New Here -- Excellent Site

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by suzbee, Sep 18, 2003.

1. suzbee

suzbee New Member

Hello, everyone,

This looks like a great group. I read your posts half the night (couldn't sleep), and I'm looking forward to reading more. I hope I can contribute in some way.

My husband and I both have FM and we are sure we have CFS as well. We've tried many things since 1997 with varying degrees of success (or not). We've both slipped far enough that we are having extreme difficulty handling our personal affairs, and nobody, including our family, seems to understand because we "look just fine." So we are looking for some strong ideas.

I really do have a sense of humor (it's hidden in there somewhere ;-) but today's not one o' them days ...

Thanks,
    suz
    P.S. Noticed there's already another member with the name "soozbee" -- hi there.
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Welcome aboard. I'm just curious; were you and your husband sick when you met or did you get sick later on?

In families with Gulf War Illness, the spouses, children, and even pets have become sick with the same symptoms as the vet.

Love, Mikie
  3. suzbee

suzbee New Member

Thank you for your welcome!

Hub and I have been together for 29 years, and were always very busy, active people. I think we both showed symptoms of FM about the same time ... 1995 or so ... What I call CFS came on for me in 1997 after pneumonia/pleurisy. In hub's case, CFS-like symptoms came on in 1998 after two big events -- we redecorated the house (carpet, vinyl, paint, bleah), and a disastrous business reversal.

We have an uncle who lives a few miles from us, who has suffered with FM/CFS many years.

We do have two old cats who seem just fine. As much as they sleep, they still work harder than we can. :)

Thanks again,
    suz
  4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Thanks for your answer. I'm always curious because our illnesses seem to run in families. In most cases, I think our illnesses are a result of being genetically predisposed and having a triggering event or events.

My Mom had FMS, I have both FMS and CFIDS, and both my daughters have FMS, one with interstitial cystitis, vulvadynia, and asthma in childhood. She still has residual problems from her asthma. I had adult-onset asthma which is better down her in FL. These conditions are all believed to be related. Also, one daughter had annorexia and my other daughter and I were hyperactive with attention deficits as children. Again, probably related.

I had to laugh about your cats. I think right now old cats are probably more capable than I.

Love, Mikie