New here and a question

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Nellie2, Mar 14, 2003.

1. Nellie2

Nellie2 New Member

Hello, my name is Kathleen and I have Fibromyalgia. I have been visiting this site quite frequently but haven't posted before. I currently am taking the following meds: Celebrex 400mg, Nexium 40mg, Flexeril 30mg a day, Guafinesen 1200 mg, Restoril 10mg, and have the Duragesic patch. I also take a Multivatin, Magnesium 250mg a day, and Calcium 3600 mg a day. My questions is has anyone been diagnosed with Essential Tremors? I have tremors on my face - lips and cheeks and the doctor has me taking 1200 mg of Calcium 3 times a day for that. But my right hand shakes uncontrollably when I try to use it and he's sending me to the Neurologist on the 25th. I'm just curious if anyone else is dealing with this. Thanks!
  2. teawah

teawah New Member

Welcome! I can't really help you on your question as I am not on meds at this time and I don't have the tremor problems as you describe but I just thought that I would ask you if the doc has you eating before taking the vits and such. I ask because I learned that if you don't eat before taking supplements they will flush out without absorbing. To get the best result from taking that much calcium you should make sure that you take the most pure form you can get and eat before hand. Also I recently learned about taking my calcium in powder form. I take a calcium/magnesium effervesant mixed with filterred water. I don't know if any of this helps you but I thought I would share my experience with you and welcome you.
    teawah
  3. teawah

teawah New Member

for Kathleen
  4. Nellie2

Nellie2 New Member

Thanks for the info Teawah. I did not know that Calcium came in a powder form. It does sound like it would be absorbed easier.

The tremors in my right hand happen no matter what I'm doing. I have had a very slight tremor for several years. It has jut gotten to the point where even pouring a glass of water from a pitcher is difficult. I think I will make a little journal that details when my tremors are the most significant and see if there is a pattern.

I hope to get to know you better.
  5. layinglow

layinglow New Member

Hi--I have Fms and Cfids...and have experienced the same tremors and also twitching in my face, arms, hands, and legs. I had episodes of jerking as well, my head, limbs, and trunk involvement, too. This has been resolved for me with a daily, small dose of klonopin. Many experts believe that FMS suffers are having "mini seizure activity". This seemed to be so in my case, as the antiseizure med, has brought it under control.
    Best Wishes, LL
  6. Nellie2

Nellie2 New Member

Thanks LL. I feel better knowing someone else has had the same experience. I'm hoping the Dr. will not find anything else except simple tremors. I had not ever heard of that before this week.

Its nice to know all of us FM people can provide each other answers.

Kathleen
  7. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Hi Nellie, welcome to the board. I didn't have tremors, but I was dropping things, and had problems with jerking of my legs at night.

I started magnesium (Pro Energy 'Malic Acid and Magnesium Glycinate') about two years ago. It did help a great deal.

Then I started taking ZMA (zinc, mangnesium and vitamin B-6), a year ago, I have not had anymore problems with the jerking legs, or the dropping things since. The ZMA is also wonderful for deep sleep.

I eat/drink a lot of dairy products, so I don't take a calcium supplement at this time.

But it is a good idea to take your calcium separate from the magnesium. There are two schools of thought on this one, and I think that taking them separate is the best (my opinion!).

Again, welcome to the board, and will be looking forward to knowing you better.

Shalom, Shirl