New here and have a question

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by DonnaG, Apr 27, 2003.

1. DonnaG

DonnaG New Member

Hi all,

I've been lurking for about a week and have learned alot from you all. I've been ill for the past 6 years, and finally found a Dr. I had her for about 1 1/2 and then she decided to leave her practice and since then I found another, but still not sure of him.(I've only been to him once) At any rate I didn't realize that HHV played such a role in CFS/FM. Does anyone have HPV?(Human Papilloma Virus) I have had this for 10 years, but my paps have come back clean for the past 4 years. Ok call me crazy, but I never dicussed this with my Dr.I'm going to see him on the 7th and I will discuss this. Any information you can give me on this will be very much appreciated!!

Thanks,
    Donna
  2. klutzo

klutzo New Member

I am also an HPV carrier and know of no relation between that and FMS. I've had FMS for almost 18 yrs.and read and study all the research I can get my hands on. HPV is not at all the same thing as HHV6, the virus sometimes thought to play a part in CFS. They are not even in the same family, with HHV6 being a herpes virus, and HVP being a condylomatous virus (wart-type).
    However, if you have HPV, you will be more prone to Vulvar Vestibulitis (VV), a usually rare condition, which is unfortunately not all that rare in FMS patients. It involves a bright red ring around the rim of the vulva and awful pain at the beginning of intercourse and afterwards too sometimes. In some women it can progress to make walking or sitting painful.
    I have VV, and it has put an end to my sex life. It is extraordinarily painful, and the remedies that docs try are often even worse than the VV.
    I pray you will not develop it. Remember it is rare. In ten yrs. of running an FMS support group, I only met two other confirmed cases of it, and only a couple of others with the symptoms.
    KLutzo
  3. DonnaG

DonnaG New Member

Klutzo, Thanks for the information. I've had no experience with VV thank goodness. I was kinda hoping there was a connection with HPV and FMS, at least there would be something to go on.Oh well wishful thinking.

Janet, I can't believe you have tender fingernails. Isn't it the weirdest thing!?!?!It's not all the time with me, but I thought it was just me.LOL

Thanks,
    Donna
  4. truthseeker67

truthseeker67 New Member

I too, have been wondering about such connections to FM/CFS. I have had herpes (cold sores) since I was about 3 years old and in my mid 20s I was told I have HPV. I figure these are different viruses that must be weakening the autoimmune system somehow, right?

This is something I need to continue to research. I would be interested to know if this applies to the majority of those with FM/CFS?

Also, I wonder if herpes preventitives would help with our FM/CFS symptoms?

Blessings,
    Truth
    [This Message was Edited on 04/28/2003]
  5. klutzo

klutzo New Member

From your lips to God's ears.....please make me well enough to go to medical school! I don't think they'd even admit an old lady like me (just turned 52), but one can dream. Sigh.
    Klutzo

[ advertisement ]