: Ken says it has to do with the Yukon.

I'm Ken's wife. I'm at work- so I can't post too much!

Ken is having computer problems at home. I think we may have a virus or something so he may be on tomorrow afternoon. (hopefully then...or sooner).

7. kholmes

kholmes New Member

My computer seems to be working again. I thought it might take a few days for repair.

You're on the right track: think gold mining and the mountains.

This is a famous photo for a number of reasons.
    [This Message was Edited on 04/09/2007]
  8. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

hope you settle into your new house and you all love it. That is strange, snow in New Mexico, sounds so Exotic, living there.

Take it easy.

Missed the game but photo looks amazing.

9. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

I knew it was Chilkoot Pass.....did anyone mention the year? Was it 1898? I believe that was the big gold rush......
  10. wwiggins

wwiggins New Member

You got it. Ken will be back on in a day or 2. We are reloading everything tonight. Hopefully, he'll be on tomorrow.
  11. kholmes

kholmes New Member

It was the Chilkoot Pass in the Yukon, during the great Gold Rush, circa 1898. The image of miners climbing up in a long line to the avalanche-strewn pass became famous.

Charlie Chaplin imitated the image in his silent film classic, The Gold Rush.
  12. kholmes

kholmes New Member

I was starting to go through computer withdrawl.
    Good job on the game!