New Here and I have alot to learn

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Takesha, Apr 29, 2003.

1. Takesha

Takesha New Member

Hi Everyone, I am the one of the new kids....so what if I'm 49.
    I have just been diagnosed with FM but I have been struggling with the pain and fatigue for over a year. I have been reading some of the posts and am overwhelmed. I have a couple of questions that I hope someone can answer.
    I started out with leg jerks and spams about 2 years ago or more and the dr. has given me Amitriptline for that. It has helped alot and at least I sleep better on most nights.The problem is I can't tolerate a solid surface and am using a army cot right now. I'm looking for a mattress or foam cover and see alot of stuff advertised. Does anyone use anything like this and have a suggestion? Secondly, all of my joints are grinding and the dr. just gave me tests for arthritis, is burning grinding joints part of FM also? The Dr. gave me celebrex and it helps some, especially the first few times I took it. I was just reading some posts and wondered if I might need something differnt. Any info anyone would like to share would be helpful. Thank you
    Takesha
  2. gottalottalove

gottalottalove New Member

Takesha, I wanted to "bump" your message back to the top. Sometimes the board goes so fast that your message gets shoved to the side. I cant answere your questions but know that there are several educated and experienced people on the boards. Please dont be shy about posting new topics. (I know sometimes I cant take the rejection if someone doesnt help, but dont take it personnally! LOL!!!

I have found a lot of info on supplements Magnesium, Calcium etc. from this sight and they make me feel alot better during the day. Im now a well oiled machine (not really, but it has helped***) Sometimes you can find the info your looking for by going to the top of the page and plugging it into the search message bar. This oftem makes me dizzy, and wares my eyes out, so if you are having a hard time navigating, just post a new question.

Good Luck and I hope this helps..... Tina
  3. Takesha

Takesha New Member

Thank you for the response Tina, I do have some calcium but stopped taking it because it upset my stomach. Maybe I should give it another try. Your absolutely right, this is a busy place! Thanks again.
    Takesha
  4. Tibbiecow

Tibbiecow New Member

It sounds like you have Restless Leg Syndrome. I recently read in a very good book which you ought to check out from the library or buy written by Devin Starlanyl called Fibromyalgia and Chronic Myofascial Pain. Take it with you to your doctor's appointment; it states that Elavil (amitriptyline) can CAUSE Restless Leg Syndrome. Two good medications for sleep and RLS are Klonopin and Neurontin. Neurontin helps some people a bunch and others not at all. I take both and it's the magic combination for me. Neurontin works to reduce the pain threshold. Klonipin works to help with sleep.
    Look up klonipin under drugs on this site, and neurontin as well.
    Lots of doctors just prescribe elavil for fibro because that is what they have been trained to do. There are MUCH more effective treatments now. Also consider another doctor if this one is reluctant to help you with sleep and pain issues.
    Good luck!
    Tibbie
  5. Takesha

Takesha New Member

Hi Tibbie, Thank you for the info.
    In 1996 I fell at work and totally messed up my left wrist, arm and neck. They gave me a disability for that. The Dr. treating me then (employee health) gave me the Anitriptyline and shortly there after I had an appt. for a sleep study. The sleep study doc said the same thing you just said. However, I haven't taken it in many years until now and the leg jerks developed into jerking movement of arms and sometimes my full body recently. I will get the book however and talk to my doctor about it. I am fortunate that I trust my PC. I worked in the hospital for 7 years before I had to stop with the other disability problem. He knows me as a "real go getter," and I think knowing me personally as a "human being" helped with his diagnoses. He always asks me what I think and actually listens. So I'll ask him about the drugs. Thanks again.
    Takesha
  6. layinglow

layinglow New Member

Welcome to the Board!
    I have problems with my joints really hurting---especially my knees, but have no indication of inflammation, so in myself it is just FM.

Celebrex is a great med for arthritis--my sister swears by it.

Just wanted to pop in and say hello!

Best wishes, LL
  7. Takesha

Takesha New Member

I was wondering, do your joints also pop and grind? I could do the "snap, crackle, pop commercial for Rice Crispys solo! It just seems that one day I heard my shoulder pop and a week later they are all grinding and popping and burning. I thought that this developed a little fast for arthritis. I sure have alot to learn about FM!
    Thank you again for writing.
    Takesha
  8. jka

jka New Member

i sleep on a feather & down bed pads.it has made the bed soft enough for me to sleep.what i really would like to get is one of the beds that has water chambers& pillow tops on them. i laid on one at the mall & it was like laying on a cloud!i'm saving up for one now. the twin size is $600.i also take a bath with 3 cups epson salt & peroxide every night just before i go to bed. it has really helped the pain and makes me fall right to sleep.since i've been doing that, i haven't had to take a pain pill at night.
    best of luck.

kathy c
    [This Message was Edited on 04/29/2003]
  9. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

It's a Soma waterbed with 10 tubes (king size) filled with water. The cover is foam. There is no need for a heater and it uses standard king size sheets. I loooooove my bed. I usually never move from the same position all night long because there are no pressure points on my body.

I have slept on feather bed pads on regular beds and they are quite good too.

It's going to be time to replace the waterbed soon and I'm unsure whether to buy a foam bed, air matress, or another Soma bed.

Love, Mikie
  10. Takesha

Takesha New Member

I'm glad you brought up the subject of water beds.
    Interesting enough I used a water bed for many years and shortly after I got rid of it (because of my husbands back) my pain increased and spread. I believe that the heat and "softness" of the water bed kept alot of symptoms at bay. I really want my waterbed back but I need to find a compromise with my husband back problems. My waterbed was an old one and it shifted and sloshed alot. How does the tube type work? I am really intrested because we plan on buying a bed sometime in June and there isn't much we both can sleep on. Thanks for you imput Mikie