New Here! and Doctor Woes

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by webkook, Oct 24, 2002.

1. webkook

webkook New Member

Hi Everybody,

Yeah, I'm new here - wonderful site, lots of helpful info!

I do need some advice. I have been bouncing from doctor to doctor, for years now - the main reason is that none of them has been willing to look at *all* of my symptoms. Well, two of the doctors confirmed fibromyalgia and began treatment with me, but both have since left the area and their replacements are both of the "it's all in your head" camp. I can't stand it anymore, but I can't find a doctor in my area - that I can actually get to, that is - who is open to treating me for fibromyalgia and related problems. It's just so annoying and top it off with the fact that I am on meds for dangerously high blood pressure and it's a big soupy mess.

Anyway, I have to see doctors that are health plan participants, and they have to be local - within 15 miles or so of where I live due to very limited transportation. I saw the good doctors list and all of them are an hour or more away from me. How can I find a decent doctor - s/he can be a GP even as long as they are willing to deal with FMS as a real condition and be willing to work with me? This hit-or-miss routine has been going on for 10 years now and while I was diagnosed last summer with FMS, my former doctor and I figured out that I've probably had the condition for several years and the other doctors just treated individual symptoms instead of looking at the whole picture.

Any ideas? And nice to meet y'all. :)

Lynn
  2. webkook

webkook New Member

Hi Everybody,

Yeah, I'm new here - wonderful site, lots of helpful info!

I do need some advice. I have been bouncing from doctor to doctor, for years now - the main reason is that none of them has been willing to look at *all* of my symptoms. Well, two of the doctors confirmed fibromyalgia and began treatment with me, but both have since left the area and their replacements are both of the "it's all in your head" camp. I can't stand it anymore, but I can't find a doctor in my area - that I can actually get to, that is - who is open to treating me for fibromyalgia and related problems. It's just so annoying and top it off with the fact that I am on meds for dangerously high blood pressure and it's a big soupy mess.

Anyway, I have to see doctors that are health plan participants, and they have to be local - within 15 miles or so of where I live due to very limited transportation. I saw the good doctors list and all of them are an hour or more away from me. How can I find a decent doctor - s/he can be a GP even as long as they are willing to deal with FMS as a real condition and be willing to work with me? This hit-or-miss routine has been going on for 10 years now and while I was diagnosed last summer with FMS, my former doctor and I figured out that I've probably had the condition for several years and the other doctors just treated individual symptoms instead of looking at the whole picture.

Any ideas? And nice to meet y'all. :)

Lynn
  3. karen2002

karen2002 New Member

Hi--I understand your dilema. I live in a very small town, with a handful of physicians. I have been to each and every one. I was forced to go out of town, because nothing was available close to my home, except skeptics. I now drive 2 hrs. both way--to see a doctor I found on the good doctors list. I should say, "I ride". It is worth the hassle of finding transportation so that one can find, first a doctor who believes in FM/CFS, and secondly, one who will treat my other medical problems. I have high blood pressure, like you, and a mass on my left kidney, and another in my abdomen. The four hours spent on the road is well worth it, though, as this Doctor is treating me as a whole. Many times transportation help is available through the Dept. of Human Services...(at least it is here). I harness friends and family, to take me. Best Wishes,
    Karen
  4. webkook

webkook New Member

Hi Karen,

Thanks for the info - it's not easy with doctors, is it? :) My first attempt will be to get through to my current doctor - at least get him to recognize that yes, I am dealing with something other than "just being depressed" (LOL he'll end up making me depressed if he keeps brushing off the fact that I have FMS). And I'll keep looking for another doctor around here for a while, or ask my current doctor to refer me to someone if it comes down to him just not wanting to deal with me. Maybe I can get someone to pick me up at my house and get me where I need to go as a last resort.

The whole situation with the blood pressure complicated the FMS, too - I'm on my third medication now because I had bad reactions to the first two, which of course set the FMS into overdrive.

I'll check and see if there is any county/state transport I can use - hadn't thought of that! So thanks! :)

Lynn

5. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Hi Lynn, welcome to the board. I am so sorry you are having doctor problems, but that is so common with these illnesses.

If you want to put the city you are in on the board, maybe someone here can recommend a doctor for you since there is none close from the good doctors list.

Lots of people here find a doctor this way also.

Again, welcome to the group.

Shalom, Shirl