New Here, Is there a CURE for FMS?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by WifeHasFMS, Sep 17, 2002.

1. WifeHasFMS

WifeHasFMS New Member

Hello everybody,

My wife has Fibromialgia. She has tried all sorts of meds, diets, etc. Is there anybody there who knows of a cure? I know I'm asking allot but it's my wife and I am hoping to find a way to relieve her of it.

Thank you for your time,

WifeHasFMS
  2. WifeHasFMS

WifeHasFMS New Member

Hello everybody,

My wife has Fibromialgia. She has tried all sorts of meds, diets, etc. Is there anybody there who knows of a cure? I know I'm asking allot but it's my wife and I am hoping to find a way to relieve her of it.

Thank you for your time,

WifeHasFMS
  3. TeresaBnGA

TeresaBnGA New Member

Unfortunately there is no cure for this disease. Although, there are some good treatments out there to help relieve some of her symptoms. You just mainly have to do a trial and error process on the meds, because no one thing works for everybody. I, myself, have a medicine cabinet full of meds that didn't work for me. It gets expensive. I am on a combo of meds now that have helped more than others have, but they still have not made it all go away. I still have flares and have been in a flare for 4 days now and it just won't let go.
    Post some more specific symptoms and info on your wife and you will get some good information back from us. But none will be a cure just what has worked for us and our symptoms.

Soft hugs!
    Teresa :)
  4. WifeHasFMS

WifeHasFMS New Member

She has pain in a different location of her body each day. She has been on allot of different meds that work temporarily. She can not sleep well. The more she walks the better she feels. She worries about everybody but herself first. I try to tell her to slow down but she's always on the go. She is a hairdresser. On her feet cutting hair about 50-60 hours per week. She can not tell friends and customers NO! They do not realize what is involed with FMS. I tell her to slow down and she gets upset.

Thanks
  5. WifeHasFMS

WifeHasFMS New Member

Could this Mycoplasma stay in your system for years?
  6. LisaMay

LisaMay New Member

there was a cure for FMS. It certainly make it easier. Unfornately, there is not. Walking is a great way to help ease the daily pain. Gentle stretching is also good. I give your wife a round of applause for putting in the long hours as a hairdresser - been there. She must learn to put herself first. This is not simple to do, but will make life easier.

I have only been diagnosed for a short time, but the regimen of meds is endless. Everybody has to find what works for them. I take Ambien to help sleep - and it helps. I still don't feel completely rested in the morning, but I get a full nights sleep and that's really important.

The body is a strange and wonderful thing. We need to take care of it - it's the only one we get! Good luck. LisaMay
  7. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Glad to have you join us! So sorry, but as far as anyone knows there is no cure for FM/CFS. We are really having symptoms treated, not cured.

If you want an education on these illnesses, just go to the top of this page where it says;'Home', Library, and Community, and read! There is a lot of recent research being done, but no cure in sight.

You can tell your wife for me, that if she does not slow down now, she will have no choice later! I was one of those people who did not know how to say 'no' either. Well, I sure in heck wish I had then, maybe I would not be in this bad a shape now.

I have had Fibro for 20 plus years. It does not get better as time goes on. I went through the presciption meds, then realized it was doing ME more harm than good.

So I started to educate myself, and I am now on supplements and doing better than I have in years.

If you are interested, I will tell you what I take and what it has done for me.

In the mean time go to the 'Store' link on the right top of this page and read about Pro Health's supplements. They are an education in themselves. Many doctors are trying supplements along with meds for their patients.

Again, welcome to the board, and make your wife slow down!

Shalom, Shirl
  8. LilSis

LilSis New Member

Dear concerned Hubby. First of all, thanks for being a supportive hubby. A lot of us do not have that luxury & I hope your wife realizes this!

