new girl

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by patkiddy, Nov 7, 2002.

1. patkiddy

patkiddy New Member

i have a question for all of you out there. Had a situation were mom did a telephone survey about hear aids, and unkwown to me, the person came to the house and tested her hearing i am assuming and mom signed a contract for earning aids at a large sum of money, wrote them a check for deposit. i found out about this as I was making my morning check on her and found the receipt with her check book. she of course remembers none of it at all. she has no short term memory at all none .....how can i prevent this situation from happening again. i of course stopped payment and called and cancelled the contract. I hate to keep taking things from her. any suggestions or has anyone run into this situation. thanks, pat
  2. patkiddy

patkiddy New Member

i have a question for all of you out there. Had a situation were mom did a telephone survey about hear aids, and unkwown to me, the person came to the house and tested her hearing i am assuming and mom signed a contract for earning aids at a large sum of money, wrote them a check for deposit. i found out about this as I was making my morning check on her and found the receipt with her check book. she of course remembers none of it at all. she has no short term memory at all none .....how can i prevent this situation from happening again. i of course stopped payment and called and cancelled the contract. I hate to keep taking things from her. any suggestions or has anyone run into this situation. thanks, pat
  3. karen2002

karen2002 New Member

Hi Pat...yes, I have been in the same situation. I took care of my grandmother who had alzheimers, until she passed, at 92. During the last 4 years of her life one of the things that was necessary, was to take care of her finances. Which meant relieving her, of her check book, and paying bills for her.
    I know it is hard, taking things away, but it is so necessary to protect her, from those who take advantage.
    Best wishes,
    Karen
    OHhh, also, the lack of short term memory--really helps in this case.[This Message was Edited on 11/07/2002]
  4. joyof3

joyof3 New Member

just wanted to Welcome you to the board. hope to get to know you better.

Best Wishes,
    stephanie
  5. klutzo

klutzo New Member

Get her evaluated by a Geriatrician ASAP. We finally got my mother in law to go, and she was dx'd with early stage Alzheimers. She is not nearly as bad off as your mom seems to be yet. The sooner you know, the better the chance the meds they have now can slow it down. Or, if it turns out to be vascular dementia, drugs for blood pressure or other problems that can cause it may help a great deal.
    Also, go to the top of the front page of this Board and click on "Message Boards" again. Unless they've changed it around in the last couple of weeks, this should take you to a page where you can chose from many other useful Message Boards here, including one for Alzheimers. You should find lots of support and info there.
    Best wishes,
    Klutzo