New here and need some advice!

Discussion in 'General Health & Wellness' started by nila87, Nov 27, 2012.

1. nila87

nila87 New Member

Hello all...I came across this site while searching some of my symptoms. This is going to be a rather long post so please bare with me.

Since I was a child I have had pain. Everything from severe migraines to shoulder pain and then I was diagnosed with TMJS as well. Growing up I told my family about my pain and there was always a response of me not being OLD enough to have pain and I was told that I was exaggerating about what I was feeling. Although, I never was lying about it, ever, I was in pain. I started taking ibuprofen when I was old enough to open the bottle myself and get what I needed, now this medication does nothing for me. As I have grown up I have had weight problems even though I was fairly active in middle school I never lost weight. I still had pain and headaches and I also began having issues with depression and anxiety in my teenage years. No matter who I told or what I said, no one believed my pain and I never went to the doctor for it. I just learned to live with the pain and assumed that is how it was suppose to be. I am 25 now and a full time therapeutic massage student. It is hard work and I need my body to do my job and I need to not be in pain. Lately, within the past 4-5 years I have gained new symptoms that was always only related to my weight by my family doctor. I can never get up in the morning because I feel exhausted, its a struggle, and then I and sore and tensed. I have some really odd hot flashes to where I cant even be touched because of my sensitivity to heat. Also I cannot go outside without sunglasses because the light gives me headaches. I have pain that shoots all in my neck, both sides, I have severe pain in my lower back and right hip, and throughout my experience getting massage I have found more places in my body that are just painful. I have also been getting numbness in my extremities.

I have not had a steady job because of my issues, especially my depression and anxiety. I would always feel tired and would oversleep or call out of work, I was so exhausted and it would make me cry because I do not know why. It was always 'you are overweight'. Although my weight is not where it should be, I do not believe my pain is a result of that, I believe its the opposite. I think I have been in such pain my entire life that I have no had the ability to lose it. I eat healthy, when I can without getting nauseous afterwards and I have tried diet and exercise. So. Much. Pain.

My reason for explaining all of this is I am hoping to get more insight from sufferers of FM. Can you relate? I have never been diagnosed and have not been to a doctor in many years because I have no money or insurance, so I just live with it, painfully every day not knowing.... I need help. I feel like my body has given up on me. I want to work, I do not want to be labeled as disabled because of my pain nor do I want to be on medication because my father is addicted to pain meds for all his ailments. I do however want to be able to get some kind of treatment and maybe some temporary disability to help me afford going to doctors and getting some kind of control over my body again. I just feel like if I go in somewhere and say I think I have FM that it will be another 'you need to lose weight' things and I don't know how much of that I can handle.

Advice anyone? Thank you for your time!
  2. freida

freida Active Member

Welcome to this board, NIla.

If you don't get many answers here, you could copy and post your writing on the board on this site, that is called CFS/Fibromyalgia.
    You don't have to definitely have fibro or any specific illness to post there.
    People talk about many different illness-related topics there, as well, as this board.

There just are often more people who read and answer posts over there.

Besides all of that...
    I am so sorry for all that you have been through...as a child and now as an adult too!
    I beleive you and agree, that your pain is real, and that all of it is NOT from the weight, and might very likely be at least partly the other way around.

Even though we all know that extra weight makes things worse, there are many reasons for weight, that are difficult to address, not as simple as shows make it sound.
    And there are many health problems that cause weight problems, too, not just the rsults.

I do wish you could find some other medical help.
    I hear you about the money and insurance, etc.

And that you need help. Yes, you do deserve more help, and you are doing well not to go the route your father did. And not to believe everything that people assume about you. You know what your body and your life have been like. You know better than what people assume when they look at you or spend little time truly listening.

I don't know what to suggest, but I do understand all of what you wrote.
    Looking for ways to afford or find other help, is the best approach, I agree, you seem to be thinking well about your situation.
    You will not be able to just push your body through that training and job. You'll need to find some ways to address your symptoms and the reasons for them, if you possibly can.
    The numbness in extremeties is a significant one to me, I wish a good dr or neuro dr could check that out.

Not much advice, but I did take the time, to listen and to care.
    Take good care of yourself, and update us, when you want to, or ask /post any questions.....on this or the other board.

Leah
    [This Message was Edited on 11/27/2012]
  3. jaminhealth

jaminhealth Well-Known Member

life of pain.

Many need thryoid support and don't get it....sluggish thyroid can cause more pain thru the body. Depression too. for that matter there are 69 some symptoms of sluggish thyroid.

Grapeseed Extract is a powerful antioxidant that I've taken now for 17 years and it supports the whole immune system. I got rid of allergies and sinus and headaches totally.

Low Vit D can be an issue.

I wasn't "hit" with the Fibro until I was 61, but have dealt with arthritis since as early as 18.....I'm 74 now and live with pain but manage it as best I can.

You are very young....jam

Believe it or NOT, people committed to Meditation can control a lot of their pain....it takes commitment,,,silent meditation and visualizing the pain leaving one's body, works....

AND

Acupuncture can work on controling pain, so if you have access to acupuncture that helps too.

But finding out where the pain is coming from is key. MANY many deal with pain all their lives....but it can be controlled and naturally too.[This Message was Edited on 11/27/2012]
  4. nila87

nila87 New Member

Thank both of you for your responses! I am happy to have some support in this matter!!! I really hope I can figure out a way to get some much needed help and will be using this site for support and advice! Thank you for caring and understanding it means very much to me!
  5. jaminhealth

jaminhealth Well-Known Member

and check out all the boards...lots of good information shared by many. jam
  6. freida

freida Active Member

I agree with you , Nila, and with Jam...
    stick around, it's good to get support and ideas, around here.
    And it's very good for us, to read your response and get some feedback from you, too, so thanks for writing us, again!

Hope to see you. :)
    ON any of our boards.
    Chit chat board is friendly place too....to share, vent, find understanding for how many of us have to live, and distraction, and to be and feel, less alone.

Leah