New here and totally alien to the experience

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Belinha, Sep 1, 2008.

1. Belinha

Belinha New Member

You can find my main question, under I also saw Dr. Salvato on 8-31-2008. I am new to the site and right now feeling totally in denial that something is that wrong with me. Enough I say! But the news is not encouraging from what I see in these boards. I keep promising myself I will get up tomorrow and then start life fresh, all over. :=(

2. lvjesus

lvjesus Member

Here is how it works for me and maybe this will help you. When I first got sick and found out the cause (fibro) I read everything I could compulsively, including this board. On the bright side, most of what I have found to help my symptoms have come from here because you are dealing with real people who have the same issues you do and have been through the trial and error of different treatments and can help you by sharing their experiences.

I and a year and a half of remission and then the FM came back. At that time I came back to the board more frequently than I had been during the remission period. Here is the down side. As I read different things, including the "sticky" post at the top about the bad things about fibro I became very depressed about it and realized I had to stop reading the "bad news". Now much of this had to do with my state of mind at the time. I was already very unhappy to acknowledge that the fibro was back, so anything negative that I was reading really only added to my unhappiness.

I would advise this: google fibromyalgia, if you haven't already, and learn all you can about the symptoms and treatments. You will learn more about treatments here, I think. Post any questions you have about this dd because you have a wealth of help at your fingertips here. As you are reading, if at any time you start to feel sadder or more hopeless, anything extremely negative as you are reading a post, just stop. It is never a good idea to wallow in sorrow or to worry excessively. I worried a lot about becoming disabled as I read about people who were, but you just have to take one day at a time. The Bible says that each day has enough trouble of it's own. So don't borrow any.

God Bless,
  3. lynnilla

lynnilla New Member

Hi Belinha,
    I totally see what you are saying. I have been in pain for about a year now. I am not usually one to admit I have a problem either and not really sure what it was. I go through bouts of anxiety/depression, muscle pain that is terrible, and can't focus worth a crap at times. People that know me know that something is wrong, but I feel like if I could just get my sh*t together I would be fine. I came across this board after the doc put me on Cymbalta last week and a couple of other things since he said I was showing signs of FM. After reading alot of the posts I began thinking "oh my god, that's ME" I wake up everyday with a postitive outlook and hopes that TODAY I will be ok. I am trying to change my attitude and gain as much info that I can so that I may speak with him further when I go back to see him in a month. There are alot of great people on here from what I have seen. Hang in there sweetie!
    [This Message was Edited on 09/02/2008]
  4. binxi

binxi New Member

people do get better. they don't post here because they are out enjoying themselves.
    there are people on this board that have been sick for 10 or 20 years, but i have "only" been sick for about 10 months and feel myself improving. the last 3 or 4 months there have been times when i've nearly felt like my old self.
    so don't stress- it will only make you sicker!