New Here Actually went to Disney World hurting like mad

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by BeBetterSoon, Mar 24, 2006.

1. BeBetterSoon

BeBetterSoon New Member

I know I am very lucky to have just gone to Disney World and boy am I paying for it now! I went because we have taken each of older children when they turned 7 and wanted to do the same thing with our youngest.

I wanted to make the trip fun and memorable, but ended up cranky at times and feel very bad about doing that to my children in Disney World of all places.

I knew it was really going to mess me up going there, but I really wanted to do it for my kids.

The pain right now is unbearable, but how can I complain when others can't ever go there!

Anyway, thanks for letting me join! Great Board!

2. teacher

teacher New Member

i went at christmas with my sister (we're 37 and 40). no children. i was in a flare the whole time we were there and my sister doesn't belive in cfs.

i was blessed in that i was born into a family that would rather walk and look than ride. i rode some of the kiddie rides but could only talk my sister into the pooh and the sleeping beauty.

we ususally quit about 3:00 and didn't start again until 5:00 and we were done at 9:00 on the latest evening.

two days in bed when i returned, but it was worth it. if you go again, pace yourself!

go draw a a warm bath and put some lovley smelly stuff in there if you can stand it. quiet music and lock the door for 30 minutes. rest and rest and rest.

hope you had fun!

welcome to the board.

teacher
  3. ilovepink4

ilovepink4 Member

we took our girls to disney world at ages 6 and 9...then we adopted our boys, as babies, i got sick, and it is time totake them to disney....they are 6 and 9, too...hopefully we will make the trip next year...have to save up...we live in minnesota...

i am scared of the pain and the misery if it gets horrible so far from home...i really hope to do this for the kids, though...so, i am proud of you for doing it...

this time, there will be 6 of us...our dd 's are 19 and 16 now...dd 19 is disabled and heavier this time...we will need to bring a personal attendant to help...and a wheelchair for me...so there will be 2 wheelchairs in the group...hey, the wheelchairs let you go to the front of the lines and theworkers are so sweet to children with disablities....also, we might take grandma and grandpa too...we will be quite the parade!!!!

tell us more about your days at the parks...how did you handle the whole thing?
  4. Juloo

Juloo Member

I was really worried about it, because the last two weekends have been completely awful. But I must have somehow managed to get lucky. We were at the park from 9:15 a.m. to 9:15 p.m. with an additional 45 minutes of driving at each end commuting to and from an in-law's house. I could barely get my shoes off, my feet were that swollen, and I slept really hard that night. Except for some stiffness the next day, I managed to survive until today -- my once-every-six-weeks massage. That helped get the rest of the knots out.

It's just so unfortunate that something that we look forward to for our children requires so much out of us other than *just* time and money. It's more than a 'pound of flesh'.
  5. BeBetterSoon

BeBetterSoon New Member

Thanks for the warm welcome to the board! I was feeling so bad today that I really needed some support. I'm glad I found this board.

Ilovepink - How did we do Disney World? Totally the wrong way! LOL

Our flight didn't get into Orlando until 2 a.m. Got to our hotel (off-site) at 3:30 a.m. Kids got up right away and were ready to open the park at 9:00 a.m. So, because they were so excited, I got up and went too! Then the park stayed open until midnight.

So we start our second day at the park again at 9:00 a.m. and didn't leave until closing at 10:00 p.m. By this time I was ready to Die!!!

Our third day, DH let me sleep in. He's so sweet! He took the kids to the park so they could be there by 9:00 a.m. by themselves while I slept. They are DS 16, DD 10 & DD 7. My 16 year old son can take care of his sisters real well.

Then DH have to leave the park, get on the tram to the parking lot and come back to the hotel to get me. But at least I got to sleep until 10:00 a.m. We did the same thing the next morning. That really helped me but we still stayed and closed the park each night.

So, what was really bad was closing the park the last night and having to get up at 2:30 a.m. to be at the Orlando Airport 2 hours before our flight home. Two hours of sleep with fibro just doesn't cut it!!

By the time we got home, I was really hurting. So here we are today, second day home and I am hurting real bad.

So the point of all of this is: Don't do what we did! Even if you are healthy, our schedule would have done you in!

Staying in a Disney resort would have been nice so DH wouldn't have had to take the rental car to get me but we saved a lot of $$$ by staying off-site.

DH is has the energy of 3 people. We got back home at noon after the 2 hour night of sleep and the flight home, and he went to work! And, since our room only had two full beds for four and we had five people, he slept on the floor all five nights!

Sorry so long. Next time we do Disney, which will be a long time from now (lol), we will definitely be there for more than four days so we may take the parks at a more leisurely pace!

Elizabeth
  6. BeBetterSoon

BeBetterSoon New Member

I agree about why does it have to be so hard for us to do something that we want our children to really enjoy. I really think that the worse part of the pain for me is how it affects my children. But I always say that I'd rather have it be me than them having this disease.

Elizabeth