I believe you said it has just been diagnosed. Unfortunatley, it all gets worse from here. Even though FMS is not progressive itself, it has a slew of FMS related onset symptoms.
    Everyone is right, there is no cure as of yet, but the more info you can get your hands on, the better. Try these for starters:
    One of my favs is: Fibromyalgia & Chronic Myofascial Pain Syndrome: A Survivors Manual, written by Devin Starlanyl.
    I ordered mine directly from the Publisher, but I think you can get them @ Barnes & Noble. The best thing is that it is written in "layman's terms" Lots of people on this board have it. She also has an incredible website: www.sover.net/~devstar. Matter of fact Shirl turned me on to it!

One of the best things she can do is coming to this board as often as you can. It will help her AND YOU to feel NORMAL...

Good Luck & hang in there
    xoxo,
    LilSis
    [This Message was Edited on 09/17/2002]
  9. swen

swen New Member

Your wife is very lucky you understand. I have been diagnosed with FMS since 1996 and my husband is only just beginning to understand the complexities of this disease. If your wife doesn't slow down now, she will regret it later. The more she works, the more pain she will probably feel, which will make her more anxious and depressed. She will probably end up taking far more medication which may or may not work which will in turn start the cycle all over again. If she has not already read the posts on this site, it should be required reading for her. She must take care of herself - no one can do it for her.
    Take care of yourself too. Partners and families can suffer along with us and need to be strong.
  10. garyandkim

garyandkim New Member

We both have FMS and CFS. May I say a big Ditto, you are one great hubby. At the top of each page here there is a post. click in and you can get the free brouchers. Up to 99 sent at a time. These would be a great start for those around your wife and everyone in her life and yours. It's brief and helps explaine. I give them and print outs of reports to others and my doc wants more. The Lib here and the home page have the best articles around and the most comprehensive. Hope your wife come abord to. We found this to be the greatest site on the web/net. We to have found as we go on more symtoms crop up. There are symtoms lists here to and the search function just above the the posts is great. If you can't find something just ask. I was just told today that carpal tunnel syndrom is common with FMS and I had the EMG at the nurologists today and found out I have it in both hands. She must pace herself nut, she has to learn that herself. It's the old you can lead the hourse to water but, you can't make it drink problem. Denial is also normal. There are so many symtoms that can come with this and to know is to be prepared in case. We always tell people that Knowledge is the power and research is the key.

Good luck to you you wounderful husband, Kim and Gary
  11. Sunshyne1027

Sunshyne1027 New Member

I wish there were more husbands like you that care enough to ask for help. I admire you for that.

I think just be supportive of her. She has to come to terms with Fibromyalgia. There may be a day when she wont be able to work, if she keeps thinking about everyone else, and not think about herself.And then working them hours like that.

I sometimes believe that not taking care of oneself, it leads into fibro symptoms. The lack of sleep too.

She will figure it out, just continue to support her.
  12. Msagn

Msagn New Member

I don't think there is any one magic bullet for this disease. Over the last several years I think I've tried almost everything that has been mentioned on the board. If your wife is not diabetic you might try a search on microdose
    Read...Read...Read Educate yourself and keep reading. The answer for your wife is out there someplace. It's been the difference of night and day for my pain.

Best of luck to you and your wife.
  13. dolsgirl

dolsgirl New Member

You can find relief for your symptoms. My husband is also VERY supportive. I also worked myself like a dog & have paid a severe price for it, so tell your wifee to cut it back to 40 initially, that's not asking too much. I plan to return to work within the month & hope it all goes well. I want to work as long as I can. Good luck and keep up your research. dolsgirl
  14. sybil

sybil New Member

makes me worse!
    so as you can see,FMS is different for everyone who has it.

on friday i went to Chester to look for a feather top matress,a 16 mile car journey,the farthest i have been for 4 months.we walked around,looked in a few shops,i had to sit down after about 45 minutes,my muscles were really sore and i had tremors.we had another walk,then went home.
    it has taken me 3 days to get over that outing!
    i take Amitriptyline,supposedly to help me sleep,it isn't working.i take a few supplements,some people take quite a lot.
    i live in the U.K. where current medical opinion states FMS/CFS is psychological and the only thing they recommend here,is a trip to a psychiatrist and physio!!

sybilxxx
  15. WifeHasFMS

WifeHasFMS New Member

Thank you for the Info you replied. I appreciate it. I hope they come up with a cure for my wife and all of you helpful friends.

16. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

The bad news is that no one knows what causes our illnesses and currently, there is no cure. The good news is that you found us. Welcome aboard. This website has tons of info in its library and our members do a great job of keeping everyone up to date on the latest research they have read about. The library has a search feature, as does this message board.

People who do the best are those who are very well informed regarding their illness and its treatments. What works for one person may not work for another, so it's a trial-and-error process.

What you describe in your wife's approach sounds a lot like denial. I did this until I worked my self into the ground and have been unable to work for almost two years. I am hoping to return to work eventually because some of my treatments are showing promise, but the going is slow. Perhaps if I had listened to my body years ago, I would not have gotten so sick and my recovery would not have taken so long.

Bless you for being a concerned husband and trying to help. Your wife is lucky.

Love, Mikie
  17. griswoldgirl

griswoldgirl New Member

I WOULD BE HONORED TO HAVE YOU AS A HUSBAND. yOU COMING TO THIS BOARD AND POSTING LIKE YOU DID MEANS YOU LOVE HER VERY MUCH. yOU KEEP THAT LOVE AND SUPPORT OPEN TO HER AND THAT IN ITSELF WILL HELP HER MORE THAN YOU KNOW!

GOD BLESS

CATHY AKA GRISWOLDGIRL
  18. RedB

RedB New Member

Just a short note, Sybil, about your 16 mile car trip. Before you cross off all walking to help yourself, try it a couple of times without taking a car ride first(short distances first, then work up to longer ones). It took me quite awhile to find out that it was actually the car rides, and not the walking/shopping that was doing me in. I now know that a car ride just sets me back -- I have no idea why. But at least knowing that has saved my sanity, because I thought I was going nuts at first. A 30 minute ride to Wal-Mart and a bit of short shopping would make me sick for 2 days, when I had been actually feeling fairly good when I left. The trick to taking walks is to start out with short distances -- maybe only 1/4 mile or less -- at first, and then build up if you can. I actually love walking now. I occassionally have pain during it, but it's worth it just to get out there and enjoy the world.
  19. sybil

sybil New Member

every day and it hurts me!!
    we live in a tiny village,if i want to go anywhwere to shop,which i don't usually do anymore,my partner does the food shopping now,we have to drive there.this is the longest car journey i have had in 4 months,since i have been off sick from work.i haven't been to see my mum,she lives 40/50 miles away, in over 6 months.it is an hours car journey.but i have to see her next week,it's her birthday.
    i don't go on 3 mile hikes every day,i take a 15 minute walk to the village and back.yesterday i caught the bus into the nearby town to get my eyes tested,a 15/20 minute bus journey,followed by about an hour wandering round.today i'm wrecked,i had a rotten nights sleep.
    i find i have more trouble sleeping the more i do.my muscles twitch and i can have tremors in my hands if i use them too much,or carry things for too long and of course,i get more pain.
    i'm certainly not sitting around all the time,i'm up and down the stairs all day,i have to pee every half an hour or so!

sybilxxx
    [This Message was Edited on 09/18/2002]
  20. Bernadine

Bernadine New Member

I am new to the message board but not new to FM. I have all the problems the rest of you have plus Lupus, Spinal Stenosis,4 Buldging Disc's in neck and spine, both shoulder's that needed surgery for rotor cuff tears, knee, elbow and the list goes on! I started FM as a small child..I am now 68yrs. and still looking for relief from pain. I am embarrased to tell people about my health when asked and believe it or not, I am always told, "but you don't look sick...you look great"..I was reading all the messages today and want to say you have all given the husband who wrote about his wife having FM and I believe you all have given him wonderful advice. This web site Glows with compassion and kindness.
    "RedB" your answer about walking and driving was exactly one of the problems I have and one of the hardest things to explain to my husband. He thinks taking me for a drive etc. will get me out of the house and walking will limber me up!
    Thanks for your explaination of what it feels like and how long it take to
    get back to "normal". Keep up the good work.
    Bernadine