New here-fibromyalgia question

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by hope29, Aug 15, 2005.

1. hope29

hope29 New Member

Hi,
    I have fibromyalgia. My main symptoms are fatique and tender points in neck, back, hips. I take Cymbalta but it has not helped much with pain. The worst pain is in my neck. Can anyone tell me what this is from? And how can I control the pain? I have had x-rays and they were normal. A highly stressful event triggered fibro for me and now I can't seem to get rid of it. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
  2. lovethesun

lovethesun New Member

You need to tell your doctor that the cymbalta isn't working.Was he the one that diagnosed you with fibro.You probably need stronger meds.

You can try heat or cold paks.Also I sleep with a memory foam pillow.It helps the neck supprt.Again glad you are here.Linda
  3. Mary100

Mary100 New Member

Hello,

Sorry to hear you have fibro, too.

I just got dxd last week. A few months ago, I had headaches and neck pain and the dr sent me to physical therapy. It really helped and my neck doesn't really hurt much anymore. You might give it a try if you can. It kindof hurts, but it's worth it in the end.
  4. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Glad to have you join us, but sorry you were diagnosed with FM.

I do not take meds, am allergic to them, but like Nanna said try the search for Cymbalta, lots of information on it from the members here.

As for the neck pain, what might help till you get to your doctor is rice socks.

Fill a mans tube sock three quarters full of raw rice, tie the end. You can put them in the microwave for a heat pack, or in the freezer if you want cold.

They work wonderful for FM pain, like a heating pad without the cord. They fit perfect around the neck too.

Again, welcome to the board, and hope we hear from you often.

Shalom, Shirl
  5. Suzan

Suzan New Member

Because fibro comes complete with tender points at the back of our heads! Sometimes it feels like I have a bad headache..but then I will gently feel the back of my head..and sure enough those points are wickedly tender. Not a real headache at all! I agree that rice socks may help you alot. I also do yoga...and that really helps me stay in a bit less pain.
  6. suzyp51

suzyp51 New Member

I also have alot of neck pain with my fibro...after a bad bout a neurologist did an mri on my neck & it showed herniated dics...i dont believe these were found on a normal xray...i currently taking physical therapy (traction, heat, ultrasound, exercises & massage) & it seems to help. I also get numbness in my arms when I lay down.
  7. ladybird1

ladybird1 New Member

Gld to have you on board. Sorry you have fibro.
    My neck is one of my worse spots. I've tried heat, physical therapy, had trigger point injections. Right now a pain managment doctor thinks there is some nerve inflammation in or around my neck causing me to have problems with my hands.
    I just finished a steroid pack and have an EMG scheduled this week.

All I can tell you is hang in there. DIfferent things work at different times for different people.

Again welcome.
  8. jake123

jake123 New Member

One word - Flexeril - 10 mgs. taken at night when you go to bed. It helps relax your neck and even carries through to the next day. It also helps you sleep. Ask your doctor if he thinks it would be appropriate for you.
  9. JLH

JLH New Member

Welcome to our board and online support group. You will like it here, and I hope you come back often!!

I worked full-time for 30 years, but took early retirement ue to poor health. When I was working, my neck and shoulders were my worst pain. I also ask the doctor to take an xray, and it came back normal. He exlained that a lot can not be seen in an xray, so he ordered a CAT scan. He wanted to do an MRI, but I have a pacemaker and can't get the MRI.

The CAT scan ended up revealing that I had the following problems in my neck:

-degenerative disks
    -buldging disks
    -thecal sac effacement
    -bone spurs
    -paramedian disk herniation
    -spinal canal stenosis, moderate
    -compression of exiting nerve root
    -cervical spondylosis, moderate to severe
    -facet arthropathy

So, sometimes it pays to keep after your doc to do more.

I have been through physical therapy and do have some mild pain pills for when it really acts up.

(((Hugs)))
    Janet
  10. Tiels

Tiels New Member

welcome! hope 29, so sorry you though you have the fm.

My neck is pretty well healthy, but when it hurts, it hurts like the dickens. The muscle relaxer Skellaxin works pretty well for me. Everyone is different~~ you'll have to ask your doc. There's a lot of good suggestions above!

Goed Luck!! Hope you're feeling better soon.
  11. Sandyz

Sandyz New Member

I`m glad you joined us. I have horrid neck pain right now. It finally got better when I remember my muscle relaxer, skelaxin. I am almost out though so I need to call my doctor to get it refilled.

Sandy