NEW HERE - Fatigue - Do you fall asleep all the time?????

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by HopefulHeart, Mar 6, 2006.

1. HopefulHeart

HopefulHeart New Member

Hi,I'm new here. I have had fibro for a number of years, diagnosed verbally by an Internist, but never really been treated, since I have spent all my money treating my teenage daughter who also has fibro. Recently, I've apparently had a flare, where my fatigue has been excruciating. At this point the fatigue is much worse than the pain, so have been wondering if I really have Chronic Fatigue instead of fibro. Anyway, the fatigue feels like I am drugged or in a fog. If I sit down at all, anywhere, I fall asleep. I can fall asleep sitting up on the couch or even in a hard chair at the computer, and just cannot wake up. Does anyone else get this????? Is this normal for fibro or CFS????? Please help.
  2. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

I'm sorry to hear you and your daughter have FMS. Hon, you could have both CFIDS and FMS. It is very common for people to have both. I feel I only have FMS and not CFS, but sometimes I get so tired I can hardly do anything.

As it is my husband does all the cooking, the shopping and errands. I do very little here.

If I am in the recliner in the evening or laying on the sofa, I will surely fall asleep. No doubt about that.

I have found the Coenzyme Q10 I bought here at the Pro Health store to help me a lot with my fatigue. I don't need nearly as much sleep. I also just started on the B-12 sublingual from the store here and hope that will help me feel better in the long run.

I don't fall asleep sitting up, but I can come pretty close to it.

Welcome to the group. :)

Hugs,
    Faye
  3. HopefulHeart

HopefulHeart New Member

ilovecats94 and fibrotart,
    Thanks so much for your replies. I have had a number of relapses of the FMS for a number of years, but the main symptom was the pain, which I could always tolerate. But this recent relapse has me convinced that I also have CFS now too. I have never had fatigue like this !!! It's unbelievable and incredibly frustrating. I have days where I literally just cannot wake up. It's worst in the mornings where often all I do is get out of bed and go to the couch where I sit down and promptly fall asleep again sitting up. I may wake up briefly a number of times there but cannot actually wake up enough to get up from the couch usually until the afternoon. Obviously this is making it difficult to deal with life. Anyway, if anyone else has fatigue like this I'd appreciate knowing about just so I don't feel alone. And even better if you have ideas of what has worked for you to stop this sleeping and increase your energy I would really appreciate that too.
    {{{{{{Hugs to all of you}}}}}} Thanks
  4. texasmaia

texasmaia New Member

I agree with the posters who have added the CFS but I want to remind some of you.......sleep apnea is a culprit that is easily not recognized in our world of other disorders. Somehow it fades in the background.

Sleep apnea can afflict anyone, any age, gender, weight, health, etc. It can and does coexist with our conditions and as I said it is overlooked.

There are also other sleep disorders. My husband who was severely afflicted with sleep apnea could literally fall asleep while eating, standing, talking, anytime. It took me years to convince him to get it checked. This can cause major health problems, including heart attack, stroke and death.

Not trying to scare anyone, or diagnose anyone. Just a simple reminder to keep your minds eye wide open to possibilities.

Seek your doctors expertise. Whatever the problem is, sleep is a main function that you need to have a healthy regimen of. Find out what is causing it and then work on it before it causes more problems for you.

I do remember the final months before my diagnosis and I, too, was exhausted beyond belief. Once I began to treat the FM that severity of sleep deprivation went away for the most part.

Blessings to you,
    Maia
  5. mamabear2157

mamabear2157 New Member

Hi HopefulHeart. After reading your message, I had to write to you. Before I was actually diagnosed with Chronic Fatigue, all I did was sleep 24/7.

Infact, at my worst point, my landlord had come up to my apartment, and I never even knew he was there. When my daughter came home from her boyfriend's baseball game, he asked her if I was ok. He then told her that he had been in the apartment and I didn't even wake up. The worst part was that when I would wake up for a few minutes, it felt like I hadn't even slept.

I am a little better now. I hope I NEVER get that bad again. It is really scary to know that someone was in my apartment and I didn't even know it.

I don't know if this helps you or not, but I am here for you, and definitely know where you are coming from.

Gentle hugs,

Mary Ellen
  6. teacher

teacher New Member

until I went to a sleep clinic. I was diagnosed with sleep apnea and now a use a CPAP. I still get tired, but I don't go to sleep any and everywhere like I used to. Check into it!
  7. mme_curie68

mme_curie68 New Member

For me the whole FMS journey started because of the fatigue. I also have the joint pain, etc. but for me the primary issue right now is coping with the fatigue.

My doc has put me on a small (5 mg) dose of Adderall that I can take up to 3x/day. Apparently the ADD drugs can be helpful in this area. I have been using it for 3 days and find that it does help. But when I started keeping a sleep diary I found that I am waking up several times a night as well and that can be a culprit also because I'm not staying in REM sleep long enough to refresh the brain.

So I finally know what "Fibro. Fog" means because despite the assistance of the Adderall, I was OUT of it today at work. Couldn't concentrate, had to ask people to repeat themselves over and over again.

I am supplementing the meds with a good multivitamin, and just purchased some NADH and CoQ10 to see if it will help improve my energy levels on the natural front. I'm willing to try just about anything to see if I can get some relief.

Whatever works wins : )
    Madame Curie
  8. HopefulHeart

HopefulHeart New Member

for your help. I should say that I am looking for a new doctor right now (the one I have now is worthless) and I had planned on asking for a sleep study first of all to check whether I had sleep apnea. So, if they find that, I will take care of that first and then take it from there.

Thanks to you all,

Hugs,
    HopefulHeart
  9. illnative

illnative New Member

Dear HopefulHeart,

I was diagnosed 2 years ago with FMS due to chronic pain. But last fall, I began to get so lathargic during flares that I could not control my sleep. I have given up driving due to a close call and only drive when I am feeling really "chipper".
    When I am having this problem, I will sleep the majority of the time for some days. Then, like all other symptoms, I get a reprieve. I have noticed that it is happening frequently and I can no longer plan any driving trips alone. I'd spend most of my time in hotels trying to "sleep it off". I have not talked to my rheumatologist about this but from talking to you all, I suspect I also have CFS. Have many crossover symptoms.
    The lethargy is the worse symptom though. I miss my independence and have a newly married daughter in NC that I'm only able to go visit if someone can go with me.
    Yes, I know exactly what you are talking about.
  10. ilovepink4

ilovepink4 Member

madame curie...i am jealousof you..i asked my doc if i could try it for fatigue and he wouldn't let me,,i am trying to remember exactly why...i think he was concerned about addiction...or something...he implied it was somehow not a good idea...are there lotws of people out there on adderall for fatigue??? i really could use something to snap out of it..

one thing to remember is the faigue for me is the worst when i am overdoing it! today i am exhausted and i lots of pain ...i have been pushing it since last friday....i am going to lay in bed all day, if i can get away with it...hopefully dh will take charge with the troops....(the 4 kiddies that is)

good luck hopeful heart...don't feel alone anymore..i am new here too and i so grateful for all of the support...it is hard to find in "real" life..
  11. Staceymarie

Staceymarie New Member

When I'm in a flare, I would sleep 18-19 hours at a time and wake up and feel like I had not slept in days. I could not hold my eyes open. When I got it, I would stay that way for 6-7 mos. I hated it, but what could you do other than sleep?

Hope it gets better for ya soon!

[ advertisement ]