New here and questions regarding neck pain

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by patty818, May 29, 2003.

1. patty818

patty818 New Member

Hi

I was dx'd with fms about 3 years ago, then they found I also was hypothyriod which can contribute highly to fms. Upon starting meds for the thyriod to pain has subside emensly, except for the costochondritis and neck pain. I have alot of the chest and rib pain that leads into my left arm. But my worse pain is the neck and upper shoulder and the upper spine. I get this alot and it causes headaches and dizzy. I was wondering if any of you have this and what you do to help it.

THanks for listening and any help you have.
    Patty
  2. Dorothy45

Dorothy45 New Member

I went to the doctor a year ago for neck pain and numbnes in my right arm. He told me had a herniated disc. After that, my psychiatrist said he thought had fm. Went to docotr several weeks ago, and she said she didn't think I had a herniated disc, and I didn't have fm. I asked her why I have so many physical problems. Nothing that keeps me from working, but overall flu-like feeling. Good luck! I will say one more thing. My neck doesn't hurt as bad as it use too. I don't know if it is a coencidence or what, but I started feeling better when I started taking herbal remedies for candida.
  3. AnnG

AnnG New Member

can really get into a vicious circle of pain. I had this and nothing seemed to help. I thought I would have to deal with it the rest of my life. I finally went to see an osteopath that specialized in the neck area and he prescribed physical therapy and cervical shots (2). I think the things I learned in physical therapy helped the most. Now, when the pain comes back I can do my exercises and it is gone in days. Hope this helps! Love, Ann
  4. Pinky

Pinky New Member

The pain I experience in my neck goes up the back of my head, also. I get pain in my shoulders as well as my lower back. I was dx'd with FM/CFS about 3 years ago and my rheumatologist has me on Ultram for the neck pain as well as the chest and rib pain. I have recently went to a neurologist and had an MRI of the brain and the neck area- I also get very dizzy and hear cracking sounds whenever i move my head. I am going for an EEG next week as well as an EMG/NCV (an electromyography & a nerve conduction velocity test)She has also done an enormous amount of blood work including thyroid testing.
    Please keep me in mind when you find anything that works for the neck and head pain.
    Thanx
    Debbie
    [This Message was Edited on 05/29/2003]
  5. jka

jka New Member

i also have neck and back pain.i use to get headaches from my neck.i go to get a massage once a week and have just started going to a chiroprator.he does ajustments twice a week and a ten unit on tender points.since going in for massages, i've had very few headaches.i don't know how much good the chiro is doing yet.

kathy c
  6. stillfighting

stillfighting New Member

Hi Patti! I've been dealing with FM for at least 15 years, and have been hypothyroid for about 10. My experience with this is nothing is constant except for neck pain in the background. The thyroid medication probably made you feel better in general, which always helps you deal with background pain better.

My advice is to work with your doctor until you find something that works. I had great relief from the tricyclics and effexor (not at the same time) over the course of 7 years. This last year has put me in a tailspin, but I convinced my doctor to try something else. The jury is still out as to whether it's working, but I'm sleeping better and that goes a long way in helping me cope with pain and reduce cognitive problems.

If your doc won't work with you, find another--you MUST be your own advocate. Read the research articles and bring some which are especially good with you to discuss with your doctor.

These boards are great too--they helped get me out of a deep funk and into action. Good luck in your journey and in successfully battling this DD!

LoL,
    Hilary
  7. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Hi Patty, welcome to our world. I also have that pain you described.

Since I have been taking Malic Acid and Magnesium (Pro Energy), it has been less frequent. You might want to ask your doctor.

For some help to relieve it, take a mans tube sock, fill it three quarters full of raw rice, tie the end.

You can put this in the microwave for heat, or in the freezer for cold. It will lay around your neck like a good kitten!

As for the costochondritis, I take low dose Xanax (0.25 mgs) along with an OTC Advil gel cap. Wrap a heating pad around my rib cage and its a great help.

Sure hope you find what works for you soon. That pain is so miserable.

I do not have a thyroid problem, but a lot of others here do.

Again, welcome and hope we hear from you often.

Shalom, Shirl
  8. Elbryan

Elbryan New Member

I started doing aquatic workouts and this has helped my neck out very much. It has eased my headaches as well. Give it a try or ask your DR about it.
  9. starstella

starstella New Member

I have a lot of neck pain problems. Phyical therapy has been the best treatment because I have so many tender areas in the neck and shoulders.

Be careful of how you use pillows at night. You don't want to scrunch your shoulder by lying on one low pillow, or have your head tilted too much by high pillows. My PT says two regular sized pillows are appropriate.

Gentle stretching of the neck muscles by tilting your head to the side at various angles is also helpful.

If you can buy the book by Clair Davies, "the trigger point therapy workbook", you will learn a lot about specific areas (trigger points) in the neck and shoulders that cause headache pain. I have lots of trigger points throughout my body so that book is like a bible to me to help me understand why different pains are occurring.

Welcome to the board. You will get a lot of support here.