New here and ????

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by broark, May 14, 2009.

1. broark

broark New Member

Hello, my name is Becky. I'm a 33 year old wife and mother to a 4 year old little girl that thinks she's 15. I live in Orange County, CA.

Two years ago I was hosptalized with meningitis. That same visit I was also overdosed with morphine and the fentenyl patch. I was in a coma for 5 days. My husband and parents were told that they didn't think I was going to make it. Thank God I did. Ever since though I haven't felt right at all. Flare ups of flu like symptoms (flu aches and pains times 100). Low grade fevers and exhuastion. I went to many doctors and had many tests done. I found out I have Psuedotumor Cerebri and now see a nuerologist regularly. When I was diagnosed with that it's like my doctors stopped looking to see what was causing the pain and exhaustion. Well finally Monday I saw my rhuematologist and he diagnosed me with FM and prescribed Lyrica. I'm hoping the Lyrica helps. I've been going through a flare up for the past couple of months and this week has been horrible. Darvocet has been my best friend. I used to take motrin like candy but that has stopped working. At this point I am considering Medicinal Marajuana. Since here in Cali it's legal and in the research I've done it's supposed to work with pain receptors and "calm" them down if you will. I can't live feeling like this. I'm so angry. It's not fair. I was healthy 2 years ago. I'm the sole supporter of my family. I have to work full time so we can have insurance but every morning I feel so bad it's so hard to get up. My husband is a type 1 diabetic and now considered disabled because of kidney issues.

How do you do it?
  2. ANGELEO728

ANGELEO728 New Member

that you have had it so rough. It's not easy living day in and day out with this disease! It wears on you mentally and physically and emotionally. I don't know that I would recommend the medical marijuana. I tried that myself and actually it made my pain worsen. It seemed to intensify feeling, especially in my legs and feet! You may have a different experience though.

Having small children that are very independent thinkers can make it hard too. I am 35 and have a 3 year old son who thinks he is the boss most of the time. Very strong minded and stubborn to boot! Love that lil man though! Sometimes he is the only reason I don't give it all up.

Working full time is not easy! I do that too. I am the sole insurance provider also. My fiance' is self employed and in this economy that is scary.

I just wanted to let you know that you are not alone and there are many great people on this board that you can vent to and are full of great advice!!!

At any rate.... I hope you feel better soon and please don't give up! You don't want to miss that pretty lil girl growing up and making you a proud mommy!!

3. AdirondackScarlet

AdirondackScarlet New Member

Smoke weed, I have been prescribed med free for over 3 years now.
    I started feeling like I was going ' toxic' being poisoned by the meds.
    I feel so much better now, whew- such a relief.
    Ginger baths also help ,I buy ita farmers markets and produce dept.
    about 1-2" sliced as thin as tomatoes for sandwiches.
    Put in saucepan with about 2c. water , bring to rolling boil, turn off heat, cover & allow to cool awhile. Put about a cup in warm bath, save the rest for other baths or sip the tea after straining the liquid.
    It will make you sweat, helps rid of toxins and lactic acids that build up and make us hurt worse.After you may feel refreshed or nappy, take advantage of that, cuz it makes ya sweat----bundle up so no chills.
    Hope this helps, hun.
    Never feel ashamed about usung weed to help, nature made it- it's not a manufactured chemical.
    Have a wonderful afternoon.
  4. FMsaddenedspirit

FMsaddenedspirit New Member

So sorry you are having to go through this also....
    this Darn D is so hard, I could not emagine having small children with this DD

I have to give your Kudo's for doing what you are.... children are so special... I have a doughter but she is 19 and my granddaughter is 8 months. walking now.. they live out of state now . but will be back hopefully in the next year or so.

Anyway .. just wanted to say hi and welcome you to the board.

I'm working so can't stay on .. talk to you all later .

5. debilyn

debilyn New Member

I live in Lake Forest, CA. We're neighbors. I am just starting my second week of Lyrica, so far it hasn't done much for me. I don't have any answers really, just want to say hi. I was diagnosed two years ago with FM.

It sucks that you're going through so much; I've found a lot of comfort reading this board.

6. faithinlove

faithinlove New Member

I am so sorry you are experiencing the pain of this DD. I know some of the suggestions on this board have helped me and I am going to continue to look for more advice here.
    I have taken Lyrica and it did not help me but everybody react in different ways to meds.
    I also feel like I have the flu but about 1000 times more pain. I take 2 Darvocet a day and I do not know what I would do without it.
    I have seen that medical marijuana does help a lot of people but I live in Texas and that is a no no here. I think if it was legal I am getting to the point where I might try it though.
    I also am anxiously awaiting to see how the new drug Savella is going to work for us.
    I thank God I have found this sight and know that all here seem so very geniune and understand what we go through and will help and even just let us vent when we need to
    God bless and ((hugs))
    keeping the "Faith" for a better day.
  7. quanked

quanked Member

I just put one foot in front of the other on my "good days" and somedays I do not use my feet much : )

I do not work, I would not last but a couple of hours if that. And the chaos I could cause in my brain fog might entertain others but enrage some.

Finding this message board has been one of the best things to happen to me since these dd's appeared. It helps keep me sane, it keeps me going and helps me feel understood insofar as these dd's go. I cannot imagine life without it. There is much comfort to be found here.

You have found one more thing--this board--that is going to help you get through your days, weeks, months and years. Glad you are here.
  8. broark

broark New Member

everyone for the welcome! I certainly appreciate it and am so thankful I found this board. I've got so many thoughts and emotions going on in my head right now. I'm looking forward to getting to know everyone!

:) Becky
  9. AdirondackScarlet

AdirondackScarlet New Member

I live in UPSTATE NY it is illegal here, I don't care it helps. The Gov. has a problem with it, not me....I'm over 21, it is MY life, they can stick their stupid misdemeanor law in the trash...
    It helps me, period.
    Nice to see you,
  10. Nanie46

Nanie46 Moderator

Hi and welcome!

Since fibromyalgia is just a set of symptoms given a new name...and patients are told there is no known is up to us to find the cause of our illness, so we can have the hope of recovery.

Everything has a cause and Dr's just don't want to look for it.

It is likely that the cause of most cases of fibro or chronic fatigue syndrome is infectious.

You should consider a couple things as possible causes of your illness...

One possibility is a chronic borrelia burgdorferi infection (a bacterial infection cause by a tick bite (lyme disease).

I am glad I did not depend on any Dr's to figure it out. I did my own research.

After 21 years with a fibro diagnosis, I discovered the cause of my symptoms was the bacteria that causes lyme. I also have a common tick borne coinfection, bartonella. There are other common coinfections like babesia and ehrlichia.

Here is some good info you can read. Both have great symptom lists. If you have numerous symptoms, be suspicious........

Another possibility is chronic viral infections.

We have to be our own best advocate because no one else will.

I hope you get some answers and feel better.

11. butterflydream

butterflydream New Member

Since the medicinal marijuana is legal in your state, a prescription may help you.
    i think their are 13 states that now have this legal for medical purposes of chronic pain.
    It looks like you've tried numerous meds and not all have worked the same for you, maybe the marijuana would be helpful.

Hope you can get some relief.

wish you well