new here- Chiropractor question

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by moon~maiden, Jan 18, 2010.

1. moon~maiden

moon~maiden New Member

Hello! I'm Cheryl, I'm 35, and was diagnosed about 12 years ago with Fibromyalgia. I have it managed very well with hardly any problems now, mostly with a combo of diet (hardly any caffeine, low sugar) exercise and body work when I need it. In the past I have mostly done acupuncture and massage, but neither are covered by my insurance plan. Lately I have heard about chiropractic care helping for Fibro, up until this point I have dismissed it- but it *is* covered by my plan. I am pregnant with my second child and I need to do something to keep me from getting flared up with the extra weight and posture changes.

There seems to be a few different types of chiropractic care and I am wondering if anyone has any input or experience and could recommend a specific type of care I should look for?

thanks in advance.

2. 3gs

3gs New Member

Hi Cheryl and welcome

I have been seeing a NUCCA doc for years. That is upper cerivcal. They are classified right now as chiro but are fighting to change that.

This has made a huge diff in keeping me going. Personally I would not go to regular chiro,adjustments are to harsh. Look for one who is familar with fibro and gentle.

best of luck and congrats on pregnancy.
  3. moon~maiden

moon~maiden New Member

can you explain NUCCA for me? I too am looking for something gentle.
  4. stick2013

stick2013 Member

I have seen Chiro's off and on for over 30 years......I too have fibro, OA, PTSD and other issues that cause a lot of muscle issues...I think seeing a Chrio has helped tremendously.....

I actually had a pinched nerve in my neck once, that was causing me so much pain. I didn't know what it was and let it go for 8 months. When I finally saw a dr, he wanted me to see a surgeon ASAP.... I went to my Chiro, and he fixed me in 4 sessions.... No surgery needed.......
  5. 3gs

3gs New Member

Im not to good at explaining but will try.

At first thought it was weird but agreed to try it. You lay on your side and the only place the doc touches you is a featherlight touch behind your ear! You can actually hear your body respond and start relaxing. Trust me it aligns everything!

It has somehting to do with the way they postion thier hands. It has been around for awhile.

My doc doesnt take insurance,but by law they do have to bill Medicare.
    He hates insurance companies and most docs. He has been a godsend. more interested in helping me and staying up on info,then anyone else.

I didnt explain very well,try google or I will look for my info. Hopefully there is one near you.
  6. I have been going for many years. I was diagnosed in 2000 with FM. I like to do what I can for the symtoms naturally as possible. I do take meds but just the basic AD and Ultram for the pain. I go the the chiroprator, I lay down when pain is very bad..doze off a few and when I get up it has lightended up a bit. Message helps also. I just try to do what I can without just takeing more meds for far so good. Well I am never good but I have a son (7) with Aspergers and a daughter (17) bi-polar so I dont want to be doped up becasue they suck what little life in me I have and if I were to take strong meds I would not be able to get up and take care of them the bit that I do.

So "chiropractor" good for me :)

7. moon~maiden

moon~maiden New Member

I am really not sure exactly how my post ended up on the health board, I intended for it to be here. I really don't know what happened, sorry. It is possible it switched boards without my noticing and I was actually on the health board when I posted. It's possible I was here and it just ended up in the wrong place by a tech issue.

I googled NUCCA and it looks pretty good, but there is only one person in MA that does it apparently and that isn't close to me. Plus I can't do x-rays while pregnant, and I try to avoid x-rays unless it's 100% needed.

I really don't know *anything* about chiropractors. I've got to do some research.