New Guy - Introduction

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by dbirdman, Oct 24, 2002.

1. dbirdman

dbirdman New Member

Hello All,

I was pleasantly surprised to come across this board, so if you don't mind, I think I'll stay a while. A quick Bio on Me:

Caucasian Male, 37 years old, and have been fighting overwhelming fatigue issues since I was about 19. It hits me most every day to some extent, and on the bad days I look back on the day and can barely recall what I did. Everything is very hazy. It hits me in 'waves', and when one comes, I can't stay awake. I try to walk it off, though it feels like someone plugged a tube into me and sucked out all of my energy, then filled all of my bones with cement. My bones ache, my legs buckle, and at the same time I feel like I'm bolted to the ground, but kind of floating.

I have also always had other issues that I didn't understand until I sought professional help about six years ago; I just thought I was weird and different. I was diagnosed by several different doctors and therapists with Tourette's Syndrome, OCD (Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder), Social Anxiety Disorder, and probably a touch of a few other things. I like to think of it as a neurological cocktail. SSRI Meds definitely helped my life in certain areas. It was difficult to explain to my Wife why I would break out in an immediate, drenching sweat all over my body, start shaking, and be frozen with sheer terror at the thought of asking a store clerk a question. I can now smile at total strangers and say "Hello" without melting into a self-conscious puddle.

My biggest problem in the ongoing fatigue. I also have constant joint pain, mostly in my shoulders and wrists. It feels like I have ground glass in my joints. The doctors tell me there's nothing wrong with me, but I have pressed the issue over the years and have had various blood tests, MRI for my shoulder, sleep studies for Narcolepsy, etc...
    My Psychiatrists blame it on Physical issues, and my Doctors blame it on my Psychological issues. My latest doctor finally conceded the possibility of CFS. I do a lot of my own research and re-visit the doctors periodically with new theories and tests. What they don't seem to understand is that this is serious in a life-threatening, life-altering way. I haven't had an alcoholic drink in six years, I don't drink soda, I never smoked, I work out four times a week (I have to literally force myself sometimes, with the fatigue and shoulder pain - trying to get the benefit without causing more damage or pain), and eat well. I have a great Wife and the three most wonderful children I could have ever dreamed of. I want to give them everything that's good in this life, all the wisdom I've been able to gleen, and all of my attention. And I do the best I can, though could do so much better if I could just find a way to deal with the fatigue.

I'll end with a couple of questions:
    I went totally off caffeine for a while, though now have a cup of coffee in the morning whenever it is really bad. It helps, though if I take it every day it stops working after a couple of weeks. Does anyone take any other types of non-addictive stimulants to help them during the day?

Also, this may sound strange, but does anyone have greater difficulty during a full moon? I would normally dismiss this as "hocus-pocus", though have been noticing a pattern.

Thanks for your attention, glad to be here, and hopefully my opinions and experiences may be of interest and use.

Regards
  2. dbirdman

dbirdman New Member

Hello All,

I was pleasantly surprised to come across this board, so if you don't mind, I think I'll stay a while. A quick Bio on Me:

Caucasian Male, 37 years old, and have been fighting overwhelming fatigue issues since I was about 19. It hits me most every day to some extent, and on the bad days I look back on the day and can barely recall what I did. Everything is very hazy. It hits me in 'waves', and when one comes, I can't stay awake. I try to walk it off, though it feels like someone plugged a tube into me and sucked out all of my energy, then filled all of my bones with cement. My bones ache, my legs buckle, and at the same time I feel like I'm bolted to the ground, but kind of floating.

I have also always had other issues that I didn't understand until I sought professional help about six years ago; I just thought I was weird and different. I was diagnosed by several different doctors and therapists with Tourette's Syndrome, OCD (Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder), Social Anxiety Disorder, and probably a touch of a few other things. I like to think of it as a neurological cocktail. SSRI Meds definitely helped my life in certain areas. It was difficult to explain to my Wife why I would break out in an immediate, drenching sweat all over my body, start shaking, and be frozen with sheer terror at the thought of asking a store clerk a question. I can now smile at total strangers and say "Hello" without melting into a self-conscious puddle.

