New here. Long post. ADD drugs help???

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by linfull, Aug 9, 2006.

1. linfull

linfull New Member

I'm looking for some answers/advice. Not sure about fibro, but I have five symps of CFS.

Here goes...Age age 18 I finally came down with chicken pox. At age 21 I was hospitalized for three days with mono and tonsillitis (BTW I am 37 now). About three yrs ago I was bitten by a tick and never thought much of it. No bulls eye rash (not sure if that even matters. Just mentioning it). In very stressful situations, the inside of my lips all around my mouth will breakout with cold sores.

In March of 2005, I was feeling dreadful, tired, in a fog, exhausted. Then I had a rash breakout and discovered I had shingles. After that I have never felt "right".

I went back to my doc in June of 2005 and said all of my joints hurt, I'm achy, exhausted. I sleep 10 hours a night, get up tired and achy, go back to bed for a couple hours, take a nap or two during the day and I'm ready for bed by 8 and repeat. I can't exercise as I have to spend the next day or two sleeping to recover. Drew blood. RH factor came back high at 24 and positive ANA. My doc was positive I had RA. My aunt has polymyalgia rheumatica and her daughter has ankylosing spondylitis. Went to rheumatologist and was tested for lupus, RA and scleroderma and everything came back okay. She said to call if my joints every swell (which I did have joint swelling 14 years ago the week of my wedding. Was told I had an infection go into all of my joints, but my RH factor came back high then also).

Doc put me on Effexor. It didn't do anything for me except make my moods flat and eat like crazy. Last month, I decided to stop the Effexor and asked my doc for something to help me lose some weight. We started Fastin. It is like I am a new person, like a switch has been turned on. No brain fog. Aching is much less. NO NAPS! Waking up refreshed. I can concentrate. No short term memory loss. My husband said I am like a different person.

I am going to see my doctor in two days. I am wondering has anyone else had this effect with Fastin or any ADD drug or am I out there alone?? I have read about connections between FMS and ADD, but not alot with CFS. Thanks so much for info. It will be greatly appreciated.
    [This Message was Edited on 08/09/2006]
  2. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

to the board. Lots of nice people here.

Sorry; never heard of Fastin. I've been taking Effexor for years. haven't gained weight, but some posters have said they did.
  3. linfull

linfull New Member

I was wondering if I was having sort of a placebo effect where I had convinced myself I was really feeling better. I gave my husband an ADD test and told him to rate me. He pretty much answered yes to everything except impulsiveness and looking over my life, I have had lots of ADD symptoms. It is so wonderful to have my brain working again and to feel alive and to have energy and to want to do things. Thank you so much for replying. I will be surfing around when I am on vacation next week and will be doing lots of reading!
  4. Kay31

Kay31 Member

Hi -

I had not heard of this med before so looked it up on the Net. It is described as a diet pill - or appetite suppressant. To my knowledge, it's not used for ADD.

Do you have more info on it?
  5. linfull

linfull New Member

It is a diet pill, but has the same amphetamine qualities as Ritalin, etc. My doctor tries it on patients sometimes to see if it helps any ADD symptoms before putting them on Ritalin or other ADD drugs. If you have ADD, the Fastin tends to help you focus, slow down your thoughts, makes it so you can organize. Fastin is for short term only. Usually 90 days. It's generic name is phentermine.