New Here...Advice Anyone?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by waxdiva, Aug 28, 2006.

1. waxdiva

waxdiva New Member

I have been in denial re my FM and CFIDS for a long, long time. In the past four months, my symptoms have gotten worse. Severe pain all over...especially in arms and legs. I was in a car accident 22 years ago and because of the disappointment I experienced with the medical profession over the course of those years, I hate to go to any doctor.

I will briefly explain: I had facial pain and headaches (some developed into migraines that lastes for days) everyday. I went from doctor to doctor explaining what was happening. Their answer to me was either "that shouldn't be happening" or "that's unusual" or "see the surgeon who worked on you." I had six facial reconstruction surgeries; the last one 3 years ago. Last year I had sinus surgery. After the surgery, the doctor told me that my sinuses were worse than the CT scan showed; they were totally blocked, badly infected and it's no wonder I was in constant pain for so long as I was walking around with a low-grade infection everyday.

I am now fearful that I will get the same runaround with FM doctors. I went to my PCP two weeks ago for FM and a strange earache I've been having for at least two months. I thought she would look in my ear and give me eardrops. She did look in my ear, but gave me ibuprofin 800 and sent me to an ENT. The ENT in turn told me there is nothing wrong with my ear and sent me to a Neurologist for facial neuralgia! My appt w/ the Neuro is this afternoon. (Also, I told my doctor that the ibuprofin doesn't do anything; she told me to take tylenol with it!!)

I have an appt next week w/a Rheumatologist and I just hope that he can do something for me and not put me on the doctor merry-go-round. I don't know if he's any good or what he does for FM pts; I looked him up on a local hospital site.

Well, I have to get ready for my doctor's appt, so thanks for listening to my rant! I am hoping that this guy doesn't send me to anyone else. I only went for an earache and by the end of today will have seen three doctors for it!!! The merry-go-round is waiting...
  2. mlrarr

mlrarr New Member

Hello
    Glad to have you on board!! Although that means you have this dd sorry :(
    Everyone here is great. You will learn so much. Looking forward to getting to know you..
    Melinda from sunny hot Bakersifeld
  3. kaymac

kaymac New Member

Good luck with the ear and maybe it won't turn into more doctors.

It does seem sometimes that a few individuals have the "complicated" stuff and can't get an easy fix or diagnosis. I used to say my Mother was one of those people, she always had several different diagnosis and doctors and complicated rare conditions!

Don't let it affect your help with FM. You may indeed find that you have to see more than one doctor before you connect. Not every one of them are good in the field of FM. Don't give up tho!

kaymac
  4. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

Welcome. Boy you have had a time of it in the past, how brave you are.

I am afraid you may get the run around from doctors re FM/CFS but you may hit is lucky.

You will get lots of good advice and help here though.

Keep strong.

Love Anne Cromwell
  5. Adl123

Adl123 New Member

Hi,

The Dr. who diagnosed me, and who unerstood, and gave me a protocol that I have followed for 13 years, ws an M.D. with an emphasis in Homeopathic Medicine. Maybe this will help.

Good luck in your serch for a Dr..

Hugs,

Terry
  6. waxdiva

waxdiva New Member

I am not sure how this message board works, so I hope that everyone reads this.

Just want to thank everyone who wrote to me for being so kind.

And, I cannot believe this, but I have to go for an MRI on Thursday. The incredible earaches I've been having are not uncommon in a person with a history of migraine headaches.
  7. pam_d

pam_d New Member

Welcome to you!

I just wanted to add that I've been a migraine sufferer for years (I take Maxalt, which is like Imitrex) and I always have right-sided migraines...I have described them to my doctor as feeling like a stake had been driven through my right eye and was coming out my right ear. I have had extreme ear pain, with mine, also the feeling that my ear is very hot.

I have not had the car accident you've had either...I imagine that must compound the painful feeling in your face, ear, etc. Anyway, I certainly hope you find some relief for this! I wish you can find a doctor who truly understands WHY you are in such pain, can nail down the cause and what to do about it.

Hope you feel better---glad you found this site, there's a lot of great info to be learned here!

Hugs,
    Pam
  8. waxdiva

waxdiva New Member

Pam,

Thank you. At least I have found everyone here that has empathy and understanding about FM and a lot of other things!

I'm not one to complain or air my problems, but now I can as you all know what I'm talking about. I just could not take much more yesterday and had to vent a little!