My biggest problem in the ongoing fatigue. I also have constant joint pain, mostly in my shoulders and wrists. It feels like I have ground glass in my joints. The doctors tell me there's nothing wrong with me, but I have pressed the issue over the years and have had various blood tests, MRI for my shoulder, sleep studies for Narcolepsy, etc...
    My Psychiatrists blame it on Physical issues, and my Doctors blame it on my Psychological issues. My latest doctor finally conceded the possibility of CFS. I do a lot of my own research and re-visit the doctors periodically with new theories and tests. What they don't seem to understand is that this is serious in a life-threatening, life-altering way. I haven't had an alcoholic drink in six years, I don't drink soda, I never smoked, I work out four times a week (I have to literally force myself sometimes, with the fatigue and shoulder pain - trying to get the benefit without causing more damage or pain), and eat well. I have a great Wife and the three most wonderful children I could have ever dreamed of. I want to give them everything that's good in this life, all the wisdom I've been able to gleen, and all of my attention. And I do the best I can, though could do so much better if I could just find a way to deal with the fatigue.

I'll end with a couple of questions:
    I went totally off caffeine for a while, though now have a cup of coffee in the morning whenever it is really bad. It helps, though if I take it every day it stops working after a couple of weeks. Does anyone take any other types of non-addictive stimulants to help them during the day?

Also, this may sound strange, but does anyone have greater difficulty during a full moon? I would normally dismiss this as "hocus-pocus", though have been noticing a pattern.

Thanks for your attention, glad to be here, and hopefully my opinions and experiences may be of interest and use.

Regards
  3. kadywill

kadywill New Member

I'm glad you found us~~~lurk around and read up. I'll bet you learn something here, like I have! My problems deal MOSTLY with my pain and insomnia. When I'm UP, I'm really UP, but I always have to pay for it later. I am 47, female and happily married to a great guy who loves me and tries hard to be compassionate and understanding with my inconsistant health issues. I feel so sorry for him.
    I don't take stimulants, although the Ultram I take for pain does hype me up a little. That's not a bad thing for me. I don't have any caffeine intake. I drink only water now.
    I, too, believe in the full moon thing. I'm a nurse and I learned a long time ago not to laugh at such things.....I KNOW there are changes in people during a full moon.
    I hope we can have more chances to chat......stick around! Nice to meet you!
    Kady
  4. ladydi

ladydi New Member

Dear Dbirdman,
    Welcome to the board. Glad you decided to join in.

About your fatigue, there are many topics discussed here
    almost everyday about it. Myself, I take Providil. It helps to an extent. I also, have heard that Carrot Juice will give you a jilt.

My Pysc. also gave me an anphetamine to take if the fatigue is too bad. I guess I really got lucky about getting those meds. I just mentioned the over-whelming fatigue and she offered theses meds.

I assume you still work, so I would definatly push the issue to your Doc. or Psych, there's nothing worse than being dead tired at work.

Go to the "Search Message" box, and type in Provigil.
    You will find that there are many related post on it.

Hope you have better 'amunition' when you see your doc
    again. There (ARE) meds for fatigue. It sounds like yours could be very well controlled by one of these stimulants.

Well, just a friendly welcome to a new friend,

Warm Fibro-Hugs to Dbirdman. Have a good day.
    LadyDi

ps I'm sure there will be others to come along to welcome
    and give you more advice on fatigue.

Oh, yeah, The FULL moon effects me in many ways. My hubby
    keeps me posted on it because he's a dear hunter and the dear
    move in different ways during a full moon.
    I've also heard that there is more violence during the
    full moon. Very Interesting.
    [This Message was Edited on 10/24/2002]
  5. karen2002

karen2002 New Member

I believe I am visited by the same gnomes, each day--those that fill your limbs with cement. It sounds as if you are your own best advocate. Funny how the medical profession has increasingly turned over advocacy to the patient. We the people that are most fatigued, have to fight an uphill battle. I too, like you have a wonderfully supportive family. I cannot imagine the pain, and desolation, that others afflicted with this, must feel, without their families support.
    Caffeine, is the only stimulant, I use. I believe this is more detrimental, than beneficial, though. I truly, plunge into the depths of fatigue, much deeper, when this wears off. I am in the process, of cutting down on this.
    Full Moons? Oh, yes, it may seem like hocus pocus---but that spell is cast upon me--when the moon gleams brightly.
    Best Wishes,
    Karen
  6. stillafreemind

stillafreemind New Member

and welcome to this board. You will find a lot of help and comfort here..or I sure have so far.

If you scroll down past your post..Mike posted..Poll..medications for fatigue..or something really close to that. There are alot of helpful suggestions there.

I know this must really be burden for men who are the bread winners. I truly hope you find some help soon. And as far as the full moon goes..hey everything from the goats to us here on this homestead get..well..shall we say a little strange? Ha! Hope you post often.
  7. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Hi Birdman, welcome to our world. Glad you found our board.

You are very articulate, got the whole picture on the first read of your post.

Sorry I can't help much, I am a Fibromyalgia suffer, have had it for 20 plus years.

