New Genetic Study

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Mikie, Sep 4, 2003.

1. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Hi, Gang. I am pasting part of an article on our Home Page here because my post on genetics brought such a huge response. I did not paste the whole thing, just the part on the genetics research. Seems there will be a nature AND nurture part to this study, so the results should be fascinating. Here what the article has to say about the genetic part. You can read the whole thing on the Home Page. It's just exciting that there is genetic research going on.

Love, Mikie

Does Fibromyalgia Run in Families?
    ImmuneSupport.com

09-03-2003

Researchers have found that fibromyalgia is more common among the siblings, parents and children of those who have fibromyalgia than in the general population. But their research didn't clear up whether this phenomenon was the result of nature or nurture. A new study funded by the National Institutes of Health (NIH) will examine the role nature might play.
    Jane Olson, Ph.D., a genetic researcher at Case Western Reserve University in Cleveland, recently began a four-year, $2 million project to map genes in the selected relatives of 160 families with a history of fibromyalgia. "We're searching for genes that may cause fibromyalgia. If we find them, then we can learn about what's causing the syndrome on a biological level," says Olson. She expects those findings will help researchers develop effective treatments for fibromyalgia.

In a previous study, Muhammad Yunus, M.D., a rheumatologist at the University of Illinois College of Medicine in Peoria, found a link between fibromyalgia and a specific genetic marker by studying 40 families in which close relatives had fibromyalgia. That study was limited, however, because it only looked at one genetic marker present on the cells, notes Dr. Yunus, who will help conduct Dr. Olson's study as a co-investigator