new HC bill- NPR illuminating documentary

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by victoria, Apr 14, 2010.

1. victoria

victoria New Member

NPR can't be called conservative... just reading this synopsis is illuminating, I hope I get to view the full documentary eventually. Shows how our government really "works". So much for hope & idealism; this makes me very sad, nothing ever changes.

"FRONTLINE investigates how, near the start of the health care reform process, Baucus and the White House negotiated a secret $80 billion deal with Billy Tauzin, the former Louisiana congressman who had become the pharmaceutical industry's top lobbyist."

In Obama's Deal, veteran FRONTLINE producer Michael Kirk (Bush's War, Dreams of Obama) takes viewers behind the headlines to reveal the political maneuvering behind Barack Obama's effort to remake the American health system and transform the way Washington works. Through interviews with administration officials, senators and Washington lobbyists, Obama's Deal reveals the dramatic details of how an idealistic president pursued the health care fight -- despite the warnings of many of his closest advisers -- and how he ended up making deals with many of the powerful special interests he had campaigned against.

"The stakes couldn't be much higher," former Senate Majority Leader Tom Daschle (D-S.D.) tells FRONTLINE about what was involved in the landmark health care legislation. "We're talking about almost 20 percent of our gross domestic product today, $2.5 trillion. Literally tens, hundreds of millions of dollars are spent on lobbying. Every special interest has their oar in the water."

more at the above website.

PS: I just realized I can watch it online in full, so can any/everyone no matter what country you live in. :) (Initially it wouldn't start for me for some reason, so I assumed I couldn't get it)

[This Message was Edited on 04/14/2010]