I would recommend (from my own experience) that you try; 'ZMA' by SNAC for the muscle stiffness (or spasms?) in your shoulders. I have been taking two capsules at night for sleep since Feburary this year, and it helps with deep sleep plus the terrible spasms in my shoulders have lessened at least 80%.

You can read about it at the 'Store' link on the right top side of this page. Its actually promoted for weight lifting, but we have a gentleman(Mel) on the board that found out it also helps with deep stage four sleep. I tried it and it works for both.

Again, welcome to the board, and hope we hear from you often.

Shalom, Shirl
  8. MsJoey

MsJoey New Member

Welcome to our little corner of the world here. You so aptly described how we feel!! The cement man has been busy at my place this morning, lol. I think the glass grinder was up all night too. When I'm really feeling super tired and out of it at work, I'll grab a coffee just to keep going a bit longer. Sometimes it helps and sometimes it just makes me feel worse. I never know which it'll be, so it's always a gamble. I think there is something to the full moon, too. I'm up wandering the house at night especially during a full moon....hmmm. Then it is sure hard to go to work the next day. Yowsah. Well, welcome & I hope you stick around, too. My brother also has FMS. He doesn't get the horrible CFS symptoms like I do, though. I go the doctor/meds route and he goes cold turkey/alcohol route. I think my way might be better. He also never likes to discuss it at all, which is strange to me. He internalizes it. I hope you hang out with us!
  9. pepper

pepper New Member

The only stimulant I take is a cup of black tea in the morning and a cup of green tea in the afternoon. They have caffeine but are also good for you. I think I get a small burst of energy from it, emphasis on "small".

As a former teacher, I'll tell you that the full moon does affect us. I was feeling so "antsy" the other night I asked my husband to take me for a drive because I felt I was going crazy. We looked up in the sky when we started out and we both said together "Full moon!" Which explained it for both of us.

I'm sure you'll learn a lot from this board as I have and you sound like you will have valuable opinions to share. Welcome! Pepper
  10. kay

kay New Member

I am off and running to meet my daughter, but wanted to welcome you. Yes on the full moon. I agree with that, also! LOL LINDA
  11. dbirdman

dbirdman New Member

Thanks to everyone for the warm welcome. It's nice to find a group of intelligent, informed people with which to discuss the challenges we face on a daily basis that most other people cannot see or understand.

Jelly: I'm sorry to hear about your son. I'm a Programmer and stare at a Computer all day, which certainly doesn't seem like a good match for my fatigue, though I do the best I can. I work hard and take pride in doing the best I can for the advancement of my department, my company, and myself as an IT professional. Having said that, I often feel like I'm not pulling my weight, especially when I fight all morning just to stay awake, and cannot get much done. I have expressed to my Wife on many occasions that I don't know how long I can deal with feeling this way, as whenever I have a fatigue 'wave', I have lingering feelings of despair, sometimes for the rest of the day. I also tell her that I feel weak, like I should be able to fight this thing better. As the sole source of our income, I guess I am afraid of problems with my job. In response, my Wife reminds me that I get up every morning and go to work, regardless of how I feel, and rarely take a sick day, unless I am really sick, which doesn't happen very often. She also reminds me that I have been able to excel within my field and continue to advance my knowledge and position.

Yes, there is added pressure for someone who is the sole bread-winner of a family, whether they are male or female.

I think the best thing is awareness. I didn't have anyone 'Notice' that I had problems; I discovered them on my own later in life. It seems that the best thing your son has right now is you. You're watching him, you're aware, and you can let him know from the beginning that he is not alone. He must also try to keep a positive attitude. My Wife would laugh at this, because sometimes I feel like there is no hope, and get very depressed and negative. Then, I look at my Wife, and into the faces of my Children, and I understand my place in this life. I am not alone, and I have wonderful people that depend on me. So, I get up, I go to work, and I keep looking for better ways to deal with these issues.

This became a little deeper than I intended. Thanks again for all of your kind words.

Regards
  12. cpalance

cpalance New Member

Just wanted to welcome you. I was going to suggest a sleep study as my husband was falling asleep at his terminal all the time and found out he has sleep apnea. But since you have already done that, I guess my suggestions won't help. I do want to let you know that you are not alone, my husband who is 51 is also an IT Professional and has had 2 heart attacks, both kinds of sleep apenia, diabetes, and neuropthy. He is like you, gets up and goes to work every day. He also worries about pulling his own weight, especially in this market right now. But he never stops, I only wish I could do what he does, I have FMS and severe osteroarthritis and unable to work.
    You are doing a wonderful job. I know how hard it is. Unless I could find a job that would let me take a nap when I needed to, then I would be able to work.
    Glad you came to our board, lots of good info, and lots of loving caring people.

Cindy