NEW HERE...can you help?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by barb55, May 29, 2003.

1. barb55

barb55 New Member

I am new here and not sure if I do have fibromyalgia but so many things just fit what doctors can't seem to fit together for me.

Can I ask what type of doctor made the diagnosis for you and can you share with me some of the symptoms you had and what you went thru before you found out that you had fibromyalgia?
  2. garyandkim

garyandkim New Member

listing. We found our Infectious Disease, FMS/CFS doc there. Symtoms are so numerous and everone has differnt combos. If you use the search function you will get lots of symtom lists some are differnt then others. We have well over 40 each.

Went through Hell, for decades trying to find out what was going on. But, today it should be eaiser to find a doc to Dx you. Write down every symtom you have and keep copies of all your reports and tests. You can post where you live and ask if anyone sees a doc near you to.

Don't give up till you get a doc to find out what is going on with you.

You will find that this site has it all and the research is so great.

Good luck and Welcome, Kim and Gary
  3. lassiecass

lassiecass New Member

Hello Barb,
    I want to welcome you to our board. There are many people here who have done loads of research on CFS and Fibro. They are always willing to help and answer questions you may have, and they are very nice people too.
    In response to your quarry. I was diagnosed by a Rhumetoligist (Sorry my speller is broken tonight). My symptoms were loss of sleep and pain in the hands,legs and migraines. Thoughout the body there are specific areas that the Dr.s press to see the pain reaction, I had pain in almost every spot. Each person has their own set of symptoms but many of us have pain in common with each other.
    The best thing you can do for yourself is read the articles in the library here and become familiar with Fibro, CFS etc.
    I hope this has been of some help to you. Again, welcome to our board.
    Soft Hugs,
    Sandy (Cass)
  4. barny

barny New Member

hi barb iv just been told ive got fms i had rta in dec 02 now every part of my body hurts my dr first told me in feb went to see a rumatoligist who told me on top of whiplash i had fms i didnt now what it was nwver heard of it before my has be a dr for just 5 years im his first case so he took a real interst in me hes been great if you have agood dr your half way there i had an mri scan done the migrains i get now last for up to 5 days but ut came back clear just another part of fms my hands are the worst at the moment does any body else have good days and bad or is it just me
  5. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Hi Barb, welcome to the board. I have FM for 20 years. Was diagnosed by my family physician with what it was called then; Fibrositis, then later by an internist as having FM. Changed the name as they found FM does not have inflamation in the sore spots.

I just cut and pasted below an over all of what FM is, hope this answers some of your questions.

Also you can go to the 'HOme' and 'Library' links at the top of this page and do some research on FM, wonderful articles there for you to read.

Again, welcome to the board.

Shalom, Shirl

Overview: What is Fibromyalgia (FM)?
    ImmuneSupport.com

01-12-2001 -

How do you know if you have Fibromyalgia?

Prior to the late 1980s, (fibromyalgia) FM was frequently misdiagnosed because no evidence of FM appears on X-rays or through laboratory tests; nor is there a diagnostic marker in the blood. People with FM also often look healthy.

According to Jenny Fransen, R.N., and I. Jon Russell, M.D., Ph.D., authors of The Fibromyalgia Help Book, "One of the most frustrating aspects of fibromyalgia is that others cannot see or feel the magnitude of the pain you are experiencing. Family or friends may remark about how well you look. This is distressingly inconsistent with how terrible you feel."

A major change occurred when the 1990 American College of Rheumatology (ACR) published criteria for the diagnosis of FM. These criteria were widely accepted because they resulted from research provided by 20 clinical investigators throughout the United States and Canada. In addition, the criteria were simple to learn and use, highly specific and sensitive, and allowed for the identification of individuals with a similar pattern of biochemical abnormalities.

The ACR criteria for the classification of FM are:

History of widespread pain (must be present for at least 3 months)
    Pain is considered widespread when all of the following are present:

1. Pain in the left and right side of the body
    2. Pain above and below the waist
    3. Axial skeletal pain (cervical spine, anterior chest, thoracic spine, or low back)

Pain in 11 of the 18 tender point sites on digital palpation

1. Occiput bilateral, at the suboccipital muscle insertions
    2. Low cervical bilateral, at the anterior aspects of the intertransverse spaces at C5-C7
    3. Trapezius bilateral, at the midpoint of the upper border
    4. Supraspinatus bilateral, at origins, above the scapular spine near the medial border
    5. Second rib bilateral, at the second costochondral junctions, just lateral to the junctions on upper surfaces
    6. Lateral epicondyle bilateral, 2 cm distal to the epicondyles
    7. Gluteal bilateral, in upper outer quadrants of buttocks in anterior fold of muscle
    8. Greater trochanter bilateral, posterior to the trochanteric prominence
    9. Knees bilateral, at the medial fat pad proximal to the joint line

For a tender point to be considered positive, the subject must state that the palpation was "painful," a reply of "tender" is not to be considered painful.

Symptoms frequently associated with FM

-Pain
    -Sleep disturbance
    -Fatigue
    -Neurological symptoms
    -Headaches
    -Irritable bowel syndrome
    -Interstitial cystitis (inflammatory disorder affecting the walls of the bladder)
    -Numbness and tingling sensations
    -Joint pain
    -Chest wall pain
    -Sensitivity to cold
    -Memory and concentration difficulties
    -Anxiety and/or depression

6. barb55

barb55 New Member

Thank you for your warm welcome. I have been experiencing back and leg pain which could be associated with the 2 disc that are herniated. But for some time have had horrible bouts of IBS (what I call IBS) had my gallbladder out and that didn't really help with the bathroom problems. I suffer with headaches and naseua but most recent - and what is driving me crazy is this pain that feels like its under my skin. It's in both arms from the wrist to the elbow and it feels as if every nerve under the layer of skin is exposed. I have had urinary problems on and off since I was a kid and still have them. Just went to a urogyno and will have bladder testing soon. I also suffer with a flushed face (sometimes just 1/2 of it) and all of this seems to go into cycles. Neck pain, back pain, urine probs, pain in arms, head, flushed, stomach probs, glaucoma, I just don't know where to turn but feel like there has to be some connection somewhere.
    I will read all the info I can on this site and thank you for any input you have as well.