New here...have questions...please help

Discussion in 'General Health & Wellness' started by Valkatie, Feb 16, 2009.

1. Valkatie

Valkatie New Member

I've been researching thyroid issues for a little over a year now. I have a great family history of thyroid issues. Grandmother, mother and two sisters all with thyroid disease. For some reason with every one of us it has hit us right before delivery of our last child. My son is now 10 months old and of course my issues are still going strong.

It started when I was 9 months pregnant. Started with chest pains, heart palps, shortness of breath, brain fog and sudden onset of panic attacks that scared the skin off of me. At that time I had no clue what was going on. My dr told me it was because I was pregnant and that it would go away once I had the baby. He was wrong. I told him of my family thyroid problems and he checked my TSH. Nothing else. I didn't know enough to tell him to dig deeper. Everything came back fine.

Over the next 2-3 months it wasn't getting any better and I knew with everything in me that there was a problem. I knew I didn't have PPD. I went to my family dr and told him all of my problems. He of course like my OB said it was because I had just had a baby yada yada yada. I wasn't buying it and told him so. I told him to look further because I KNEW my thyroid was screwy. I got a call back a day later saying to come in that he needed to talk to me. I went in and he was shocked to say the least. I was diagnosed with hyperthryoidism. My free T3 was 6.4 if I remember correctly. (how high is that, I don't really understand the numbers?)Which didn't surprise me any.

He wanted to do RAI but I am breastfeeding my son. I would have to quit nursing and at the time and still to this day I can't. Of course the one time I need to have the baby take bottles he won't take them. I've tried many types and he just isn't interested. I did finally find one last week that he took with a little formula. I'm going to try and get him used to the bottles so I can slowly wean him off the breast. He is now 10 months old so I think it will be ok.

I just know that I want to feel better. The first few months of my sons life I hardly remember because I was in such a fog not to mention the panic attacks had me by the throat. If anyone can give me some insight on RAI and what happens and how fast I would really appreciate it. I've tossed the idea back and forth for so long because I've heard a lot of bad things about it. But I'm just desperate to feel normal again. I hate being mad all the time, on edge...you name the symptom I have it. But if you could share your story with me that would be wonderful.

Thank you for reading my novel. lol
  2. TwoCatDoctors

TwoCatDoctors New Member

Sorry about your situation. You might want to also put this on the Thyroid board here and that would get your post to more people and particularly to those with thyroid problems. Good luck and I wish you the best.